Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is it worth it to put type r pistons on a b18b nonvtec engine?? I know that the rods have to be regrinded in order for them to fit. Will this be bad for the motor in some way?? thanks

· Registered
2,222 Posts
forget the stock pistons. they're not worth the $. if you're serious about power get aftermarket 12 cr pistons or something (93 octane required), and at the same time put on a b16 head. however, you have a really good platform for a turbo, you can run 12 psi with stock internals if tuned properly.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Hey, the del Sol pistons are the exact same as the Civic Si '99-00 pistons, right? I'm looking to put some in my B18B also.

· Registered
124 Posts
the 99-00 SI arent worth swapping into the b18a/b's because i the b18a/b's head combustion chamber is larger therfore giving it a lower compression rating than in a b16a. id say go civic type r pistons, i did. just waiting to throw them on.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah, but using the CR Calculator , it looks like those pistons would yield a 10.8:1 CR with a 3-layer gasket, higher than ITR pistons.

· Registered
124 Posts
i dont kno if the owner got the bugs out but ive heard some people complaining that it was off by a couple points or so. but even if you do get those pistons your c/r is just like an R and will need 93+ octance, why not throw in some civic type r's which will give you mid 11's:1 which is totally usable on the same 93+ octane gas. if your going all motor and dont wanna go all out on forged pistons, i think CTR's are the choice of N/A freaks.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Holy old thread Batman!

If you don't want to spend a few thousand bucks on TOP of your turbo build to make a crazy high compression turbo build, then no, go back to stock LS pistons.

The low compression that the LS piston set up gives makes it easy to boost reliably when tuned correctly. It takes a LOT of professional work and usually drag race only applications to mix high compression and boost using water-meth injection.

Your rods are also probably milled 1mm each side to make the Type R pistons fit on stock LS rods, so you may need to grab stock LS rods as well.

So if you want to keep it basic, and enjoy a 300whp setup (if your block is healthy), you'll need to swap back to stock or aftermarket pistons that yield a compression of 9.2:1 (stock) or lower.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
^^ I agree. Just wanted to add that instead of putting stock LS pistons back in, you might as well sell the LS block with ITR pistons and buy another stock LS shortblock for like $300-400. You'll probably come out ahead cash-wise instead of just paying a bunch of money for assembly/machinework.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Hi, is it worth it to put type r pistons on a b18b nonvtec engine?? I know that the rods have to be regrinded in order for them to fit. Will this be bad for the motor in some way?? thanks
hell yeah it's worth it. you should also upgrade the carbuerator as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.