Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and just recently bought a 97 del sol with vtec. I've got the urge to improve my ride's performance but I'm not sure which path I should go concerning turbo, blower, or staying with natural aspiration. I've been thinking about engine swapping with a prelude :evil (not sure which of the H series I'd go for. I think the H23 is slightly bigger than the H22 but gets less hp. ) Anyways...I just wanted to know the pros and cons of goin through those 3 different routes and if I should do an engine swap. I want to keep my car as a daily driver but turn it into at least a 10 sec car so I think it's somewhere from 500 hp to 600hp. Also need to know how much this might cost me. Oh yeah...almost forgot. I was also thinkin about converting it from fr drive to rr drive. Would this be advisable?

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
how ever fast you want to go depends on how deep your pockets are. I don't know your financial situation but before you decide to go any forced induction, or crazy N/A route (i mean like raised compression and wicked cams) you should know your budget.

and yes search around, see what other people have done, what they have spent, and if you need any help don't be scared to shoot anyone on here a PM or post a question

the worst we'll do is flame you and tell you to search :hehe good luck man

·
Registered
959 Posts
You probably shouldn't do anything if you think blowers are for 4 cylinders. If you want that fast a car with reliability you're going to have to turbo either a B series motor or H series. So expect to spend about 10 grand

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A true all-motor setup is hardly streetable. If you're hardocre all motor, you're running some crazy pistons (12:1?), a hardtuned camshaft setup that sounds like ass at idle, and some kind of crazy intake. I've seen guys fab ITB's, and I've seen guys take the skunk2 IM to some kind of mutant that sucks air in like a vaccuum. It's a lot of money, it's labor intesive (lots of work, tuning), and it's a precision engine. not one you want to drive to work everyday.

Turbos can be tuned for daily driving or for hardcore horsepower. You can get a nice setup, tune it, and rune 7-8psi daily. Especially now that the honda turbo thing is mainstream, finding a shop to help you tune/troubleshoot the engine won't be a problem. But finding a shop that will help you run it smoothly at 17psi on trackdays might be hard, and it'll cost you in dyno time and tuning software. Turbo's are very versatile.

S/C is kinda the best of both worlds. You get great hp, and daily driveability. Granted, you won't get the max hp that a turbo setup is capable of, but you'll gte a hint of that honda reliability. There are lots of kits out there that bolt right up, and are easy to maintain.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
a turbo car can be just as reliable as a sc it's all in the tune and how well you are at keeping up on the maintenance. More frequent oil changes, always keeping an eye on things, listening for odd sounds, checking spark plugs for detonation. Making sure there are adequate oil levels every time you take the car out. Only using premium gas. Whenever you enter the world of forced induction it's as reliable as you want it to be. There are no kits you can just slap on and think it's as reliable as it was stock. But if you keep up on things and make sure the car is always well taken car of, then it will be reliable. Just remember: Fast, Cheap, Reliable...choose two

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I meant the H22 gets more power and torque than the h23 due to the vtec...I think anyways. However since the h23 has more displacement perhaps it has more potential to have more torque right? But anyways, thanks for the input. I'll try searching for the rear wheel conversion stuff.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
why not find a scraped crv, and make it awd?

;)

i wish i had money to get my sol back and do such a thing. they made a supercharges itr awd scca rally car... and also an awd turboed crx... why not a del sol?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
making the del sol rwd or awd is going to cost you some BIG bucks...it's not cheap to do or else you would see a lot more of it being done...and from what I heard the crv drivetrain can't hold up the kind of power you are wanting to make...it can be done, but like I said, it's going to cost you...I hope you got some majorly DEEP pockets my friend...I know a guy here in asheville that said he could do that for me, but he would have to do so much custom work that in the end, he estimated it would cost me about 20g's...if I had that kind of money I would have been like ok, do it then, but I don't so I was like WHOA! It's all up to you though...you gotta pay to play...

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
solblu said:
The CRV drivetrain isn't all wheel drive....so you couldn't use it. It would all be fab work, easier to make RWD H22.
I have had shops tell me that they could use the crv drivetrain to make my car awd...so why would they say that if the crv wasn't all wheel drive? technically they call it real time 4WD, but that's the same thing as awd...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want to keep my car as a daily driver but turn it into at least a 10 sec car so I think it's somewhere from 500 hp to 600hp.
If you level of expertise is novice, somewhat knowlegable, but less than a competent wrench turning guru, the above statement is not going to happen.

A few people have pulled it off, but the machines are definitely not "grocery getters" in their non-racing daily driving form.

And not to start the NA, turbo, blower wars..........blowers are just fine for four bangers. Not an optimal drag race forced induction application. However, I've manage to kick some turbo ass with my Vortech unit (10 psi). :evil Still, recommend turbo for race applications (especially 10 second/500 HP gorillas).

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Warped Sol said:
If you level of expertise is novice, somewhat knowlegable, but less than a competent wrench turning guru, the above statement is not going to happen.

A few people have pulled it off, but the machines are definitely not "grocery getters" in their non-racing daily driving form.

And not to start the NA, turbo, blower wars..........blowers are just fine for four bangers. Not an optimal drag race forced induction application. However, I've manage to kick some turbo ass with my Vortech unit (10 psi). :evil Still, recommend turbo for race applications (especially 10 second/500 HP gorillas).
:stupid , it's very hard to hit high HP numbers on a honda with a blower.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Phantom_Sol said:
why not find a scraped crv, and make it awd?

;)

i wish i had money to get my sol back and do such a thing. they made a supercharges itr awd scca rally car... and also an awd turboed crx... why not a del sol?

two of my deepest dreams: awd integra and awd del sol....

blowers are good for 4-cyl engines that need low end, since blowers dont have the lag of turbos....

personally i would probly go turbo awd if i could have my way... that way you can crank up the boost or turn it down to nearly nothing, or leave it the way it is (na and fwd) and scavange for power around the existing motor... its there waiting to be found

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
here in little ole' asheville there are quite a few 500+hp daily driven whips...one of them is owned by the guy who said he could make my car AWD using the crv drivetrain...he owns a nasty 3000gt...there are a bunch of honda-heads around here pushin mad weight too...but they are all dicks so you can't really talk to them much...and as for the guy with the question about pushin 220hp with a blower on a b16...yeah a blower can produce that while keeping it reliable...but a turbo would be way better bc you don't have to stop and change pulley size to either decrease or increase the boost ...at least with a turbo you can have a hi and lo boost setting and change it at the push of a button...but either way anyone wishes to go, I think that unless you are racing your ish at a track, something between 200-350hp to the wheels is more than enough...unless you have the kind of money it would take to maintain a 500hp beast...then it doesn't matter...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.