Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when a car comes with a turbo like wrx or 911 turbo, do they have blow off valves? if they do, how come u can't hear it? do they have some kind of sliencer? and is it necessary to have a bof if u have a turbo?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
its not necessary to have a blow off valve on a turbo, but you cant be boosting all that much... for example, the 5.5 psi sohc greddy kit is non intercooled and has no BOV... not much compressor surge with 5.5 psi and its pretty safe like that... if you wanna raise boost above that though, you gotta have a blow off valve... why are you asking this, just out of curiosity, or because you dont want a blow off valve? just wondering

· Registered
18 Posts
im running a 5psi kit and when i disconnected my bov vauum line by mistake one time and the compressor surge was incredible! it sounded like a loud owl, even louder than my hks bov whoosh.

but i too would like to know what cars are equiped with bov's stock and why some arn't.

· Registered
834 Posts
all the factory turbo cars have BOV's you have to have one on a turbo car only reason you cant hear them because there not atomspherical dumps like the aftermarket ones the factory ones dump the bov air back into the intake piping.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Ohh I Was With One Of My Buddies And We Pulled Up Beside A 96-00 Integera And We Thought It Wasn't Fast Because It Just Looked Stock Then When I Looked At The Front He Had The JDM Conversion And As The Light Hit Green We Peeled Off And Flew Away About 5 Seconds Later All I Heard Was A Turbo Spinning So Loud With The Loudest Blow Off Valve And We Just Looked Bad So We Turned Onto A Different Street
LoL
hahahahhaha

· Registered
1,885 Posts
aemcivic_02917 said:
all the factory turbo cars have BOV's you have to have one on a turbo car only reason you cant hear them because there not atomspherical dumps like the aftermarket ones the factory ones dump the bov air back into the intake piping.
really?:p

in that case, can you help me find my BOV??:confused:

you must know more than me cuz as far as i know, all Porsche turbos come with a wastegate:)

· Registered
1,063 Posts
aemcivic_02917 said:
weird how i was dumping my greddy type s back into my intake on the eclipse... i heard it loud and clear... as for BOV's being on EVERY turbo car, i dont think so...

btw, in my first post, did i mention anything about how cool a BOV sounded? its rice to be concerned over that shit IMO

· Registered
1,063 Posts
pissedoffsol said:
youre a moron.

A BOV has one purpose and one purpose only: To protect the turbo from negative flowing air pressure which leads to turbo malfunction.

it has NOTHING to do with how much boost.
it has NOTHING to do with how cool it sounds.

*shakes head*
so much misinformation here....
when being an asshole like that you better be 200% sure you know what youre talking about... mr. 84 posts, you cant do shit like that

· Registered
834 Posts
every factory turbo car ive seen has a BOV look on the charge pipe to the TB the wastegate is totaly different from a bOV as for the greddy type-s of course it will be loud if you dump it back into the charge pipe cuz its a aftermarket bov of course it will be loud no mater were it dumps to.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
i know... you said that if its dumped back into the intake, you couldnt hear it, i said you can hear it

· Registered
11,248 Posts
pissedoffsol said:
youre a moron.

A BOV has one purpose and one purpose only: To protect the turbo from negative flowing air pressure which leads to turbo malfunction.

it has NOTHING to do with how much boost.
it has NOTHING to do with how cool it sounds.

*shakes head*
so much misinformation here....
Now lets think about what you just said... Don't you think that a system pushing more boost will have more negative flowing air? And isn't it logical that more negative flowing air would be worse for a turbo? So from there, we can say that more boost creates more negative flowing air. So more boost increases the need for a BOV. Think before you type...

It would be wise to have a BOV with any turbo setup. However you could probably get away with not having one when running low boost. If running higher boost, then you definately need one.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
kommon sense, you sir, are the man... thanx for the backup

· Registered
7,356 Posts
The purpose of a blow off valve is to prevent pressure spikes in the intake pipes when the throttle plate is closed when you're boosting, preventing the turbo from surging. A blow-off valve is welded onto the charge piping between the turbo and the throttle body and has a vacuum line that is usually attached to both the other side of the BOV valve and the intake manifold. When you close the throttle plate while boosting all that air slams into the plate and pressure spikes. The result is the valve opens to allow the pressure to vent out. Also included in a good BOV is some kind of spring to help keep the valve closed during modulating part throttle situations so the BOV doesn't open and cause drivability problems.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: Question ?

Rice-Box said:
Just wondering if someone could explain the
purpose of a Blow Off Valve
what does it do to the turbo and
is there any way of making the sound louder hahha
do you really want an answer? im really starting to get annoyed with your posts... what the hell is so funny at the end of every post of yours?

· Registered
1,186 Posts
wow what is your problem ?
your mad at me cause i laugh when
i leave messages, you must be in a bad
mood all the time aren't you ?
And why are you getting annoyed with my
posts ?
cause i am asking questions that i don't know
you should take some medication

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.