Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title states.. i want to put a type r lsd into a 2000 civic si.
i have been told it is a direct fit. but i have also been told you need the type r ring gear and shaft,. is this true>?

any help would be apriciated. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure exactly what it would take. Probably could run any B-series ring and pinion set. Type R has a 4.7 ratio which would be nice.

My question for you: Is it true that the type R uses a helical (torque biased) LSD rather than the usual clutch type found in most Honda LSD trannys? I've got a clutch type LSD in my civic. Good for drag racing, but sucks for autocross. Thinking of going with a Quaife, but if a type R is torque biased like the Quaife, that would be a good option.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anybody else :rolleyes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I got the eye roll, I suppose I'll take a better stab at it:

Any ring and pinion set from a Y series tranny will go on the type R diff. A type R transmission is the same as any other Y series except for the ratio and the LSD. You should even be able to bolt up the ring gear to currently running to the new carrier. As with any ring & pinion work, you have to be sure to check gear clearance and gear mesh pattern or it will ring like crazy.

My question was only that I know that all the Honda LSD's I have seen have been clutch type LSD's. I read somewhere that some of the type R's came with a helical type LSD made like a quaife or a torson style, but I have never seen one in person made like this. Since you were looking at one, I thought you might know if this was true or if it was just random bs. Just looking for some mutual help. :btu

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thankx

everything i have read is that all the type r lsds. are clutched. :)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
OMG... I know this is a month late, but this thread is full of bad info.

You DO need a GS-R or ITR ring and pinion because the LS and B16A trannies have different bolt patterns for the differential and ring gear.

The ITR LSD IS HELICAL, all of the ITR diffs are and none of them use clutches. What is "everything you have read" exactly? That's just scary. I believe the S2000 uses clutches, but the CL-S, ITR, current Civic Si, and TL all use helical if I'm not mistaken, not clutch pack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.