Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The Type R head flows better than the GSR head. Going with that would be a down grqade IMO. If you can, get yourself the R head to go with your block.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mr GSR said:
The Type R head flows better than the GSR head. Going with that would be a down grqade IMO. If you can, get yourself the R head to go with your block.

But also the GSR will yield a higher compression ratio. And if you're serious about the build, get the GSR ported and polished, let it breathe. You should be setup really well with that. Go to www.c-speedracing.com to check out the compression ratio calculator.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
They use the same exact block! What you're talking about is a full GSR motor. But if you mean a Type R bottom end, with type R pistons, rods, and crank, I suppose the compression will be a little higher and the balanced crank will make it smoother at high RPMs. Get a B16 head and have portwork done on it. Same as an ITR head.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
They use the same exact block! What you're talking about is a full GSR motor. But if you mean a Type R bottom end, with type R pistons, rods, and crank, I suppose the compression will be a little higher and the balanced crank will make it smoother at high RPMs. Get a B16 head and have portwork done on it. Same as an ITR head.
he knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
dude if you have the gsr head already put it on the itr block just get a ctr or itr intake cam ... if you can and a blox intake manifold .. you prob have the same power if not just a little more ..the b16 head my flow better than the gsr but the gsr flow more air .. if i can find the site again ill post it that it almost no diffrence on power with the same cams .. but the gsr did still out perform the b16 by alittle..but if you dont have the gsr head get the b16 its cheaper .. i have a b20vtec with a gsr head ... with a itr intake cam but i already had the head .. i just got rid of the b18c block .. i need the tq

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We have an old thread on here about the differences and flow rate compared by Honda head porter Alazniz. Flow is not that much different. GSR will yield higher CR due to the quench area.

240psi compression test doesn't mean that it has 11.1:1 CR. As a matter of fact all B18c's (ITR and GSR) have a nominal pressure of 270psi and I have seen GSR's put out about 250psi.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
female four said:
We have an old thread on here about the differences and flow rate compared by Honda head porter Alazniz. Flow is not that much different. GSR will yield higher CR due to the quench area.

240psi compression test doesn't mean that it has 11.1:1 CR. As a matter of fact all B18c's (ITR and GSR) have a nominal pressure of 270psi and I have seen GSR's put out about 250psi.
:btu

·
Registered
1 Posts
dude if you have the gsr head already put it on the itr block just get a ctr or itr intake cam ... if you can and a blox intake manifold .. you prob have the same power if not just a little more ..the b16 head my flow better than the gsr but the gsr flow more air .. if i can find the site again ill post it that it almost no diffrence on power with the same cams .. but the gsr did still out perform the b16 by alittle..but if you dont have the gsr head get the b16 its cheaper .. i have a b20vtec with a gsr head ... with a itr intake cam but i already had the head .. i just got rid of the b18c block .. i need the tq
Is it possible to do the b20vtec GSR head with a type R bottom? How would this play out as far as raw power?

I'm checking out a b20z with a blown trans, to possibly swap out my stock b18b1 later this week. Wondering if it's better to try and do that swap with a gsr head and type R bottom or try to find a C5 trans for my b18??? I want raw motor power as close to a muscle engine feel as I can get. What do you guys reccomend?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts