Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 civic (d15)1.5l w/ 5spd is a turbo a good thing to put on this engine i dont have money for engine swap but i have funds for turbo alreay has exaust and intake also would it still be dependablke?

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
with that motor you have the dpfi, that is garbage, i would switch to mpfi and do a mini me conversion personally, then work from there. with those to switch ups, you will be happy with the way your car runs

·
Registered
747 Posts
how do you not have funds for a swap, but you have the money for turbo? if your on a tight budget, go pick up a LS B18B and swap it. then build on it from there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funds

you can purchase turbo kits new on ebay for $1000.00 but a *****h around were i live are hard to come by and on ebay your looking at atleast $600.00 plus $250.00 for shipping and thats for the single cam 1.6l *****h then im also looking at tranny,ecu,dada dada dada = major bucks compared to the 1g for the greddy t3 turbo kit my friend spent $3500.00 on engine swap and thats using the tranny already in his car

·
Registered
747 Posts
the B18B is just a better platform for future mods (compared with the D15 that is). and it's the cheapest of all DOHC swaps. you can throw a turbo on the D15 you have now and you'll be right there with a lightly modded B18B. but you'll also be getting close to reaching the reliabilty/performance threshold of the D15. after that you'll really have to strengthen the internals and drivetrain...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
the B18B is just a better platform for future mods (compared with the D15 that is). and it's the cheapest of all DOHC swaps. you can throw a turbo on the D15 you have now and you'll be right there with a lightly modded B18B. but you'll also be getting close to reaching the reliabilty/performance threshold of the D15. after that you'll really have to strengthen the internals and drivetrain...
yes then be patient and turbo the b18b and you will really go fast. if you wanna go fast it costs money

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
a single with turbo :boo can get smack by a DOHC with cams and port and polish.

don't get into the hurry for getting a turbo, just do the DOHC swap the later drop a B16A head on it, then do TURBO :clap .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Either get a b16 or a b18 and then buy the turbo kit. I have a 1990 Civic and scouted some junkyards and found a used b16 in a crx for only $400. Im going to rebuild it then slap a turbo on.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
gsrboy171 said:

don't get into the hurry for getting a turbo, just do the DOHC swap the later drop a B16A head on it, then do TURBO :clap .
Be carefull what you say, tuned right a y8 or Z6 with the greddy kit alone will net just as much HP and much more torque than a B16 with cams and a P&P, a d16y8 running 7psi will make it into mid 14's easily, run 10psi with a good tune and your in 13's for less than $2500.

It's all about how far you want go. Some people are content with a 13 or 14 sec daily driven car.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Peteex said:
Be carefull what you say, tuned right a y8 or Z6 with the greddy kit alone will net just as much HP and much more torque than a B16 with cams and a P&P, a d16y8 running 7psi will make it into mid 14's easily, run 10psi with a good tune and your in 13's for less than $2500.

It's all about how far you want go. Some people are content with a 13 or 14 sec daily driven car.
i was saying that he can buy a B18B motor and then he can later drop a B16A head on it or Turbo it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
rjgspot said:
Either get a b16 or a b18 and then buy the turbo kit. I have a 1990 Civic and scouted some junkyards and found a used b16 in a crx for only $400. Im going to rebuild it then slap a turbo on.
u lucky bastard :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
gsrboy171 said:
i was saying that he can buy a B18B motor and then he can later drop a B16A head on it or Turbo it.
Ok, here's something that I don't understand.

VTEC: The N/A answer to turbo power, and it weighs less too.

Turbo: The way to make an engine that can't rev make enough torque that it doesn't need to rev high to make power.

VTEC + Turbo = pointless.

HP = (RPM*torque)/5,250

So, using that formula, I'll compare a VTEC engine to a turbo engine.

High-revving VTEC engine (The B18C is something like this.): 170HP = (7800*115)/5250

An LS turbo would look more like this: 249.9HP = (6800*193)/5250

These numbers aren't exact, nor do I claim that they are even close to what the real world numbers would be, but they give an example of how a short stroking or VTEC engine relies on higher RPMs and less torque where as a long stroking or turbo engine relies on high torque and not so many RPMs.

The only VTEC Turbo setup that I would want to use on a street/strip car would be a B18C with a large turbo that doesn't spool until until 4 or 5 grand so that it reaches peak boost just as VTEC engages. With the right high lift, short duration VTEC cam profile, that setup could be insanely powerful up high and still drivable down low before the turbo spools.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Like everyone else said,

Save your money and just get a bigger motor then tune it. Remember there is no replacement for displacement. That's the truth no matter how you refer to it be it domestic to import or import to bigger import. You will ALWAYS get more for your money when working with a bigger motor to start with. There are some cases when the CAN be an exception,but for the most part is pretty true. B18 or bigger bro !!

·
Registered
496 Posts
93civicdude said:
Ok, here's something that I don't understand.

VTEC: The N/A answer to turbo power, and it weighs less too.

Turbo: The way to make an engine that can't rev make enough torque that it doesn't need to rev high to make power.

VTEC + Turbo = pointless.

HP = (RPM*torque)/5,250

So, using that formula, I'll compare a VTEC engine to a turbo engine.

High-revving VTEC engine (The B18C is something like this.): 170HP = (7800*115)/5250

An LS turbo would look more like this: 249.9HP = (6800*193)/5250

These numbers aren't exact, nor do I claim that they are even close to what the real world numbers would be, but they give an example of how a short stroking or VTEC engine relies on higher RPMs and less torque where as a long stroking or turbo engine relies on high torque and not so many RPMs.

The only VTEC Turbo setup that I would want to use on a street/strip car would be a B18C with a large turbo that doesn't spool until until 4 or 5 grand so that it reaches peak boost just as VTEC engages. With the right high lift, short duration VTEC cam profile, that setup could be insanely powerful up high and still drivable down low before the turbo spools.
Everyone wants a motor that has strong power throughout the entire power band, from just above idle all the way to redline. So adding turbo to a vtec engine will give you the torque while VTEC will still give you that high end kick that it's known for.

LS: 140hp @ 6300rpm / 127 ft-lbs @ 5200
GSR: 170hp @ 7600 rpm / 128 ft-lbs @ 6200
LS Turbo: 231 hp = (6300 x 193) / 5250
GSR Turbo: 280 hp - (7600 x 194) / 5250

Once again this equation has faults and it's all theoretic, but still shows that boosting a B18c can be worth the time and money.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Once again this equation has faults and it's all theoretic, but still shows that boosting a B18c can be worth the time and money.

that is true.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anytime you plan on doing something not factory,your going to have problems. So that shouldn't be an issue or a "surprise" for that matter. However where there are faults usually there are easy answers. Like for example...go more turbo lag then you like......throw a light shot of nitrous ontop. Don't like what you are puttin down N/A...throw a turbo on the bitch. Don't like how you windin out early in tranny gears..get'em redone..see it's that easy ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
gsrboy171 said:

couldn't have said it better myself. it's useless to turbo a sohc, you won't make nearly as much power as you would with a turbo dohc even if your sohc is built. just my .02

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
projecthatch92 said:
couldn't have said it better myself. it's useless to turbo a sohc, you won't make nearly as much power as you would with a turbo dohc even if your sohc is built. just my .02
You should word it more appropiately before spouting stuff like this. I would agree it would not be worth it turboing a D15, but a D16y8 or D16z6 are good SOHC motors for boost depending on your power goals.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts