Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I've got a Hondata 3b but its not equipped with Datalogging. So my buddy took his Hondata 4b box and we connected it to my ecu so he could datalog with his laptop in my car. We were going to check a variety of things including the fuel mixture.

Before we connected his 4b I had no codes and my VTEC was engaging. We started my car with his 4b connected and after about 3 seconds Code 21 came up. That's "VTEC Spool". I talked to a Honda Mechanic and he seems to think its an electrical short or something. Cause we try and reset the code and it won't reset. We connected my 3b to my ecu again and its still there. We took care of our the fuel problem. The car is running great!...except that VTEC is not engaging! I've taken the fuse out of the box from under the hood and it won't reset. I've disconnected the neg. terminal of the battery and it still won't reset. All this is w/o starting the car up. I've opened the ecu and there's no short burn marks on the ecu or anything that is capable of shorting it inside. With his datalogger on his laptop we know that pressure is there, but when it comes time for VTEC to hit its not releasing.

Do you think this is a short? Can a wire from the wire harness touch metal that might make it throw the code?

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found the problem. This wire on the wire harness somehow got severed. I reconnected the problem and bam! I have VTEC again...with 7psi of boost! Its sweet!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.