Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...i got a dilema...im gonna get an intake...but i dont know what kind... Should i go Short Ram or Cold Air? What do you guy prefer and what brand? I dont care about money, i just want to know what the best quality/performance i can get for the dollar. Thanks!! oh...i have a 97 Civic Ex 5 Spd

Andy

· Registered
3,783 Posts
DomesticKiller said:
Hey Guys...i got a dilema...im gonna get an intake...but i dont know what kind... Should i go Short Ram or Cold Air? What do you guy prefer and what brand? I dont care about money, i just want to know what the best quality/performance i can get for the dollar. Thanks!! oh...i have a 97 Civic Ex 5 Spd

Andy
Could of used the search function. But yes, AEM cold air intake will give you the best performance for an intake.

· Registered
225 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Yep... I just took off my short ram and went back to a k&n drop in.

I'll sell you my Injen short ram plus the Cold air extension with a k&n cone filter if you want :)
Why did you go to the drop in filter as upposed to a less restrictive intake tube and filter? Just wondering.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
You aren't going to gain that much hp out of an intake. AEM isn't worth the extra money if you want the best bang for the buck. Best will be taking out your resonator and dropping in a k&n which runs like $35-$40. Or you could go with iceman which is cheaper than aem. I got my aem because I had the extra money laying around and I liked the way the aem looked. If you just want bang for the buck just get the iceman or even easier the k&n drop in without the resonator. Intakes really just make your car sound like it has more balls and combined with other mods helps. But don't expect to get a WOAH SHIT damn this car pulls now with just an intake. You'll get maybe 1-2 hp to the wheels 3 MAYBE peak out of it. As for the bypass valve..... waste of money. The ONLY time they work is if the filter is completly submerged. So unless you plan on driving through a swimming pool or lake it's a waste. it will not help with puddles. Plus the placement of the bypass valve takes away much of the power you gain by the intake because it disrupts the airflow. The bypass valve was designed to cover the asses of aem and to make some money off our paranoid asses. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, e-mail me, or hit me up on aim.

· Registered
494 Posts
pushVTEC said:
You aren't going to gain that much hp out of an intake. AEM isn't worth the extra money if you want the best bang for the buck. Best will be taking out your resonator and dropping in a k&n which runs like $35-$40. Or you could go with iceman which is cheaper than aem. I got my aem because I had the extra money laying around and I liked the way the aem looked. If you just want bang for the buck just get the iceman or even easier the k&n drop in without the resonator. Intakes really just make your car sound like it has more balls and combined with other mods helps. But don't expect to get a WOAH SHIT damn this car pulls now with just an intake. You'll get maybe 1-2 hp to the wheels 3 MAYBE peak out of it. As for the bypass valve..... waste of money. The ONLY time they work is if the filter is completly submerged. So unless you plan on driving through a swimming pool or lake it's a waste. it will not help with puddles. Plus the placement of the bypass valve takes away much of the power you gain by the intake because it disrupts the airflow. The bypass valve was designed to cover the asses of aem and to make some money off our paranoid asses. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, e-mail me, or hit me up on aim.
So why want it help with a puddle? The filter goes under water in a puddle also. If it works in a large amount of water then a small amount should be no problem.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
Because the puddle splashes on it and there is still room for air to go through the filter. So it takes a nice big gulp of that water. best thing to do is take your foot off the gas when you go through a puddle. Screw that bypass valve.

· Registered
494 Posts
pushVTEC said:
Because the puddle splashes on it and there is still room for air to go through the filter. So it takes a nice big gulp of that water. best thing to do is take your foot off the gas when you go through a puddle. Screw that bypass valve.
OK I think I understand what you mean now. Since the bypass valve is activated by a drop in pressure, the small amount of water that gets on it from a puddle isn't enough to activate it. Hence the filter continues to draw air from the main filter. I feel smart now :cool:

OH SHIT! THAT WAS MY 100TH POST!

· Registered
1,379 Posts
AEM is not necessarily the best. I mean your talking 1-2 whp only real difference is where the peak hp is. Iceman is just as good as an aem and much cheaper. Since basically all you get from an intake is a deeper noise from your engine. It's nothing amazing. The filter makes most of the hp.

· Registered
768 Posts
Heres another idea that I just did with my sisters car... remove the resonator, cut the stock intake tube near the end and added an aftermarket short ram intake filter to the end of the stock intake pipe... cost = $39.95 for the filter

· Registered
3,081 Posts
get a Comptech Icebox...nice gains and you won't worry about hydrolock...the bypass valve is crap for the AEM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.