Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked before but please indulge my ignorance.
What is the difference between Turbo and Supercharger, and which one is better for your engine, I have a 5g Prelude, I keep on hearing different things, I hear Turbo gives more power but it’s not good on the engine, please let me know

Thanks

· Registered
145 Posts
Auz said:
I know this has been asked before but please indulge my ignorance.
What is the difference between Turbo and Supercharger, and which one is better for your engine, I have a 5g Prelude, I keep on hearing different things, I hear Turbo gives more power but it’s not good on the engine, please let me know

Thanks
Differences- Turbo- uses exhaust gases to spin an impailer to pull air into the combustion chamber at a higher speed and forces more air into the chamber, however since more exhaust is needed to pull in more air and this takes time for the engine to produce more exhaust gas; this process creates a delay called "turbo lag" gives the most gain, most strain on engine, effects mainly the top end on the rpm range-
Superchargers- uses drive belts off the engine to pull air into the combustion chamber therefor it has much faster throtle responce then does the turbo, gives less gains, less strain on engine, effects whole rpm range-

On your engine both are ok however since you do have vtec and your pistons already have a high compression ratio you don't want to run very high boost on either application or you may detinate your engine (check my sig for a website I mod then go to the engine differences that I have listed in the lude forum this will explain) :eek: My suggestion is for the H22 go with the SC b/c it gives you gains through the whole range and since you need the more power in low rpms anyway this I feel is most affective for you. Leave the turbo for us H23's :D But H22 with turbo run just fine. Remember there is alot more to it then just slapping a turbo or sc on your car you have to make sure you have made adjustments in many different areas such as fuel management in order to do this.

Peace

:cool:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Turbo vs. Supercharger

Thanks whitesiprelude, now i know what i need, but your webpage address did not show, ....try posting it on here, but put spaces cuz if not it might show as www.****.com

Thanks

· Registered
145 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Turbo vs. Supercharger

Auz said:
Thanks whitesiprelude, now i know what i need, but your webpage address did not show, ....try posting it on here, but put spaces cuz if not it might show as www.****.com

Thanks
The web page is www.ecstreetracing.com and it's under the prelude forum. Glad I could help.

Peace

:cool:

· Registered
1,336 Posts
less maintence :) sorry i cant help :) yeah i think if youre a amateur a supercharger would be the better choice :) alot less maintenance :)

· Registered
2,092 Posts
from an engineer's view, the turbo is much better because it makes power from exhaust gases, which would normally be wasted. a turbo recycles the car's trash and makes power out of it...turbos are more efficient but they are also a lot of work to maintain and tune. and because they must wait until the exhaust gasses spin the turbine, the power does not kick in until about 3000 rpm, depending on how large the turbo is.

a supercharger is belt driven, which means it is driven by the engine, much like a power steering belt or something. that means it takes power from the engine to make more power. superchargers are pretty easy to bolt on and forget about, since they dont run so hot. also, they give linear power, which means you have supercharger boost from idle to redline.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, appreciate the help……glad to know there is a place were people will help without trying to sell you something :D

· Registered
267 Posts
I think this should be a sticky, or altleast a FAQ like the last version had. Also a ? on the turbo vs. SC which one would be able to pass emmissions, I hear that turbos are almost impossible to pass, but haven't heard much on the scuperchargers passing.

· Registered
46 Posts
I just read that Greddy's kit for our 5g's is CARB certified on this board, im pretty sure that JRSC is, but as far as FMAX and DRAG i dont think that they are, they tend to make more power than the Greddy kit, but at the expense of giving people in freakin Bangladesh emphysema....

· Registered
12,727 Posts
whatever you do...don't expect your engine to last as long as a N/A built one. your are jamming air into a car not meant for it creating tons of heat!

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lOOkatme said:
whatever you do...don't expect your engine to last as long as a N/A built one. your are jamming air into a car not meant for it creating tons of heat!
That's what i was talking about....now would this happend with Turbo and SC ......if yes, is there a way to to it so the engine is safe?

· Registered
14 Posts
there are ways to combat this intense heat problem..
-- Upgrade the radiator, Fluidyne
-- FAL fan upgrade
-- run Water Wetter in your coolant
-- get a vented carbon fiber hood, if you don't like the look of carbon, get it painted.

also, no one really touched on the all important issue of building an open deck motor to withstand more boost. i mean having a turbo is cool and all, but i know if i spent 4 grand, i wanna run more than 6-7 psi safely. if i was going to build up my prelude i would do the following to my block/engine:

-- Golden Eagle Godzilla sleeved block
-- JE/Endyn Pistons or your choice
-- Rods, again your choice but i like Probe Industries, or Crower
-- ARP bolts through out
-- fuel system done properly ie, rail, fpr, gauges for monitoring injectors upgraded, i would use RC Engineering personally.
-- Intercooler, pry a spearco but i am sure other brands are good, such as XS, etc.
-- BOV, i love the sound of a HKS SuperSequential BOV. so thats what i would run, altho i would also take a look at the RFL, i believe XS makes that bov.
-- axles, if your gonna make some real power might be breakin some.
-- Programmable Computer! this to me, makes or breaks a car. AEM has come out with a new computer that is quite the little box. some cars have actually gained power, just stock by swapping the computer, which would make sense. also, the computer can allow you to get rid of all your other controllers, fuel, boost, etc etc etc.. so in a way your spending alot, but you are also saving alot of money.

i am sure i am forgetting something, if i did. let me know! a buddy of mine is doing something similiar to this, so we'll see how it turns out.

· Registered
199 Posts
Not to be Devil's advocate or anything but if you are paying 4 grand for a turbo then they usually come with a lot of the stuff listed, such as F-Max. The F-Max turbo kit ($3799) comes with a spearco intecooler, HKS competetion BOV, MSD BTM, MF2 secondary fuel computer (capable of handling up to 15psi), and dual lucas 440cc injectors.
The kit runs 8 psi from F-Max and is said to be a very reliable and trouble free system.
Also there is a big difference from spending just $4000 on a turbo kit than spending the $4000 for the kit plus like an extra like $6000 in parts you listed not including labor. (don't get technical on the $6000, it was just a quick guess)

Where did you get your info on the AEM EMS. I am trying to get one and have done a good bit of research. I just haven't found any reviews or tests done with it.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
actually, unless you have a laptop in your car , you would still want a boost controller with the aem ems :) but it is a very good unit, i heard its much easier to use then a motec m8 :) almost like a accel 7.0 with even more function and a lil faster :)

· Registered
14 Posts
why not just set the boost and forget it.... i guess i don't own a turbo car, so i wouldn't know how often you would change it. but i think i'd set it where the car makes the most power, with a nice a/f ratio to keep everything happy.
and about the kits..

i forgot to mention it, but i'd rather build the kit myself.. i'll respond later.

· Registered
199 Posts
The only problem with just setting the boost is that an engine can only hold so much boost. Some people leave it at a safe boost for everyday driving and just turn it up for the track. Running a high boost may be fine for the track or everyonce in a while but you wouldn't want to drive around with that same amount of boost. Think of it like nitrous. Nitrous can be safe to use and your engine can still last a long time on it, but if you sprayed it every time you drove then your engine probably isn't gonna last very long. I know it is a bad analogy but I couldn't think of any other one.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.