Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I have a boosted d15b7, peak boost like 12.5lbs. it starts boost at 4000rpm, peak of powerband is at 5800. Well i know i have a stock clutch. So now when i get on it when i get near the peak of the powerband the engine just revs high as if i pushed the clutch in......... thats what it feels like anyways. I have thought it was the clutch the whole time but someone told me it could be the synchros. ....... i go into all gears fine, i dont even have to press the clutch to put it in gear when its not running. But one thing is i dont really smell clutch when it does this, i just wanted to see if someone knows or has had this happen before i do go ahead and buy a clutch/flywheel, cuz if its the synchros im gonna just get an SI tranny. Also it doesnt ALWAYS do this, well it does now pretty much, but everynow and then it wont do this.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why did you tell me to watch the video "last day" or whatever. His isnt doing what mine does. One i couldnt hear his engine or anything, and two mine runs 14.4 at the track but its cuz when i hit 5000rpm my clutch slips i guess. You said you had the same problem but with a 6pad race disc, and you have a jdm model, and ran a 16.67 on pass time? i dont think the problem you had would be the same as me because you arent running a D motor and trans. but your ride is sweet, and i liked that vid of dude at the track. I like the guage faces he had, iwas debating getting those, now i know i am getting them. And thanks for the Help Fellas, im gonna go ahead and go with you say its the clutch and replace that baby then hit the drag strip and see what i run...................................... of course with a like stage 3 or 4 clutch, tax season is great when you have kids and a wife.!

· Registered
2,231 Posts
THat video was me in my sohc turbo del sol. It had a new clutch but something was slippin still. It was at 10psi on drag tires mounted on steelies. No idea if it was the drag wheels slipping or the new 6-puck clutch.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, hmmmmm. I hope its not the freakin trans, ... did you ever figure out what it was, cuz mine runs like the exact same times as yours, if it dont slip really bad ill run like 14,s when it slipps i run 15.5s. I would think it would have to be the clutch or something with the halfshafts right(axels)(CVs) right? but it if were the CVs it should pop or somethin when i turn, which it doesnt.

· Registered
811 Posts
oh, hmmmmm. I hope its not the freakin trans, ... did you ever figure out what it was, cuz mine runs like the exact same times as yours, if it dont slip really bad ill run like 14,s when it slipps i run 15.5s. I would think it would have to be the clutch or something with the halfshafts right(axels)(CVs) right? but it if were the CVs it should pop or somethin when i turn, which it doesnt.
Im guessing you didnt do any of the work to your car yourself or you would have never needed to ask what the problem was in the first place. If you can install a turbo setup surely you can replace your clutch.
Not trying to sound rude, I was just wondering.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no, it was already turbo'd when i bought it, other wise i would have a turbo b18 not a turbo d15b7 lol. And i got stuff worked on after i bought it. ............. i could do everything myself besides tap the oil line for the turbo though, and mess with the computer, one cuz i dont have anything for tools but a 110pc socket set that probley only has 96 pcs left, and some reardrum brake tools, 2 cuz im not fucking with the block especially if you have to tap in for the turbo oil line. it was already turboed so i wouldnt know what you have to do i never researched it. im sure i could figure out how to put a clutch in it would be a bitch since thats one thing i havent done before but i would eventually get it im sure, i have taken a trans off and put one on a chevy. three, i dont have a garage, or a lift, and a jack wont fit under my car, and neither will i, and neither will you fit under a del sol with coilovers set 3inches lower than stock i bet. and last thing this is my first turbo car,this motor came stock with 102hp probley 90whp. lol now its 210whp. and 185ftlbs, i dunno what it could be, i thought thats what this forum is for. i figure clutch. but could also be like the axles or something or the trans itself. im not a mechanic, just an enthusiast. i know how a car works a lot more than your avg person. but there are things i dont know because i havent had the experiance of a turbo car pushing over double the power it was made for. i dont work on cars everyday, so i dont know. Guess i should just take it to the tuner that works on it for me. sorry didnt meant to piss you off by askin for an opinion dude.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
I didnt realize it was a d15b7. Thats what I have in my hatch. Is there any internal work done or just a bolt on turbo kit? If your in the 14s Id rater do that to my car then swap it out.
the 1.5 sohc's are generally good for boost. I think any 16 valve should handle boost well. I wouldnt recommend it on a 12 valve motor. (I think thats the d15b8 but im not sure and dont wanna check...

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah its a bolt on turbo kit with chrom ecu and i bought msd ignition, intake manifold a fan controler, and a 3 bar map sens. adjustable fuel presure reg.its turned up to 12.5 lbs. no internal work that i know of, dude that i bought the car from claimed the motor was built but i doubt it. when i get income taxes im gonna build it though there is a place in the city of montgomery that said they can do it for about 2 grand. thats if i bring them the engine only and it includes machine work valvetrain forged rods/pistons, arp studs, acl bearings and all gaskets. thats better than paying 1500 for a b18 and then a new turbo mani, the install of the swap, and hondata for the b18. ill come out cheaper on building the d15b7. and i should be able to run 300whp. with the clutch slipping and the wastgate flange cracked on the mani i ran 14.5 i fixed the turbo mani, but it makes the clutch slip when i get on it hard. i figure with the build and a good clutch/flywheel/lsd i should run 12s, i hope to anyways. that 14.5 is on 17s on street tires also.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and yeah i think its d15b8 or b2 that its 12 valve, mine is 16valve, just non vtec. ive heard people say a d15b7 is almost as good as a d16 just the head isnt. but if you get it ported and shit and good valvetrain im sure its good too. im supose to get like 12gs back on taxs so i may get the head work too while im at it. i lost my job at the cable contractors, and now i work at wal mart and struggle to pay the bills, but i am supose to get that back on taxes, and my wife just got a job as asst. manager at this high dollar resturant that pays salary 1000 a week which is what i made with cable. so now i am resuming the work on the car. i havent been able to buy anything for it for like 4 months, its good to be back financially stable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.