Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering whats the differences, besides the obvious. i have only seen the belt driven style of superchargers they put on big ass V8 muscle cars. im looking to add power to my cr-v, its has the b20z i believe and instead of dropping money on lots of other, little mods, i just want to save and get a decent system, i just wondered what was best. 2 years of motor sports school (body repair, welding, paint, general suspension/drive train work) and we only did NA vehicles.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
just wondering whats the differences, besides the obvious. i have only seen the belt driven style of superchargers they put on big ass V8 muscle cars. im looking to add power to my cr-v, its has the b20z i believe and instead of dropping money on lots of other, little mods, i just want to save and get a decent system, i just wondered what was best. 2 years of motor sports school (body repair, welding, paint, general suspension/drive train work) and we only did NA vehicles.
well to make serious power with a supercharger, you got to have serious power to begin with. thats why you see v8's run them so much. turbos can be had for cheaper and gain more power than superchargers. to me, superchargers are less maintenance and more for daily driving of the engine came n/a from factory, but some will argue that. either way you got to think about how much power you want and how much money you want to spend.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the advice, i was browsing the turbo and SC threads. they were help. more or less i just want to know whats better and more easy to get my hands on for my engine, because not much is available. i have some power now, getting closer and closer to 200hp every day but still its a ways away. i have heard from various people that the crv comes with one of the most powerful four bangers honda puts, or did put, in their stock off the line vehicles. but i also want to do a v-tec conversion, boost permitting

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
thanks for all the advice, i was browsing the turbo and SC threads. they were help. more or less i just want to know whats better and more easy to get my hands on for my engine, because not much is available. i have some power now, getting closer and closer to 200hp every day but still its a ways away. i have heard from various people that the crv comes with one of the most powerful four bangers honda puts, or did put, in their stock off the line vehicles. but i also want to do a v-tec conversion, boost permitting
1. no it doesn't. b18c1, b18c5, h22a, h23, h23vtec, are all more powerfuel.
b18b/b16/b20 are some of the weakest powerwise. now the b20 and b18 can make decent tq with supporting mods

2. why would you want a vtec conversion? your cars gas mileage is plenty fine, the effort for a vtec conversion will yield no noticeable gains in performance

3. if you're boosting vtec is just one more complication to the build/tune process. vtec is meant for n/a motor

4. t/c or s/c complication varies. turbo builds are easier to make custom setups and will be cheaper if you piece it together. s/c are a little less complicated and the deciding factor is usually how well it will bolt up to your Intake manifold and don't yield the peak hp gains turbos do. how much power are you looking to get and is your car a manual or auto

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
B20B / B20Z
1999 - 2001 specs
NON-VTEC
Found in: USDM CRV as a B20Z, JDM Honda CR-V and Honda Orthia as a B20B
Displacement: 1,973 cc (120.4 cu in)
Power: 146 hp (109 kW)) @ 5400 rpm
Torque: 133 ft·lbf (180 N·m) @ 4300 rpm
Rod length: 137 mm (5.394 in)
Compression: 9.6:1
Bore: 84 mm (3.3 in)
Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)
Redline: 6300 rpm

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
there's no worthy supercharger applications for b-series engines in my opinion especially for the non vtec head
what does a vtec head matter. the Intake manifold is the deciding factor and throttle cable relocation. and you can always run a smaller pulley and boltons. it's a b-series motor none the less. and i doubt he is gonna run 250-300whp on a stock crv's awd components. a basic supercharger install with boltons would yield 70-100whp gain in performance. perfect for a crv

· Registered
512 Posts
what does a vtec head matter. the Intake manifold is the deciding factor and throttle cable relocation. and you can always run a smaller pulley and boltons. it's a b-series motor none the less. and i doubt he is gonna run 250-300whp on a stock crv's awd components. a basic supercharger install with boltons would yield 70-100whp gain in performance. perfect for a crv

you can't overspin these blower because they're nearly out of thier efficiency range at stock boost. No intercooler + low efficency = deadly

· Registered
512 Posts
I wouldn't mind a routine B18B JRSC install with a new Uberdata tune, and enjoy a very low maintenance 215whp.
I never saw a 215whp jrsc LS. Maybe with the lht package/cam/headers but then you're talking about serious$$$$

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts

vtec heads flow better than non vtec heads and the air quality is better..I'm nto saying vtec heads are magical..but they are better than non-vtec heads...if it didnt work all these drag cars out there would be using straight ls motors...but they arnt..they are using lsvtec and crvvtec because they make more power

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
m45 = jrsc blower for non vtec
m60 = jrsc blower for vtec

not interchangeable

The M45 is way too small that's why the tq drops off so fast at higher rpm and only puts out about 140-150 whp on an LS.
how are they not interchangeable? swap intake manifolds. and fab a little. either way it works. vtec has nothing to do with it. just make sure the ecu is tuned properly

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
vtec heads flow better than non vtec heads and the air quality is better..I'm nto saying vtec heads are magical..but they are better than non-vtec heads...if it didnt work all these drag cars out there would be using straight ls motors...but they arnt..they are using lsvtec and crvvtec because they make more power
i know they flow more cfm but we we're talking about a crv that won't make much power. if this were a civic go for it but it's a crv. and he wants to boost and it would be worthless to do the swap if he isn't going for hundreds more hp

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.