Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will be finished in a few days and a friend of mine told me that u have to break in ur car when u add turbo.........he said u have to run low boost for about 500 miles so that ur car get "used to being boosted"..... Have any of u guys ever done this or heard of it?
I know u have to break in a built motor.........but do u have to break it in if the motor is still stock?:confused:

· Registered
273 Posts
is it a fully built motor? fresh rebuild? fresh swap?

if the motor has had work done to it, run low boost not to break in the turbo but to break in the engine and clutch, and once the engine gets broken in then turn up the boost.
but even if you run high boost, you shouldnt be flooring it so you wouldn't be using all that boost anyway

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all stock internals cuz i dont plan to go past 10 psi......my engine's compression ratio is low enough. Do i still need to "get my motor used to boost"?

· Registered
1,863 Posts
what are you going to do to break in the turbo? sit in your garage and turn the compressor blade by hand 100,000 times before you install the snail?

· Registered
172 Posts
make sure you pour some oil in the center section before you start it up. you dont want to start the car with the turbo dry.. id also unplug the distributor and crank the engine over a few times to prime the turbo some more...

· Registered
4,657 Posts
you dont have to dump oil into it , but yes unplug the dist and the fuel injector harness and crank it over, it will run oil thru the line . thats what i did and my turbo is fine . i have had it on and off the car numerous numerous times

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Thats what they call breaking in the turbo, adding oil to it before you install it(useless, but if you want to be really sure), and cranking it without starting (samething as addind oil before installing it). You don't have to add oil before installing it, the oil pressure rises as soon as engine cranks over. Also, make sure you change your oil, check your spark plugs, and have high octane fuel in. Start at 6 psi or lower.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
You don't have to sit there and remove all this injector and distributor shit just to crank the motor without starting it.

Just gank the ECU fuse and crank away.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
yea just like the others said...no need to break in the turbo except to make sure you crank it at least 3 times for 15 seconds at a time to make sure the oil gets up there before the motor is started.
first time you take the car out drive like you would normally do and stop often to check all the connections. if everything seems ok then you could put the pedal to the metal.....just make sure you keep an eye out on the boost gauge. that gauge will be your best friend from now on. if you see it getting out of hand let off the gas.

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gob_2k said:
Thats what they call breaking in the turbo, adding oil to it before you install it(useless, but if you want to be really sure), and cranking it without starting (samething as addind oil before installing it). You don't have to add oil before installing it, the oil pressure rises as soon as engine cranks over. Also, make sure you change your oil, check your spark plugs, and have high octane fuel in. Start at 6 psi or lower.
Hey gob..... im pratically running the same setup as yours......did u dyno tune yours yet? What kind of numbers are u getting?
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.