Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking as usual. I got a question pertaining to something a buddy of mine has told me. Hes from up North and built a Mustang that was susposedly very fast and knew alot of guys that built Hondas. Hes not the type of guy that seems to bullshit his way through life,etc. Anyways onto the purpose of this post.

We were talking about Turbo Hondas a little while back and he told me I should really boost my LS engine. Its something I have highly considered and actually the whole reason I bought the engine and swapped it in becasue I planned to boost it. Then I got very short on cash,etc and started thinking about throwing the Nitrous bottle on on it. Then I thought about boost again. So until I make up my mind and save some dough I ain't doin shit anyways. But he was talking about Turbos and Tuning and I told him I was a little confused about the whole tuning thing.

This is the part I don't know if hes right so I am asking you guys. He said if I Boosted my LS with something like a Garrett GT28RS,T3/T04E @ 8-9PSI I might would have to get sligtly larger Injectors or might could use stock Injectors and probably wouldn't even need to tune.

I said "well wouldn't it fail due to improper Air/Fuel Ratios" he said "Nah,at that boost pressure you will be fine and tuning would just get you max HP out of the setup. He said so basically if you got the money adn pieced the kit together and didn't have the money for Neptune,Hondata,etc you could run it as a DD until you had the money to get it tuned. But the way he talked you could run it for about ever with no tune with that setup and it wouldn't blow.

Any truth to that?

EDIT:He also said he used to have H22 Swapped EG with a Turbo or Supercharger..can't remember which.

I also have been visiting the Tuning forum so I have learned alot more about tuning since me and him had that conversation..thats why I ended up asking this question. **Also I might should have put this in the Tuning Forum..if so my bad guys.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Hey guys..haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking as usual. I got a question pertaining to something a buddy of mine has told me. Hes from up North and built a Mustang that was susposedly very fast and knew alot of guys that built Hondas. Hes not the type of guy that seems to bullshit his way through life,etc. Anyways onto the purpose of this post.

We were talking about Turbo Hondas a little while back and he told me I should really boost my LS engine. Its something I have highly considered and actually the whole reason I bought the engine and swapped it in becasue I planned to boost it. Then I got very short on cash,etc and started thinking about throwing the Nitrous bottle on on it. Then I thought about boost again. So until I make up my mind and save some dough I ain't doin shit anyways. But he was talking about Turbos and Tuning and I told him I was a little confused about the whole tuning thing.

This is the part I don't know if hes right so I am asking you guys. He said if I Boosted my LS with something like a Garrett GT28RS,T3/T04E @ 8-9PSI I might would have to get sligtly larger Injectors or might could use stock Injectors and probably wouldn't even need to tune.

I said "well wouldn't it fail due to improper Air/Fuel Ratios" he said "Nah,at that boost pressure you will be fine and tuning would just get you max HP out of the setup. He said so basically if you got the money adn pieced the kit together and didn't have the money for Neptune,Hondata,etc you could run it as a DD until you had the money to get it tuned. But the way he talked you could run it for about ever with no tune with that setup and it wouldn't blow.

Any truth to that?
your friend is a dumbass with hondas then. you do not EVER boost a non-turbo car and don't tune. it'll do more than get you "max" power. you don't slap shit on and pray it works. tuning is more than max hp, you tune injector pulse width, timing/fuel maps, afr's etc. i hate it when people "tune" by simply turning up the fuel pressure.

and yes your motor is perfect for boosting. keep in mind the gt28rs (disco potatoe) is a 1300 dollar turbo. if you want a big turbo on budget, get a t3/t4 50 trim with stage 3 wheel. they max around 420whp. but if your looking for a quick street car get a gt28 or gt28r, they're literally half the price of a disco potatoe.

and btw, you won't run a stock ecu with a turbo setup as a daily driver. tell your friend to stick to domestics. if you can't afford to get a tune then you don't boost the car. you do it right the first way or not at all.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man for clearing that up. My plan is to save money and piece together a kit and even though I might have the kit together don't install it until I have a tuning device. Then what I would do is get it on a rollback and dropped off at the tuner instead of driving there. I'm thinking of going with Hondata S200.

Its going to be awhile before anything starts coming together..I am trying to get out of some debt first instead of just throwing shit on the credit card and being buried again. Debt sucks. Right now when I want fast my Yamaha R6 will have to do:D

· Registered
512 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't get s200 anymore from hondata. you have to buy them used as there not made anymore.

s100 or s300 if you want to tune yourself

Hondata is a great option but if "bang for your buck" is what your after, I suggest you look into Crome and Uberdata.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't get s200 anymore from hondata. you have to buy them used as there not made anymore.

s100 or s300 if you want to tune yourself

Hondata is a great option but if "bang for your buck" is what your after, I suggest you look into Crome and Uberdata.
listen to this guy

· Registered
242 Posts
what about (mail order tunes) ive heard good things about them....where you ship your ecu and tell them your setup and they ship your ecu back chipped for a nice street tune on your setup

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
what about (mail order tunes) ive heard good things about them....where you ship your ecu and tell them your setup and they ship your ecu back chipped for a nice street tune on your setup
overpriced garbage.....every motor is different, so shipping out universal tunes based on a half-assed parts list you send to them is asking for trouble. and what happens if you forget to list a part? besides that shit is like 400-500 bucks. all it is a daughterboarded ecu and unisersal map they send out. no more than 110 dollars in actual hardware.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the insight. I still have alot to learn about tuning but I keep reading and picking up stuff here and there so I just gotta keep that up.

