·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://gear.ign.com/articles/700/700258p1.html

Sony Slips PS3 Price
French VP drops the big news.
by Gerry Block
April 5, 2006 - The word is out. Yesterday, Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe George Fornay let the PS3's European price slip. According to Fornay, the PS3 will cost between 499 and 599 euros. That translates to between $613 and $736 for us in the States.

Sony has been saying that the PS3 will be expensive for months now, and Fornay followed up his blunder by insisting that these price points are a quality deal for a Blu-ray player. Nevertheless, all previous attempts at selling videogame consoles at this price point have been rather dramatic failures, even when the systems incorporated 'new' multimedia features.

There may be some hope for lower price points in America. The European market generally gets screwed in consumer electronics, like the $299 iPod selling in Europe for 299…euros. That's a huge difference. Will we see the PS3 launch in the States at $499? Let's hope so, or else we'll be looking at the 360 to carry the industry for the next 5 years.

Sony has recently stated that Fornay was making completely personal statements and speculation, and that the announcement is in no way official. On the other hand, they said the very same thing after Sir Howard Stringer, President of Sony, let slip to Variety, of all places, that the PS3 would be delayed until this fall. It would seem that Sony executives need a refresher course in minding their tongues when speaking to the press.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
210rida said:
thats bullshit, in a way i can't seem to justify spending that much on a next-gen consol but then again 500-700ish for a blu-ray player + gaming + ect is a steal.... but still...
I think 500(499.99) really should be the max on the ps3 price. even at that price point, there's going to be a LOT of people who arent going to be able to afford it. Sure, Sony has to make up for the BluRay development costs and whatever but how will they make up for it if they cant move PS3's off store shelves?
Sony is just going to have to take some hard losses at first to built a good size market for the ps3. They'll have to make up that money in software sales, peripheral sales and online subscriptions. I just hope the games are priced the same or less(i'll keep dreaming) than the xbox360 software.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
LevelSevenCivic said:
I think 500(499.99) really should be the max on the ps3 price. even at that price point, there's going to be a LOT of people who arent going to be able to afford it. Sure, Sony has to make up for the BluRay development costs and whatever but how will they make up for it if they cant move PS3's off store shelves?
Sony is just going to have to take some hard losses at first to built a good size market for the ps3. They'll have to make up that money in software sales, peripheral sales and online subscriptions. I just hope the games are priced the same or less(i'll keep dreaming) than the xbox360 software.
wats a blue ray player?

·
Registered
985 Posts
is 100 bucks going to stop someone from buying it if they are already planning on spending 500 on it to begin with? in the grand scheme of things, 100 bucks or so really isnt going to break anyone that is going to buy it anyways...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
bleh.

I have never been impressed with consoles. The graphics have always been shit compared to a decent computer, and you can upgrade the computer.

I mean consoles are just starting to brag that they run in HDTV resolutions? lol computers have been doing that for over a decade.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Acman1 said:
is 100 bucks going to stop someone from buying it if they are already planning on spending 500 on it to begin with? in the grand scheme of things, 100 bucks or so really isnt going to break anyone that is going to buy it anyways...
its kinda like us all saying we wont see fast and furious 3 :lmao

its something old fans with do regardless

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
that better be a like some premium bundle. i will still buy it when it first come out but only to sell it to some idiot who wants to pay twice as much. i honestly don't care about blu-ray(probably not for a year or so until it becomes mainstream). if anyone really gonna spend $500-700 + $60/per game then more power to them. the only system i'm exicited about is the revolution. other than the graphics on the ps3, the game play will probably be the same so there's really nothing to be excited about.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
210rida said:
thats bullshit, in a way i can't seem to justify spending that much on a next-gen consol but then again 500-700ish for a blu-ray player + gaming + ect is a steal.... but still...
Sony is really caught between a rock and a hard place with the PS3 becuase of the Blu-Ray.

1)Think of it this way, the PS3 blu-ray player will be a low grade version or the PS3 will be expensive. Sony will sell PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, then again their Consumer electronics division and partners is also selling a blu-ray player for $800-$1000k. If the PS3 is cheaper, say $200-$300, then why would people want a stand alone blu-ray player if the price more and same quality.

2)if sony PS3 does succeed as a blu-ray player, meaning less gamers and more video watchers. where does sony recope the money for selling the PS3 at a loss.

3)lets say Sony is only losing $300 each PS3 and they sell 1,000,000 first 6 months. $1,000,000 X $300 = $300,000,000 USD. with low game attachment rate to each PS3, it would mean Sony will lose alot.

4)if PS3 is over $450 and Xbox360 drops price, bye bye PS3 as game machine.

the leap between DVD and Blu-ray is not like VHS to DVD. Sony is screwed.
:bash

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
LevelSevenCivic said:
there no need to worry abotu them selling....people were complaining abotu 360 prices and we all know how demanded those were

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
divinewisdom said:
Sony is really caught between a rock and a hard place with the PS3 becuase of the Blu-Ray.

1)Think of it this way, the PS3 blu-ray player will be a low grade version or the PS3 will be expensive. Sony will sell PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, then again their Consumer electronics division and partners is also selling a blu-ray player for $800-$1000k. If the PS3 is cheaper, say $200-$300, then why would people want a stand alone blu-ray player if the price more and same quality.

2)if sony PS3 does succeed as a blu-ray player, meaning less gamers and more video watchers. where does sony recope the money for selling the PS3 at a loss.

3)lets say Sony is only losing $300 each PS3 and they sell 1,000,000 first 6 months. $1,000,000 X $300 = $300,000,000 USD. with low game attachment rate to each PS3, it would mean Sony will lose alot.

:bash
Once again I am forced to interject on your largely one sided pessimistic attitude and lack of industry knowledge.

Most consumer's aren't even going to be searching for a Blu-Ray player at that price yet, and even then, all of the players at the moment that are $1000 are almost ALL recorders as well. Hence, the price difference. I'm not even sure if anyone has released a standalone player that is not also a recorder.

No consumer is going to buy it as a standalone BD-ROM player first of all. Second, Sony is going to MAKE money on EACH AND EVERY MOVIE sold. So they make profit off of the movie, the Blu-Ray royalties, AND videogames. I'm sure that they aren't going to have a problem either way it goes.

This is possibly the only true statement you made, that Sony will lose some money, but in the ultimate scheme of things, coining the success of Blu-Ray, they will make a lot of profit from royalties etc, as stated above. Do you think Toshiba isn't making money off DVD? They are making BANK, which is there only reason for pushing HD-DVD, it still grants them royalties based off of DVD patents.

360 won't drop in price, because PS3 is already goign to be more expensive, and MS is going to want to keep their losses at a minimum, and if they have no reason to drop the price (beacuse they are already cheaper than the competition) then they won't.

It very much is. A consumer will be able to tell the difference between DVD resolution (480p on almost every DVD) and Blu-Ray Resolutions (MINIMUM of 720p, and probably a good amount of titles that could possibly be 1080p in the future).

Best Buy Sales Clerk > You. He'll push that shit to high heaven, sell him a HDTV and Blu-Ray player. Do you really think the mass market is out there doing a shit load of research etc? A Best Buy nerd is going to play that shit up and sell it, bigger sales = good news for him. Seriously man.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Every new system that has come out has started out saying it will cost a more than it acctually will. first estamate on the 360 was 600 bucks.

and Sony will have no problem selling out no matter what the price is. They could make it 900 bucks and they will still sell out. Becuase there will always be the people who to buy the newest and most expesive stuff just becuase they can.

I'm going to buy 2 and ebay one like I did with the PS2. That way you pretty much get one for free.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BLAH!!!!!!!!!! All I know is that I really really really really hope the PS3 is going to be priced competitively against the Xbox360. 500 max... please!?!?!?!? I'm getting too poor for videogames!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/700/700432p1.html

Sony Clarifies PS3 Pricing Comments
Ccompany claims that executive's comments were "misunderstood."
by Wade Steel
April 6, 2006 - Sony stated today that comments regarding the price of the PlayStation 3 made by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) executive Georges Fornay on French radio were "misinterpreted", according to a report at gamesindustry.biz.

Nick Sharples, SCEE corporate communications director, told the industry website that the notion that Fornay's mention of a price range of €499 to €599 for the next-generation console was a "mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Blu-ray Disc player."

According to Sharples, the pricing discussion on French radio station Europe 1 was intended to focus on the fact that the PlayStation 3 would be priced "very competitively" when compared to other products that would use the Blu-ray optical technology if it were to be priced at €500, but that this price point would put it "well above the range of other game console products."

Sharples claimed that Fornay was explaining that with both Blu-ray and high-definition functionality, the PS3 would be "cheap" relative to other products that have these features but more expensive when compared to other "current" game consoles which retail at "far below €500."

Sharples stated that any reports that suggest Fornway was providing a specific price point or price range for the PS3 were completely "incorrect."

Editor's Note: In yesterday's story that ran here on IGN, we posted a direct translation of Fornway's statement that was verified by multiple French-speaking translators. We encourage you to check the article out (linked below) and draw your own conclusions.
The link that the last paragraph talks about is in the first post of this thread.

Discuss...

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
tha_con said:
Once again I am forced to interject on your largely one sided pessimistic attitude and lack of industry knowledge.
i was waiting for you.

tha_con said:
Most consumer's aren't even going to be searching for a Blu-Ray player at that price yet, and even then, all of the players at the moment that are $1000 are almost ALL recorders as well. Hence, the price difference. I'm not even sure if anyone has released a standalone player that is not also a recorder.
Sony is hyping the Ps3 as a blu-ray player, and hopes that everyone will buy the PS3 as a blu-ray player, but forgot about the Sony consumer electronic div.
the problem still lies in the Sony vs Sony. Canabilism.
Sony eating at their own sales. :lol2

tha_con said:
No consumer is going to buy it as a standalone BD-ROM player first of all. Second, Sony is going to MAKE money on EACH AND EVERY MOVIE sold. So they make profit off of the movie, the Blu-Ray royalties, AND videogames. I'm sure that they aren't going to have a problem either way it goes.
most people will buy whats cheap out there. if sony PS3 is the cheapest Blu-ray player they will buy it, even if they dont want to play games on it. if the PS3 is priced at $450 and the other Blu-ray player is priced at $700-$1000, then people can easily use the PS3 as a standlone player without playing games. assuming that sony makes the quality of the PS3 Blu-ray drive the same as their Consumer Electronic offering.

you think sony wont have problems think again. just look at UMD. your going to say yea but blu-ray is different, I am going to say mini-disk and everything else was different as well. Sure sony can make tons of money off Blu-ray if it is accepted by comsumers. ultimately its the consumer that will accept or reject whats on the market.

tha_con said:
This is possibly the only true statement you made, that Sony will lose some money, but in the ultimate scheme of things, coining the success of Blu-Ray, they will make a lot of profit from royalties etc, as stated above. Do you think Toshiba isn't making money off DVD? They are making BANK, which is there only reason for pushing HD-DVD, it still grants them royalties based off of DVD patents.
my question is how long can Sony sustain the loss? $300,000,000 first 6 months and Blu-ray movies isnt going to make profit from licensing in any immediate future. the more people buy the PS3 as blu-ray player the higher the loss and compounded by the cannabilization of sales from the Sony consumer elsectronic division. they are losing from two ends, not just one.

tha_con said:
360 won't drop in price, because PS3 is already goign to be more expensive, and MS is going to want to keep their losses at a minimum, and if they have no reason to drop the price (beacuse they are already cheaper than the competition) then they won't.
:lol2
you sure bill gates doesnt want to wave the birdie to Sony?

tha_con said:
It very much is. A consumer will be able to tell the difference between DVD resolution (480p on almost every DVD) and Blu-Ray Resolutions (MINIMUM of 720p, and probably a good amount of titles that could possibly be 1080p in the future).
:sleep
Lets see going from analog VHS to digital DVD or going from 480p to 720p hmm......which one is the bigger leap? dont kid yourself. Consumer arent going to jump on the blu-ray or HD DVD as fast as when people switched from VHS to DVD. becuase people know that the difference isnt much and they can wait. plus they know that inorder to watch anything at 1080p theyd have to get a TV that supports it.

tha_con said:
Best Buy Sales Clerk > You. He'll push that shit to high heaven, sell him a HDTV and Blu-Ray player. Do you really think the mass market is out there doing a shit load of research etc? A Best Buy nerd is going to play that shit up and sell it, bigger sales = good news for him. Seriously man.
what makes you think the best buy clerk is backing soley blu-ray? :lol2
just on the ease of name alone HD-DVD will win. people will buy what they know and recognize. not to mention the ease of use and portability from one machine to another.

my opinion. Sony will lose alot of market share in the PS3 becuase they added too much stuff that consumers will not want or need right away and jacking up the price.

·
Premium Member
15,402 Posts
i just want to play great games on a better performing system that can offer more game features that make them unique and fun to play.

thats all i want. gaming is going in the wrong direction with all these bells and whistles.

i doubt i'll be buying one when it drops, i cant afford it, gonna have to wait for price drop or something

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
5genlude said:
i just want to play great games on a better performing system that can offer more game features that make them unique and fun to play.

thats all i want. gaming is going in the wrong direction with all these bells and whistles.

i doubt i'll be buying one when it drops, i cant afford it, gonna have to wait for price drop or something

sounds like you want the revolution :)

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
divinewisdom - As much as I'd love to reply to all of those statements, you're just very hopeful sony will fail, and the result it your flawed logic and incorrect information.

I've already given you reasons (multiple times) why this media war was not like Beta-Max, and eventually you quit bringing it up.

Then I gave you reasons why this is absolutely nothing like UMD and Mini-Disc, yet you keep bringing that up, as if it's your last thread of hope in backing your arguement.

Here's facts:

1) Blu-Ray is a backwards compatible format, it plays DVD, CD, and Blu-Ray. Which leads me to question your post about HD-DVD having "ease of use and portability" which is just rediculous and biased, full of misdirection.

2) Blu-Ray offers something new to consumers, where as Mini-Disc and UMD did not. Portable CD players, walkmans, etc, were already around when mini-disc popped up, it was competing in an already exsisting market for headspace. Then there's UMD, which you say is a "failure". The format was greated for PSP for games first, but the PSP is also capable of playing movies, in MP4 format. Sony used UMD to soften the blow taken from hardware losses, which is a smart move, because people ate it up. Now that software is available, people buy fewer movies, but they still buy them, but just as much, the shipment of movies on UMD slows down. It's in no way a "failure". The format isn't going to go away as long as PSP is around, so that point is also null and void.

3) Why do you think a consumer buy's an HDTV? Surely not because of their price tag. They want HD movies, TV, and what not. The average consumer who buy's an HDTV is "well off" so to speak. Why would they want to buy this for maybe 10-15 HD channels? Because HD channels won't become widespread for another year and a half or so. Now, consider the consumer looking at a Blu-Ray player, and an HD-DVD player. Blu-Ray is going to win in the features department, both are going to be similarly priced, and Blu-Ray movies are going to have more content at higher quality. DVD's selling point, more than anything else, was it's ability to produce surround sound, and offering extras to the consumer. Blu-Ray has the ability to offer these extras in High Def, but HD-DVD will struggle because of size limitations. I can already see extra features being significantly lower quality than the main feature etc.

4) Sony will not be eating at their own sales. As much as you'd like to think so, in your flawed wonderful vision of the world, a consumer isn't going to buy a PS3 just for the blu-ray player and not for the movies. Hell they probably won't even go into that section. You know why? If a consumer is looking for a high-def movie player, it's in a completely different section than PS3 will be. He'll be looking in electronics, not in the video games section.The consumer is going to buy what he see's as better, but if he doesn't know that PS3 can play Blu-Ray movies, he probably isn't into video games at all, and probably won't buy one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.