Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yes. The first thing you should know is...don't convert to OBD2. You can run your ITR swap off a chipped OBD1 ecu and save yourself a world of trouble. If you have the ITR OBD2 ecu, sell it. Pick up a socketed P28 or P72 OBD1 which will plug right into your harness without an expensive adapter, and require no adding of sensors or crazy wiring rigs.

That said, how about more info from you...what model/engine is your hatch?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Ha no, the EMS if a full standalone ecu. It completely replaces your factory ECU and iirc even lets you alter the method of engine management. Like changing from Honda's MAP/TPS style to Speed/Density and stuff.

I was referring to stuff like Hondata and Uberdata, Crome, and others that all are installed into a socket inside the factory ECU.

EDIT: yes you can run an AEM EMS on that engine but not in conjunction with a factory ecu.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Can you post the link to what you are talking about on Ebay?

The chip takes over from the stock program. If an ecu reads a knock sensor signal, the chip can be programmed to ignore it. Do you know what the knock sensor does, is that what you are asking about? If the ecu is chipped with a P73 program that is the ITR program, it should work alright.

Using a generic chip isn't exactly "tuning", but they are adequate to get your car up and running until you want to mod it and do real tuning.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD1...ryZ33596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the site and i didnt really think the 5000 vtec is good but i think the 9600 redline. by the way i see you live in michigan. i live there too. so what area do you live in. i live close to the detroit area. and my name is jang yang is my first time doing my own swap so i kinda still young about the whole sport. thanks for all the help

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
The P28 is a good ecu, many people chip those and run all sorts of engine combinations with it. 5000 rpm VTEC isn't too bad but I think it's a bit low for ITR cams. 9600 redline is fine and all, but don't try to rev that high. The stock valvetrain is not designed for that, you will ruin your expensive investment!

Yeah I'm in NW metro Detroit area, near The Palace.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks i think i may just go for that one then........the p73 one..and do you ever go to like woodward and telegraph and soft like that? just wondering. but yeah new question? if i do the swap and dont convert it like you said what about the other o2 sensors and extras the type-r brings with it? do i connect them to each other?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
EG6_superboi said:
ohhh yeah what is the differece between mechanical and eletrical meters?
mechanical take sa direct reading from whatever its supposed to read. like oil pressure, it would have a oil line running to it to push the needle. electrical would use what the current that the ecu uses to know the oil pressure.....same with other gauge types

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
EG6_superboi said:
thanks i think i may just go for that one then........the p73 one..and do you ever go to like woodward and telegraph and soft like that? just wondering. but yeah new question? if i do the swap and dont convert it like you said what about the other o2 sensors and extras the type-r brings with it? do i connect them to each other?
dont worry about the sensors. you could connect them, but the ecu wont be looking for them. so you could run without them if you wanted also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.