What sucks is I don't have a "Project Car" like I would like..I have one car..which is my DD. I have the Sport Bike to but on bad weather days I don't ride to work,etc. So I can't have my Civic tore down but more than a few hours.

Thought about trying to find another civic..preferably a hatch for lower weight and then I could have that car in my garage. Alot of people fab up there on charge lines and weld it together but once again I can't do that casue I gotta have my car as a DD plus I can't weld and don't have quick access to someone that does.

Another thing that has floated around in my mind is Building and Boosting my D16Z6 which I still have with all the parts that I pulled out of my EG when I swapped in the B18B1. But theres really no reason to do that as I am not looking for 500+WHP out of a setup right now. Looking to be in the 230-250WHP range which it appears the LS can pretty much handle stock. 230-250 should be LOADS of fun on the street. I wish I had a money tree:D

I'm going to go do some reading on Chrome and Uberdata.

See I get aggravated and fustrated when I think about what I am going to do as far as Boost..Sure..you can go buy a Greddy kit that comes with about everything..bolt everything on and get it tuned..but you have $3500 tied up in the turbo kit. Or you can piece together your own kit and save loads of cash but it seems you have to fabricate things such as downpipe,Charge piping,etc which again poses the problems that I don't have quick access to a welder and my EG is my DD.

I'll get this shit figured out one day.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Stick with the SOHC boosted. Look around and youll find some pretty nasty single cams. They handle a little more than 200hp on a stock block but remember thats in a car that weighs what, 21 or 2200 pounds? Shoot you could get grand vitara rods and drop em in.

I like the idea of piecing kit together. Many times you can come out with a setup cheaper than the kit. Look for a turbo manifold, the rods i mentioned, y8 Intake manifold, DSM 450cc inj, a turbo back exhuast, and a chip and tuned ECU, your choice turbo, and all the misc parts (piping, line etc.) youd be spending being less than 4g big name turbo/piping kit, while still having a reliable DD. I am pretty sure these kits dont come with sockets and tuning porgrams so. but if you can get ahold of a kit for a good deal, good ahead and get it.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
a pieced kit will always be better for one simple fact......it's based around your needs.

tell me this. if you have a d16. do you need a 3000 dollar greddy kit with a laggy turbo too big for your needs. or an exhaust manifold that only gives you optimal peak numbers and not the midrange you desire, etc.

your build will be sentered around the power, response, and reliablity that you choose. trust me. a b16 doesn't need a t3/t4 60 trim generic turbo kit to make 250whp and not spool till 5k rpms just because it's a mass produced kit

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
i'd say closer to 1500 to do it remotely right. you could use a mitus 14b turbo to cut costs and a used evo intercooler. if you do alot of the work you're self it's fine. hardest part is tapping the oil return line. everything else is bolton

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you don't have to buy another car to turbo especially since it seams like your looking for a basic setup 250 WHP.

There's tons of used parts out there. You can put together a setup for around $1k easily with used parts. excluding injectors/ecu
Mac,If I could get something together for around $1k excluding ECU,Injectors then I could get this Boost plan underway ALOT quicker than what I am thinking as of now.

Looks like for Do it yourself kits alot of people go with DSM parts. I have read quite a bit on Do it yourself kits but don't know exactly what would be best for my LS engine to get me 230-250WHP. Mac could you maybe help me put together a list of things to look for so I can start checking Junk yards,etc when I have extra cash?

I will give a list of my mods thus far just so you guys have an idea of whats on the engine.

-P75 ECU
-8lb Flywheel
-Stage 2 Clutch
-Apexi N1 2.25(I think)Cat back
-Cheap ass EGAY JVT Racing 4-2-1 Header
-Gay Short Ram Intake
-Skunk2 Shift Knob and Short throw Shifter
-GSR Tranny

Thats about it other than some suspension shit I did years back.

I bought the car when I was 18..am 23 now.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WVU...sorry man I was typing my above response I guess as you were hitting send. Even if I can get most everything for 1500 thats still ALOT better than what I was looking at. And when it comes down to it I really don't want to build the Z6 and put it back in. I like the LS engine. Exspecially down low..nice having an engine that is pulling pretty decent before 2,000RPMs..nice DD for Traffic.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
i/h/e are gonna have to be trashed.

you can get a gt28 or 14b turbo dirt ass cheap

walbro fuel pump 99 dollars

used intercooler 150-200 bucks

injectors, dsm: 100 bucks

ebay exhaust 180 shipped full stainless steel and 3 inches

turbo manifold 150 bucks

the list goes on

you'll and lsd better tires and decent brake pads

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i/h/e are gonna have to be trashed.

you can get a gt28 or 14b turbo dirt ass cheap

walbro fuel pump 99 dollars

used intercooler 150-200 bucks

injectors, dsm: 100 bucks

ebay exhaust 180 shipped full stainless steel and 3 inches

turbo manifold 150 bucks

the list goes on

you'll and lsd better tires and decent brake pads
Thanks man,Now I have some parts to start researching. I downloaded Crome. Looks like its just $149 to get the commercial license to open the tuning features. Is Crome something you tune yourself or do certain shops do it? The closest shop to me has no listing for it. I know thats probably a dumbass question.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.