Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 EX back in 2003. I've been looking for a turbo kit ever since. Everyone I asked said I would have to fabricate one myself, it was considered at one point. All the turbo kits available for the 7th gen were only for the SI. I finally found a full turbo kit for the 03 EX D17a2. It's made by a company called Turbo Specialties. I've never heard of them. Was wondering if any one else has come across this kit or knows of a better one?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
never heard of them. can you post a link? as long as the turbo is made by a reputable company/brand and it comes with all the necessary shit aND fits, dont see a big deal. but ive never seen a kit for the d17 either. a link would help tons.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the first turbo kit I've come across for the 03 non SI's. I've heard rumors of Edlebrok making a kit for the 03 EX but I've never actually saw one with my own eye's. Any way check out the link and let me know your opinions on the kit.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
the t25 is a small ass turbo. nothin wrong with it, it spools quick, i just mean if youre lookin to keep upgrading, the limits of this turbo are low. as far as fuel delivery, dont use the 2 additional injectors. thats the trashiest ass ****** rigged setup ive ever heard. your stock injectors can handle the load until you are makin a good bit of boost. rising rate regulator=FMU. say for every pound of boost you create, your fmu will detect the boost and add perhaps 10 psi of fuel into your fuel rail to compensate the extra air so you dont run lean and blow the motor.

but if you create too much boost, and your fmu sends too much fuel to the injectors than they can handle, they will fail and engine damage occurs. you can always get bigger injectors.

its got all the right parts, it isnt a bad kit. but IMO you could build one yourself for much cheaper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if just buy these items individually; Down pipe and gasket.
Polished charge piping.
High-flow intercooler.
Stainless steel braided oil line and fittings.
Stainless steel braided water lines for turbo cooling.
Blow off valve.
And then a good turbo, it would be cheaper and better than the kit offered.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention my car is AT :noo will that cause issues with the ecu if I go turbo? or is there something I can do to the ecu like adding the Greddy e-manage? and I already know I will be wishing I had a MT once turbo goes in :bash or perhaps upgrade oil cooler :confused

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
mine is A/T also. and you will wish you had a MT. if i could go back and keep saving for a manual trans car before turbo, i would. it will not cause issues with the ECU. except that your MAP sensor will be detecting positive boost, which it was not designed to do, so your check engine light will illuminate. MAP bypass will solve.

hondata/aem/crome will not work for auto ECUs. ive already tried. hence my s300 is for sale.

as far as injectors, depends on how much power you wanna make. anywhere around 280cc would be plenty on stock block. most turbos arent watercooled. thats strange. never even seen a watercooled one. if you wanna go t25, get a manifold that fits a t25, check if its ac/ps compatible. intercooler, oil lines, bov, and the rest is piping,couplers, and vac lines. your fuel rail is fine until youre making huge numbers. you wouldnt NEED to replace your injectors unless youre running more fuel pressure than they can handle. i am on 7psi with a t3/t4 and using stock injectors, and a 12:1 fmu.

if this is your first turbo build and you arent really familiar with turbos, either:
buy a good kit
read a shitload about turbochargers and do your homework so you can make your own kit. either way you choose, i'd recommend doing a good bit of reading up.

an excellent site your DIY turbo is www.homemadeturbo.com
and if you find a way to tune a turbo/auto trans, let me know. i still havent found one.

Reactions: BaySide03

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more question..........turbo pistons? should they be installed before the turbo? or does it even matter? do they even make a diferance or does the manufacturer just put the word turbo in front of piston and mark the price up. :confused

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found another kit:
http://www.turbo-kits.com/01-05_civic_turbo_kits.html

Alot more expensive!!!!!!!!!! But comes with a garrett T3/T4 turbo, which I've heard are more desireable. But they want another $650 on top of the $3200 to upgrade to ball bearing.............. :mad
So I plan to just buy all parts individually and letting a pro fab em' up for me.
seems like the kit's for the D17 non SI's are starting to come out of the wood work (almost 4 yrs later). :bash

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
that kit comes with a LOT of top brand name shit. but it's missing fuel components. ive heard mixed reviews about greddy emanage. most fmus cost around 100, plus maybe 2 feet of fuel lines,misc clamps, barb fittings/vac line to make it work, it might come out to 120. fmu=easy install.

again, i can tell you def. need to do some reading up. turbo pistons are not required. and putting the term turbo infront of them does not make a difference. they will allow you to run more boost/make more power than the stock blow would allow. youre looking for low compression pistons, something close to 9.5:1 or less. and they should be forged to handle the extra power. if you replace the pistons, you might as well take the block to a machine shop and let them re-hone the cylinders before you put the pistons back.

what turbo you get depends on your goals and your budget. keep in mind- bigger turbos make more power, but take longer to spool. smaller turbos like t25 spool quick but make less power and are more limited in their power potential. set a goal before you just start buyin shit and building. cause a t25 wont do shit for a fully built motor ready to handle 40psi/+-700hp.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So in your opinion, would the kit from procivic.com work on my car with stock pistons, injectors, etc. until I'm ready (have enough cash) to upgrade pistons, block work, injectors? would I then be able to just pull out the turbo and throw a new one in that would bolt up to the manifold that comes with the already installed kit? Also I noticed it's recomended to install one step colder iridium plugs ($12), would those also be sufficient for a T3/T4?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
theres no need to buy 2 kits. or 2 turbos. just get one and itll be fine with fmu and stock block as long as you keep it on low boost. if you rebluild the block for turbo just crank up the boost and tune as long as you have proper fuel delivery. try 1 step colder plugs. and if youre goin over say 6-7psi on a t3, maybe 9-10 on a t25, ditch the fmu for professional tuning/ECU chipping and larger injectors.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
........I plan on just buying the kit from procivic.com and running that for a while and just keep everything stock (injectors, pistons, cams). It will keep me happy for about six months, by then I should have more cash for some serious upgrades. as long as my wife doesn't find out :ninja I don't think she knows what a turbo sounds like though............

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
IMO keep that car for dd and find an old piece of shit to rebuild. if youre going to build your auto trans for big boost, you need to find a way to tune, or swap to manual trans. did i mention i blew my engine this morning, and fortunately i have a daily driver 95 civic?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ksniperfox said:
IMO keep that car for dd and find an old piece of shit to rebuild. if youre going to build your auto trans for big boost, you need to find a way to tune, or swap to manual trans. did i mention i blew my engine this morning, and fortunately i have a daily driver 95 civic?

Thats what I want to do. but I live in an apartment and already have 2 cars (my wifes CRV). also don't have a garage where I could work on it. so until I buy a house, I have to mod out my DD or just wait a really long time.
sorry bout your engine!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.