Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrights guys, I'm looking to turn my GSR into a Type-R, and no, I don't mean a motor swap, I'm talking removing my GSR head, swapping it with a Si head, valve stuff, shave the head slighty, and A-spec Integra Type-R Pistons (they equal the same compression ratio as Civic type-R pistons anyways). Then swapping my tranny with an Si tranny, cause type-R tranny's are hard to find where I live at. Along with the Jackson Racing Vtec controller, cause it uses your ECU to tell the Vtec to kick in early, versus the Apex one, that your ECU will adjust the A/F ratios for you. Cause I wanna go all motor, cause I like reliability, I travel back forth between Orlando and Tampa, and after seeing what my friend is going through with his LS Turbo, F/I doesn't seem too appealling. This will be happening within March, cause I wanna be ready for Hot Import Nights in Orlando. The only reason why I'm doing this is cause I heard if convert a GSR into a Type-R, versus motor swap, it'll actually have more torque and power, even though, you may have the same amount of HP. My GSR running right now with bent exhaust valves pulls type-R's anyways and it's an OBD-2 motor. and all I've done is shave the head, and put intake, and exhaust.

I just wanna know has anybody, done a conversion on a GSR to Type-R, and have they seen difference in performance, if not. I'll just fix my exhaust valves, throw in a Skunk2 Intake Mani, Skunk2 Cams, Sk2 Cam gears, and a 50 shot of nitrous.

Any info and pointers would be appreciated.

'97 Integra GSR
[email protected][/EMAIL]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why do you want to swap heads? You already have a good one. I would just get ITR cams, aftermarket cam gears, VAFC, and some tuning. Fix those valves first. Get a good JDM header also.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
mm..........a-spec p73 does not have the same cr as pct pistons :) heck , nothing does :) convert a gsr to a itr is alot of work :) and pointless imo :) just get a itr if you want one :) making a gsr faster then a itr on the other hand is pretty easy :) i/h/e, skunk2 cams, cam gears, intake manifold, and youll hang with any itr out there :) about $2000 worth of stuff :) course if you go fi its even easier :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
IntegraGSR401 said:
Alrights guys, I'm looking to turn my GSR into a Type-R, and no, I don't mean a motor swap, I'm talking removing my GSR head, swapping it with a Si head, valve stuff, shave the head slighty, and A-spec Integra Type-R Pistons (they equal the same compression ratio as Civic type-R pistons anyways). Then swapping my tranny with an Si tranny, cause type-R tranny's are hard to find where I live at. Along with the Jackson Racing Vtec controller, cause it uses your ECU to tell the Vtec to kick in early, versus the Apex one, that your ECU will adjust the A/F ratios for you. Cause I wanna go all motor, cause I like reliability, I travel back forth between Orlando and Tampa, and after seeing what my friend is going through with his LS Turbo, F/I doesn't seem too appealling. This will be happening within March, cause I wanna be ready for Hot Import Nights in Orlando. The only reason why I'm doing this is cause I heard if convert a GSR into a Type-R, versus motor swap, it'll actually have more torque and power, even though, you may have the same amount of HP. My GSR running right now with bent exhaust valves pulls type-R's anyways and it's an OBD-2 motor. and all I've done is shave the head, and put intake, and exhaust.

I just wanna know has anybody, done a conversion on a GSR to Type-R, and have they seen difference in performance, if not. I'll just fix my exhaust valves, throw in a Skunk2 Intake Mani, Skunk2 Cams, Sk2 Cam gears, and a 50 shot of nitrous.

Any info and pointers would be appreciated.

'97 Integra GSR
[email protected][/EMAIL]
forget the oem cams, pistons, etc. not worth the $. get aftermarket stuff like specs c/3 cams, 12.1 cr pistons, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LAblue said:
mm..........a-spec p73 does not have the same cr as pct pistons :) heck , nothing does :) convert a gsr to a itr is alot of work :) and pointless imo :) just get a itr if you want one :) making a gsr faster then a itr on the other hand is pretty easy :) i/h/e, skunk2 cams, cam gears, intake manifold, and youll hang with any itr out there :) about $2000 worth of stuff :) course if you go fi its even easier :)
damn can you use any more smiley faces?! ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with the others on this one. It does seem like a waste of money. They ITR pistons sounds good though.

"LAblue" did u ever get those type R pistons before SHO went offline. And also if not wut did u decide to get from ur friend?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I'd get those valves fixed pronto, Then take some time and make a next step. The Si tranny is a good choice, but also consider a good LSD.

Hell since you say:"My GSR running right now with bent exhaust valves pulls type-R's anyways"

Why do you want to upgrade to a lowly makeshift R engine?

Why not rebuild the GSR engine from bottom up and run NOS instead of FI since you are not an FI fan?

Me personally, with a GSR, I'd build it up and Turbo the Crap out of it!

But, remember you should CERTAINLY upgrade yor brakes and rotors so you have a fighting chance to Stop.

Balance the power with handeling prowess... Do it right the first time.

A.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Import2Vision said:
I agree with the others on this one. It does seem like a waste of money. They ITR pistons sounds good though.

"LAblue" did u ever get those type R pistons before SHO went offline. And also if not wut did u decide to get from ur friend?
yeah i was gonna get it , but i change my mind and got a pair of omori tachometer from him instead :) theyre great , looks alsum at night :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Check out this site... http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine.tips/engine_building_tip-pistons_1.html
Do what they say; then Ceramic coat your stock pistons.
Get JE/SRP rings or Total seal rings.
Run Ferrea stainless exhaust valves (since they are already bent)
Deshroud your valves.
Run a NOS DPI plate kit with a 100 shot.
Get a set of used ITR cams on here or Ebay.\
If you wanna get a computer dont get a VAFC get a hondata Stage 2. It is only a little more and worth so much more in the long run. www.Hondata.com

You'll have a nice daily driver-but sick straight line car when you nurse it.

That's all for about $1000 minus the labor and computer.

There's my 1.5 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts