Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is at the shop getting new valves, valve springs, intake maifold. Anyways when they took off the turbo they said it had shaft play :( They said it would be 600 to rubuild my greddy 18g turbo. I was wondering if this is a good price, and if i should do that or go with a new turbo and ex. manifold al together? I dont have the 600 right now, and i just got laid off so i wont have any income for a little while, so they are taking the turbo off and im gonna be running all motor for a little while. What would you guys do in my situation :confused

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
What are they going to do? A normal rebuild? Or replace the center section?

If it's just a normal rebuild that's a horrible price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they said they are gonna replace the insides (probably the shaft since ther is shaft play) but im not 100% sure what theyre replace

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
a mitsubishi 18g is about $640 brand new.
i dont know how those people want to charge you $600 for a rebuild.
a basic rebuild should not cost over $300

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I think a basic rebuild usually corrects shaft play in most cases...I've seen basic rebuilds and rebalancing go for as low as 180.

I would ask them what exactly they were doing and ask for a price breakdown

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
gurusan said:
I think a basic rebuild usually corrects shaft play in most cases...I've seen basic rebuilds and rebalancing go for as low as 180.

I would ask them what exactly they were doing and ask for a price breakdown
Seems like theyre trying to put u together. I would buy a new one at that price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can some one please tell where i can buy a greddy 18g turbo for 640 cause i always thought that they cost more, or if there are any other turbos that will fit the greddy manifold

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
dc2b18cT420 said:
can some one please tell where i can buy a greddy 18g turbo for 640 cause i always thought that they cost more, or if there are any other turbos that will fit the greddy manifold
forcedperformance.com sells the mitshubishi 18g for $639, however i dont know if the mitsubishi 18g and the greddy 18g are the same thing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i would leave it alone unless you're having problems. it shouldn't cost more than 300 to rebuild yours but like said above you can get another for around 600. seems like they're jacking you around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts