Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a '91 Teg GS that has over 220k and going, the car w/ a CAI, header, and some custom piping for a different muffler beats the hell outta 2G's w/ more than that

we figure that the head was shaved to increase compression or overbore to the block, we don't know 'til we open up the engine, since the previous owner(s) didn't tell use what all went into the engine rebuild

here's the question we're building a turbo kit for the car, saying the engine's still good internally, should he spend the $ to rebuild again w/ lower compression pistons and over stronger internals or get a 3G LS motor or say a B16A and turbo one of those 2 engine's instead?

Thanx,

Jay

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
if he's got the money, then i say go for the b16. IMO, (and MatT3T4's) the b16 is better suited for turbo. getting this engine will cost you less than rebuilding the b18, and youll have money left over for fuel mods like a new pump, injectors and possibly a hondata... good luck

·
Registered
834 Posts
you think a b16 is better for turbo?? not me the b18b has the low 9.2:1 compression which is great for boost. The b16 has 10.somthing:1

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i used to think that the lower the compression, the better for turbo, but thats not neccesarily true... the b16 and the other vtec engines have a better lubrication system, which we all know is imperative to a turbocharged car. for a quick fix of the compression issue though, he can get a thicker headgasket and he's golden.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i think the b18c1 is better.. in my opinon.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Get a b16 over a B18 with all the money that swapp costed what do you get? No real advantages at all maybe the oil system is better I'm not sure, one thing I am sure of is there are many people who reliably boost B18s you would get a hell of a lot more torque then a b16 and the horsepower would be on par as well.

What I reccomend you do is boost the motor you have. Sure it may have high compression just run less boost, get a standalone tuning device such as www.hondata.com and you will be good. I would only reccomend building the motor if you are after over 250whp. If the current engine has aggressive cams in place swapp them out and replace them with stock ones.
HTH

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude you just made no sence... you said take a B16 over a B18 and then talk up the B18??

I already told him what he should do, we were just looking for opinions here, you guys don't have to argue

how does a B18A have high compression???? it's in the low 9's

Later,

Jay

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nah I didn't make it clear I meant it to read like this

Get a b16 over a B18? With all the money that swapp costed what do you get? No real advantages at all maybe the oil system is better I'm not sure, one thing I am sure of is there are many people who reliably boost B18s you would get a hell of a lot more torque then a b16 and the horsepower would be on par as well.

What I reccomend you do is boost the motor you have. Sure it may have high compression just run less boost, get a standalone tuning device such as www.hondata.com and you will be good. I would only reccomend building the motor if you are after over 250whp. If the current engine has aggressive cams in place swapp them out and replace them with stock ones.
HTH

Make sense now.

With the compression you yourself were implying that it had been raised, standard b18 have about 9.2/1.

·
Registered
909 Posts
220k since the rebuild? or just miles on the car? You can save a few bucks going with a b18b and like zcsohc said, you'll have much more torque.. torque wins races ;) Maybe your compression is higher from lots of carbon deposits... actually it does happen and can raise compression by a couple tenths of a point. Not really that noticeable though... A B16 has a better rod/stroke ratio, but since you won't need to rev high to produce lots of power in a turboed B18B that doesn't really matter. Go with whatever you get a better deal on IMHO.. They both can be great turboed, get whatever fits your driving style. High compression + boost is a good thing with proper tuning, better powerband and more off boost power as well.. There are pros and cons to either setup... Sorry this isn't really an answer, there just isn't a one size fits all answer to this question in my opinion. Just my $.02

·
Registered
170 Posts
stick with the b18

do0d,i say stick with the b18...you already have a good motor to play with...why buy another "smaller" engine...jus rebuild...get it a lil stronger and boost the crap out of it...either way you are gonna soend gobs of money...and either you will still end up wit a sick car...oh and i agree wit skibbs totally...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts