Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any with experience with upgrading to one of these intakes have any thoughts on which one would be the better buy?
I know both won't give crazy power, but if you have any comments that would be great.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
He's talkin about intake manifolds I believe.

And the Skunk2 is designed off of the ITR manifold.....honestly..the best for the money is the AEBS.

However...you have a Teg Se? That has a LS engine right? Your best bet is to upgrade other things first before you upgrade the I/M. (cams/valvetrain/compression)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I know I should do other things. However, I am planning to turbo the car, and I don't have the cash now, so there would be no point in getting a set of cams when I would have to upgrade to Turbo cams anyways. I just want a little more power until the turbo next year, and turbo cams by themselves would not provide that. Skunk2 I/M are just over 200USD on ebay. So I'm thinking that.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
capntoll said:
Yes, I know I should do other things. However, I am planning to turbo the car, and I don't have the cash now, so there would be no point in getting a set of cams when I would have to upgrade to Turbo cams anyways. I just want a little more power until the turbo next year, and turbo cams by themselves would not provide that. Skunk2 I/M are just over 200USD on ebay. So I'm thinking that.
This is still flawed logic, since the plenum and runners on an N/A manifold have different ideal sizes from one designed for an FI motor.

Just hold your horses and save up for the big stuff. And if your car feels slow, just drive someone's car that's slower, it'll feel quick again. How about tires, or a clutch, or several other things you'll want or need to have with the turbo that won't hurt you in the meantime?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah i see. I didn't know you could set up the I/M differently/better for FI. I'm just lookin for somethin in the meantime to keep me happy. As I told u a while ago, I managed to beat the Cruiser Turbo w/ stg 1 at a small track meet. So I know I'm fast, but just want a bit more before I have to start playing with the big stuff. I love my grippy tires, my clutch is minty new, and the i/e/h is treating me well. I really want to go for that set of cams you have, and some cam gears, but if I ever want to turbo, they would be a waste of much needed $$$$.

Help lol.
(I guess I could just be patient and be happy with what I have, but I hope somebody out there has some suggestions lol)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The IM wouldn't work well with stock cams anyway, it would take away power from the midrange and put it up near/past redline. More of a tradeoff than a benefit.

You could do the cams, but then you have to pay for a tuning device of some sort (at least $300) and dyno tuning (at least $100) as well. Crower non-VTEC cams are cheap though and you can find them used for even less, so if you're desperate for power now then you can go for that. Just put the stock ones back and sell the Crowers once you go turbo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
capntoll said:
Ah i see. I didn't know you could set up the I/M differently/better for FI. I'm just lookin for somethin in the meantime to keep me happy. As I told u a while ago, I managed to beat the Cruiser Turbo w/ stg 1 at a small track meet. So I know I'm fast, but just want a bit more before I have to start playing with the big stuff. I love my grippy tires, my clutch is minty new, and the i/e/h is treating me well. I really want to go for that set of cams you have, and some cam gears, but if I ever want to turbo, they would be a waste of much needed $$$$.

Help lol.
(I guess I could just be patient and be happy with what I have, but I hope somebody out there has some suggestions lol)
i have the skunk2 pro series i/m and it works very good what you can do is start buying things that are cheap on ebay then when you have everything, rebuild the engine and install all the stuff you bought thats what i did. i have a 93 teg, b18 ls/vtec turbo. dont install the turbo untill you rebuild the engine with forged pistons and rods thats just my recomendation. Also be carefull with what you buy be sure on what are your horsepower goals before you even start with the project. good luck. get a vtec head its worth the money.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering that. Is ls/vtec worth all the headache with finding the block, having it installed, and isntalling the special kits for the oil etc? Also, when does VTEC kick in. I test drove the S2000 with my dad, and before VTEC kicked in at 5500-6000 rpm, it was no faster than my Integra now (Car magazines say the S2000 only puts out 150hp of its 240 when vtec is not engaged). And once vtec did kick in, the S2000 roars to life, but then its over in 2000rpm cuz the new redline is lower.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
capntoll said:
(Car magazines say the S2000 only puts out 150hp of its 240 when vtec is not engaged).
This is true, but misleading. Most cars make more hp at high rpm. hp = torque * RPM / 5252, it's that simple. It's not like VTEC "adds" 90hp on the S2000. It may well have continued on to make 210hp at that high of an rpm anyway with the lower cam lobe.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tegra90LS said:
Beating a 16 second car doesnt make you fast....
Wha? His car runs 15.7 in the 1/4 mile stock, and at our Gimli dragstrip he ran a 14.3 on Sat. aftn. It's a really quick car with that stage 1. He's got an intake, so its pushin 270 ft-lb to the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
capntoll said:
I was wondering that. Is ls/vtec worth all the headache with finding the block, having it installed, and isntalling the special kits for the oil etc? Also, when does VTEC kick in. I test drove the S2000 with my dad, and before VTEC kicked in at 5500-6000 rpm, it was no faster than my Integra now (Car magazines say the S2000 only puts out 150hp of its 240 when vtec is not engaged). And once vtec did kick in, the S2000 roars to life, but then its over in 2000rpm cuz the new redline is lower.
As Derrick already posted, its RPM related.

Just because a car is rated at 240HP doesn't mean it'll have 240hp anytime you want it. Thats why the HP is published with an RPM afterwards. Same goes for Torque. Keep in mind those are PEAK power limits.

That means the most power out of that engine at that particular rpm makes that much horsepower. Its just one point in the rpm range that it is capable of making that 240hp output.

If you ever say a dyno graph, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Keep in mind that the 2.2L s2000 has a much larger displacement engine as well as shorter gears in the transmission. Although VTEC kicks in at 6000rpm (I should know since I just drove an 05), it has a much better low end compared to the 2.0L version (which I also drove a few days before).

Trust me, the low end is much better in the larger engine. However VTEC is 1000rpm less. However you want to interpret that is up to you. Just keep in mind it still makes the same power.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
capntoll said:
Wha? His car runs 15.7 in the 1/4 mile stock, and at our Gimli dragstrip he ran a 14.3 on Sat. aftn. It's a really quick car with that stage 1. He's got an intake, so its pushin 270 ft-lb to the flywheel.
Then your definetly not pulling on him. LS's with your mods might get lucky and run a mid/high 15. Hes also got more than stage 1 if hes running 14.3. I took a stock PT turbo in my old LS integra that ran a 15.8 pretty easily.

As far as power mods pre turbo. Get a good exhaust and maybe even some headwork. Your going to want as much flow as you can get so you may be looking at losing some N/A horsepower if you want to start modding now for the turbo. A good pnp will help a turbo and N/A car also, especially an LS integra due to the low flow of the heads iwth stock cams (if you do really plan to keep stock cams for turbo).

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
capntoll said:
My car probably makes less than 100 whp below 3 grand. I also make over 300 WHP around 3.5 grand...

Powerbands differ in all cars but for the most part a 4 cylinder will be higher revving and make its power up top. Honda's are known to lack alot of torque so that doesnt help in the low rev's.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
tegra90LS said:
My car probably makes less than 100 whp below 3 grand. I also make over 300 WHP around 3.5 grand...
You have ~450lb/ft at the wheels at 3500rpm?? :eek

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
tegra90LS said:
I meant 4500 but I must have typed it wrong =P I dont even hit full boost at 3500 with this turbo ><
Oh yeah, forgot you have a WRX also. I've had the sigs turned off for months for work reasons... ;) Nice work, btw. Your tranny is still holding up?!! :p

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
White98LS said:
Oh yeah, forgot you have a WRX also. I've had the sigs turned off for months for work reasons... ;) Nice work, btw. Your tranny is still holding up?!! :p

My clutch is gone after a good 20k miles on 300+ whp.

I get a new one next weekend but still on the stock tranny gears and it still shifts very smooth. People just blame their tranny failure on a weak tranny...99% of the time its mistreatment.

Im currently running wastegate boost till I get the new clutch, still pulls hard with this turbo but I cant wait to turn it back up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.