Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the computer i'm building i want to run a double hard drive set up, one harddrive(slave) will hold the OS and Documents and the other (master) will hold all other bullshit (games, programs, downloads, camcorder vid editing, ect)

I want to use SATA hard drives but i don't know if i can run a Master/Slave setup on them, i've seen the cable and it doesn't look like it will do it.





If i'm worrying over nothing please excuse my n00bness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
You can run two SATA hard drives....but you need two slots on the motherboard. My dell has 2 SATA connections and maybe 5-6 IDE slots.


I am running 2 hard drives in mine....(1) SATA 120 GB and (1) IDE 250 GB.

they are pretty easy to set up/configure. Check your motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
Yep ^ Each SATA drive has its own cable. Ive never heard of an SATA MB only having one connection tho. Should be no problem so long as you have an SATA controller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks i was just confused because i was used to ribbon cables and IDE conections where there was a master and slave jumpers

so what i need is two seperate cables for each hard drive?

Is even a master/slave type of deal going on there?

I am the confused one :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
IntegerDr3vr said:
ok thanks i was just confused because i was used to ribbon cables and IDE conections where there was a master and slave jumpers

so what i need is two seperate cables for each hard drive?

Is even a master/slave type of deal going on there?

I am the confused one :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

SATA drives use a different connecting cable. Each drive uses its own cable from the MOBO


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Hey I got a dell computer also...

So with a Serial ATA hard drive, are there any jumper settings? etc Master/Slave/Cable Select?

I'm planning to add a second hard drive.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
Redline25 said:
Hey I got a dell computer also...

So with a Serial ATA hard drive, are there any jumper settings? etc Master/Slave/Cable Select?

I'm planning to add a second hard drive.

Thanks


Nope, since there is only one cable per drive there is no need for one to be a master and one a slave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
you also need a special connector from the power supply for the SATA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
joeyl said:
you also need a special connector from the power supply for the SATA.

Thats true but if he bought a machine with an SATA drive in it then there will be two connectors for drives.

Also a converter isnt too hard to find
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
joeyl said:
you also need a special connector from the power supply for the SATA.
Not true… Yes there is a special power connector for SATA drives, but you can still use the old power connector. A small word of caution “do not use both on one drive”

Now my question is, why stop at 2 drives :)
I have 4 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
Rev ATARI said:
Not true… Yes there is a special power connector for SATA drives, but you can still use the old power connector. A small word of caution “do not use both on one drive”

Now my question is, why stop at 2 drives :)
I have 4 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives

None of my SATA drives accept the old power connector, Only through the use of an adaptor. Or is this what you meant?


Or is there an SATA out there with connections for both on the back? Who makes the drive if there is plz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
logikal x said:
None of my SATA drives accept the old power connector, Only through the use of an adaptor. Or is this what you meant?


Or is there an SATA out there with connections for both on the back? Who makes the drive if there is plz
All 4 of my SATA drives have a plug for the old style “4 pin molex like IDE drives” and the new style like the SATA drives…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
Rev ATARI said:
All 4 of my SATA drives have a plug for the old style “4 pin molex like IDE drives” and the new style like the SATA drives…

They must be original sata or something weird cuz none of mine have that. Interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
djcaseanova said:
just get a RAID motherboard, won't that do it???
Do what?

Anyway most new MB’s are RAID capable that’s why I have so many drives
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
logikal x said:
They must be original sata or something weird cuz none of mine have that. Interesting
What kind of drives do you have? Mine are all Maxtor Diamondmax 10 drives
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
logikal x said:
They must be original sata or something weird cuz none of mine have that. Interesting
I've never seen this either :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
Rev ATARI said:
What kind of drives do you have? Mine are all Maxtor Diamondmax 10 drives

Western Digitals, not sure the model exactly and they are being used by a lady in Graphic design and a programming machine now so i wouldnt be able to interrupt them to take a look
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The motherboard i have is brand new so i know its got an SATA controller, so i don't have to mess with any sort of settings?

oh wait i guess you already answered that


On another note whats the best manufacturer to look for for hard drives
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top