Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm finally ready to start my next project. I just got the CRX smogged, so it's time to get to work. I picked up the new motor for it yesterday. The motor supposidly had ~90k on it from a 94 Integra, and it may have a worn bearing. But no matter, I'm rebuilding her anyways.

My goal is 300-350whp when I'm done. This is all going to be a learning experience for me. This is my first turbo build and my first engine rebuild from the bottom up, and I'm sure I might be getting myself a little in over my head, but that's the fun part.

My rebuild internals, which might change

Block
Eagle rods
CP Pistons
Stock crank, just remachined. I'm told the stock crank is for any street use

Head
Crower valve train
Crower Stage 2 turbo camshaft

I'll have a few questions for those experienced ones here. What size injectors should I be using if I'm looking to most likely use a small/medium sized turbo?

If anybody has any suggestions or comments please let me know.

And here are a few pictures for the hell of it. I'll post more as the project goes along

And here's what it's going into

·
Registered
5 Posts
im doin the same exact thing to my crx. i got a b18 outta 92 teggy. i brought the block to the machine shop and gettin it done right. i dont want to fuck it up myself. lol. but this will be my first turbo build also. good luck with the build man. and r u wiling to sell that stock motor?? cause im trying to find a motor i can put in the rex until i can get the b18 built.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like that you're posting pictures "just for the hell of it". Good luck, and take LOTS of pictures!
in other words your asking him to just to keep taking pics for the hell of it, lol, anyway crx90si i have to agree with him. i heard that the DSM injectors work well, tune with Chrome, and uhm you should mabye check out Turbo D16 • Index page i know its D16's but they have alot of good info about doing a turbo setup, and i'm sure you can carry it over to the B18. btw what engine you got in there now? D15b2? D16a6?

Also just wondering can the B18 handle that power with the stock block, like the cylinder walls, will you need to sleeve? Or are you not making enough power for that? Also you may want to look into getting a P&P for the head, i heard the the flow for the B18 really doesn't flow that well and the P&P will help the flow alot, considering the head makes the power.

ya i gota say i'm quite clueless about turbo setups.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that you're posting pictures "just for the hell of it". Good luck, and take LOTS of pictures!
I like pictures :clappy

im doin the same exact thing to my crx. i got a b18 outta 92 teggy. i brought the block to the machine shop and gettin it done right. i dont want to fuck it up myself. lol. but this will be my first turbo build also. good luck with the build man. and r u wiling to sell that stock motor?? cause im trying to find a motor i can put in the rex until i can get the b18 built.
I'm really not sure what I'm gonna be doing with the old motor, but it's staying in as my daily drivier until I'm ready to pull it out. Gas milage is awesome right now. I'll be sad to go from ~35mpg to ~20 :(

in other words your asking him to just to keep taking pics for the hell of it, lol, anyway crx90si i have to agree with him. i heard that the DSM injectors work well, tune with Chrome, and uhm you should mabye check out Turbo D16 • Index page i know its D16's but they have alot of good info about doing a turbo setup, and i'm sure you can carry it over to the B18. btw what engine you got in there now? D15b2? D16a6?
Well thanks, I'll take a look at that.

I actually have a OBD1 ~94 d15b7 in it right now. I don't know who did the swap, and I really don't know how they hooked everything up, but it runs fine on the OBD0 ECU. It even passed smog haha. It's sooo slow though.

Also just wondering can the B18 handle that power with the stock block, like the cylinder walls, will you need to sleeve? Or are you not making enough power for that? Also you may want to look into getting a P&P for the head, i heard the the flow for the B18 really doesn't flow that well and the P&P will help the flow alot, considering the head makes the power.

ya i gota say i'm quite clueless about turbo setups.
From my research, I've heard that an entirely stock block can do ~300hp with a turbo and a good tune. Sleeving it would be my prefered choice, but that gets kinda pricey, and I'm already going to be spending roughly 4-5,000 on the project already. For a reliable 300 daily horsepower, a non sleeved block will do fine. And for the head, I'm planning on a P&P already. With all this work and money, it would be rather dumb for me not to.

And by the way, I don't think I ever mentioned it. This is a 91 Si incase anybody wanted to know.

Thank you guys, I'll keep you all posted with any progress. Finals are this week, so I'm gonna try to stay away from the cars as much as I can. But I'll probably pull it apart a little more tomorrow :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so as planned I did a little more work on it tonight.

And earlier between classes I stopped by my machine shop and laid out the work I needed to have done, and they asked that I bring in the crank for them to measure to make sure it's within spec, so I set out to remove the crank.

More pictures!

Sorry that some of them are a little larger, I forgot to resize them while uploading.

Picked up some goodies

Pulled the piston with the dead bearing

The dead bearing

All pistons out

I'm trying to organize my tools..

Crank out!

The #2 rod with busted bearing

I'm working in my parents garage, so I'm trying to stay organized

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey just got my ls motor in and up an running good im 91 crx

however tore it all down to bare block and built it up whlie i was running my d16 in the mean time .

had the assembly steamed , i just rebuilt my bottom end used pr3 pistons decked the head and block used aftermarket manifolds bigger t-body and polished the head ,and bc cams. for all motor setup.put all back tighten to factory specs ,adjusted valve lash and did a helluva lot than better than the d that was in it had no problems so far and kept it all obd0 used the d16 wiring harness .for an all motor setup

however a turbo ls setup was something i was plans for later on ,so i go against the big boys at the track meets.

btw im a NC man myself

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Looks like you'll be able to polish down the worn spots from that bad bearing. do you happen to have a larger version of this image:
that I can use for my next article? PM or email me if so, I'd really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts