Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I understand it or always thought it to be that way, a turbo will not spin at idle under vacuum, but it will under load because more exhaust is coming out but at idle not enough exhaust is produced to force the turbine to spin... is this correct? or does it depend on the turbo? the turbo in question is a hybrid and factory rebuilt garrett T3 turbine with a T25 compressor.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i think it depends on the turbo.
Sometimes my T3/04e used to and sometimes it didnt.
My T67 spun like a muthf'er at idle and spun for like another 2 mins after i shut the car offf

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there a possibility that there may be something wrong with it? or is it normal? Looked like brand new before being installed and there was no shaft play at all :confused

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i also think it depends on the turbo.
have you tried spinning it by hand? what happend?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
i also think it depends on the turbo.
have you tried spinning it by hand? what happend?
Yes I did that before it went in, no shaft play...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
rev it up and then let it idle. I bet it will spin at idle then.
Like I said before some spin some dont. It depends on the turbo.
If it makes power, who the hell cares if it spins at idle?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
itr206 said:
rev it up and then let it idle. I bet it will spin at idle then.
Like I said before some spin some dont. It depends on the turbo.
If it makes power, who the hell cares if it spins at idle?
Well see here's the thing, I pieced the turbo parts myself but I decided to get it done professionally by a shop, and yesterday they told me that my car is now running but that the turbo doesn't spin at idle and they wanted to make sure it's working correctly but when they rev it up a little it would spin but when they let off it stops spinning :confused
I agree with you, who cares as long as it works. But I just wanted to make sure that it could be normal for it to do that, I'll either be driving it or know something by today so I'll update later...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yea i wouldnt worry about it until you actually see and feel a problem.

If they dont know all turbos dont spin at idle, they havent dealt with enuff turbs.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
sometimes it takes a while for them to brake in enuff to have play so they can spin that long. if its new, otherwise I believe there is something wrong. I have never installed a turbo that didn't spin at idle. Never. they do spin at different speed after a while, but never stop. :number1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts