Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
prove it lol

and i know blanks are fine. i would never buy drilled on my street car. i'm just saying that to say drilled is bad isn't exactly correct. again if they were detrimental or unsafe then you wouldn't see multi-million dollar cars driving with them. it's not just an old fad that stuck around. you won't notice a difference on your daily driver, but for top of the line vehicles they are there for a reason, and you can't argue that with internet facts
there are quite a few high end cars that don't use them as well.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
there are quite a few high end cars that don't use them as well.
so what? there are high end cars that don't use v8's....does that mean v8's are gonna explode and be unsafe? the point is there are high end multi million dollar companies that use them on their best products for decades without issue or failure.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
I haven't personally experianced a rotor blowing up, no. But I have had a guy I know have some crack, which would have lead to them exploding. Granted the car was tracked at road America, but he never had blank or slotted ones crack/fail, but the drilled ones did. Don't know what brand they were, so I can't say with certainty weather it was an e-gay rotor or not.

hey, at least my FWD automatic soccer mom car is faster than your 5spd glorified econo box :)
1. doesn't mean anything...i've seen falken tires blow up randomly, does that mean all falken tires suck?

2. you might be faster on the highway but i don't know about 3500 lbs around the cones

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I haven't personally experianced a rotor blowing up, no. But I have had a guy I know have some crack, which would have lead to them exploding. Granted the car was tracked at road America, but he never had blank or slotted ones crack/fail, but the drilled ones did. Don't know what brand they were, so I can't say with certainty weather it was an e-gay rotor or not.

hey, at least my FWD automatic soccer mom car is faster than your 5spd glorified econo box :)
yeah, maybe in a straight line but on a track with turns i'd own you. and you have more displacement and a turbo. let me have some boost and we'll see who's faster. and i dont considered your car a soccer mom car, they have more taste then that. if i'm gonna drive an slow automatic might as well be a mini van so i can ride around with my family and still be comfy.:)

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
yeah, maybe in a straight line but on a track with turns i'd own you. and you have more displacement and a turbo. let me have some boost and we'll see who's faster. and i dont considered your car a soccer mom car, they have more taste then that. if i'm gonna drive an slow automatic might as well be a mini van so i can ride around with my family and still be comfy.:)
lol you guys are ridic.....when i add turbo this spring i'll race you both around the track and highway lol

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
lol you guys are ridic.....when i add turbo this spring i'll race you both around the track and highway lol
i'm just saying, nothing serious. lol i dont care who has a faster car. mini vans today are most likely faster than me too. i remember at toyota the v6 sienna had some balls! lol i'm down for the race as long as i can haz turbo too!

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
i'm just saying, nothing serious. lol i dont care who has a faster car. mini vans today are most likely faster than me too. i remember at toyota the v6 sienna had some balls! lol i'm down for the race as long as i can haz turbo too!
i know i'm just giving you shit.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
lol, I'm aware its not fantastic at auto-x, I've raced it several times, but I hold my own, for a giant 3700lbs FWD brick, it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Lol @ this thread.

I don't recommend drilled rotors for the reasons mqtgsr stated, and combined with most peoples maintainence skills... Or lack there of. They would just drive them until they"warped". However the cracking starts far before that happens and you don't even have to beat on the car.

There's a vette owner 60 something years old, and his drilled rotors are cracked. He had his car at a weekend car show here where I live. he doesn't beat on it yet they are still forming cracks.

With peoples perceptions so narrow these days, they won't inspect critical parts on a car. Much like you should regularly inspect brake lines. Even more so when you have stainless steel lines installed instead of the factory hoses, as their failure rate is higher despite their better performance and higher bust strength.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
what the fuck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The F1 brakes have been carbon/carbon for a long time, so the video is off point. I have drilled rotors in the past and they do crack faster especially if drilled in a straight line radial pattern. Offsetting alternate rows of holes helps as does a slight counter sink of the holes or peening the edge of the hole by setting a hardened ball bearing (about twice the size of the hole) in the hole and smacking it once with a brass hammer. Also position your holes so they don't weaken the ribs on ventilated rotors. I have blank rotors cracking now on a road race Integra. Now I slot them with a ball end mill. Anyone racing will inspect the rotors and replace cracked one long before they explode

21 - 35 of 35 Posts