Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to turn this thread into a multi-purpose computer thread. You'll find your tutorials here as well as various programs such as antivirus or zip programs. If you have any info to add let me know!

------------------------------------------------
Updated 4/2/06

I just added Open Office to the software list. Check it out if you're in need of an office suite.

Previous Updates

- I just added a tutorial on how to format your computer with Windows XP.

- I also added, under Information, how you can disable the Windows Genuine Advantage so you can use Windows Updates. It's for those who are not allowed to use Windows Updates.

-Added DVD Fab Decrypter - an alternative to DVD Decrypter which is no longer updated.
---------------------------------------------------------

Navigation:

Tutorial

Software

All software are FREE to download unless noted otherwise.

• Office Suite
    • Open Office
      Open Office is a FREE office suite. It is comparable to Microsoft Office. It has all the needed programs such as a word preccessor, spreadsheet, presentation tools, and more. I believe you can save to Microsoft Office's formats as well.

• Audio and Video
    • Audio and Video: Microsoft Media Encoder
      This program can convert most formats to windows media format. I use this program to convert mp3s to a smaller wma file for web hosting.

• Video: Daemon Tools
      Used to mount ISOs or Image to a virtual drive for playback. Example: a DVD ISO can be mounted to the vritual drive and playback normally as a DVD.

• DVD Ripper: DVD Fab Decrypter
      I haven't tried the program out myself yet, but alot of people seems to like it.

• DVD Ripper: DVD Decrypter
      This program can rip games and movies in an ISO format which then can be burnt or mounted with daemon tools. EDIT: It seems this is the lastest and last version of DVD Decrypter. The author has been ordered to shut down.

• Video: DVD Shrink
      Transcoder or DVD compression program. Shrinks DVD to fit onto a standard 4.7gb dvd disc. *Please only backup movies you own.

• Video: GSpot - Codec Information Appliance
      This program is useful in identifying what codec your video file uses. It also tell you if you have the necessary codec installed.

• Codec: ffdshow
      Will play both DivX and Xvid files. Probably will play any mpeg4 files.

• Quicktime and Real Player Alternatives
      If you don't like installing Quicktime or Real Player, then you can try out these Alternatives. They'll play Quicktime or Real Player media files but don't expect them to do everything =P

• Communication
    • IM Messenger: Gaim
      Multi-protocol Instant Messenger Client. It is compatible with Yahoo, AIM, MSN and a few more.

Information

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Integra.....

Another question if you don't mind. Lets say I have a bunch of VCDs (video) and I want to squeeze the files into one dvd, how should go about doing so? Thx once again.
JACK

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jackmac said:
Another question if you don't mind. Lets say I have a bunch of VCDs (video) and I want to squeeze the files into one dvd, how should go about doing so? Thx once again.
JACK
check out www.doom9.org i think in the forum they had some instructions for this. be prepared for lots of work though. there's lots of extracting and converting. i don't think there's any easy way to do it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Integra,

Just few more questions if you don't mind.....

1) Do you always use decryptor to rip and then dvdshrink to transcode?

2) Have you tried other ripping devices? Is it better than decryptor?

3) Have you heard about the Pinnacle Intervideo DVD2 (IC 8) Is it any good?

Thx.
JACK

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jackmac said:
Hey Integra,

Just few more questions if you don't mind.....

1) Do you always use decryptor to rip and then dvdshrink to transcode?

2) Have you tried other ripping devices? Is it better than decryptor?

3) Have you heard about the Pinnacle Intervideo DVD2 (IC 8) Is it any good?

Thx.
JACK
Yea i always use decypter. because usually i make an image and store it for later. sometimes when i'm in a hurry i just do it straight from the dvdrom. I have tried cloneDVD and DVDxcopy. DVDxcopy is ok. cloneDVD is ok. I feel i'm in more control when i'm using DVDshrink and it's free. Nope i haven't heard of the intervideo DVD2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Integra.....

Do you happen to know how to use VOB/IFO edit? The reason why I am asking is because I ripped some VOB files from a badly scratched dvd. Now I need to burn them onto a dvd.
THX
JACK

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jackmac said:
Do you happen to know how to use VOB/IFO edit? The reason why I am asking is because I ripped some VOB files from a badly scratched dvd. Now I need to burn them onto a dvd.
THX
JACK
so u ripped the vob/ifo files from the dvd? if so just use nero and burn it under dvd-video and under the VIDEO_TS folder

·
Registered
79 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
so u ripped the vob/ifo files from the dvd? if so just use nero and burn it under dvd-video and under the VIDEO_TS folder

Integra,

I only ripped the VOB files using dvd decryptor. They don't have ifo files, so I cannot burn them with decryptor. Do I need to use ifo edit in this case?
JACK

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jackmac said:
Integra,

I only ripped the VOB files using dvd decryptor. They don't have ifo files, so I cannot burn them with decryptor. Do I need to use ifo edit in this case?
JACK
sorry i can't help ya there. don't really know about this situation. the only thing that comes to mind would be converting the VOB to avi/mpg. as for using ifoedit to make the ifo? i never used the program. www.dvdrhelp.com might be a helpful link. then there's the bup files also in the dvd. so you should just clean up that DVD and re-rip it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
sorry i can't help ya there. don't really know about this situation. the only thing that comes to mind would be converting the VOB to avi/mpg. as for using ifoedit to make the ifo? i never used the program. www.dvdrhelp.com might be a helpful link. then there's the bup files also in the dvd. so you should just clean up that DVD and re-rip it.
Thanks once again,

I will go check out the site to see if I can find any info. Thx.
JACK

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
sweet, i just got my 50 pack order of dvd's from newegg and have "backed up" three dvd's so far with dvdshrink and nero. those programs kick ass!
one thing i was curious about however, why is it that sometimes in the audio menu selection, there are usually multiple english tracks? i know that there should be a stereo, and a 5.1 track, but sometimes there were like 3 stereo tracks. anyone know why?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
neldogg said:
sweet, i just got my 50 pack order of dvd's from newegg and have "backed up" three dvd's so far with dvdshrink and nero. those programs kick ass!
one thing i was curious about however, why is it that sometimes in the audio menu selection, there are usually multiple english tracks? i know that there should be a stereo, and a 5.1 track, but sometimes there were like 3 stereo tracks. anyone know why?

sometimes they're director's comments. stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
not bad, not bad at all...

1 - 20 of 134 Posts