Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guyz, Was curious if any of you have any experience w/ a low boost (5-8psi) running w/ an automatic tranny. I know that to get the most out of it, it is more recommendable to run with a manuel as to decrease the spool-up time. Reason that I'm asking is because I am wanting to turn my 04 D17A1 into a true sleeper. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

peace out!
MiG

·
Registered
320 Posts
i just converted my auto to 5spd. I was running a sc61 turbo on my 98 ls teg. And it pulled real hard at 7psi and now even better with a 5spd. The auto tranny will last as long as you dont beat on it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I had my auto tranny with the old turbo setup (T3) for six months on 6-10psi with a tranny cooler and it still took a dump. Then again.....my auto wasnt in the best shape b4 i went turbo anyway and i jus beat the shit out of it so i had an excuse to do the swap and im so glad i did!
But if u wanna run with the auto....tranny cooler is a must and no neutral drops of course!

·
Registered
320 Posts
i'm so glad i got my 5spd what a difference all 5 gears pull like crazy. The auto tranny only had 2 gears that pulled good thats it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
jdmhonda98 said:
i'm so glad i got my 5spd what a difference all 5 gears pull like crazy. The auto tranny only had 2 gears that pulled good thats it.
Yup....same here 1st ad 2nd were good, third was ok and 4th was a fucking waste. I hate autos. With the same setup and jus the auto manual swap.....my car was pulling much harder and i actually had use of all gears.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
MiG said:
it is more recommendable to run with a manuel as to decrease the spool-up time.
MiG
actually, with a manual, you have more spool up time because the TB is closed when you change gears. in an auto, the TB stays open while you change gears, so you dont have to worry about lag.
but manual is just better in every other aspect. if i were you, i'd use that turbo money to do a tranny swap instead.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
///M3ssican said:
I actually want to get my turbo first...then tranny swap
Nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect to be beating cars left and right with a turbo auto. The auto tranny really robs so much power compared to a manual.

If you have never driven stick either, it would be wise to do the tranny swap first so you can get accustomed to it instead of having to learn to drive stick in a turbocharged car where more stuff can go wrong. Just wanted to leave that in the open.

Good luck man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts