Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys. Recently my engine has been producing a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. It's white, and it's pretty much there when I start my car, rev and sometimes shift. I'm thinking it might be the piston rings. Oh yeah, if anybody can help me out with this...you know the little maintenance required light in the gauge cluster? :confused: Ok..mine's red, but not lit up. I always thought it was green, I don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There should be a little hole in your dash near the speedometer where you can insert your key and make the light green again. It turns red every 7k miles to remind you to have your Honda serviced.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Evolution_Tuned i could get you a set of 99-00 si coupe rims with rubber for around 500 bucks not including shipping, if your interested pm me, i'm going to pm you anyway with this info later on tonight.

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
Evolution_Tuned said:
There should be a little hole in your dash near the speedometer where you can insert your key and make the light green again. It turns red every 7k miles to remind you to have your Honda serviced.
when they say serviced, do they want you to return the car to a honda dealership or what? i never really understood what that means.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you need new rings there like 50-100 bucks. You'll have to drope the oil pan and tke the head off to replace them. Thy're probily the culpret. But I cant remember if oil burning is white or black, damnt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
white if it is oil burning as i remenber!

white if it is oil burning as i remenber!
Don't burn me if i am wrong!:cool:

·
Registered
714 Posts
White smoke usually indicates antifreeze burning. Otherwise known as a blown headgasket. Oil smoke is bluish-purple and gas smoke is black.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok..

ok so when i start my car its kind of a thick white smog...so thats the blown headgasket. and when i shift when i race it's a darker smoke...thus indicating blown rings. damn. Thats it isnt it. How much do you think the whole thing will cost to fix?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, and tips on how to install these things would be a great help...instructions actually, not tips. Thanks. I just don't want to bring my car to the shop and have them charge me like 150 extra bucks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well.....The headgasket (if blown) will cost you about $40 if you put it on yourself. A shop will probably charge you about $350 to put the headgasket in. Make sure that the water and oil are not mixing in the oil pan by looking at the dipstick or drain the oil. If there is a white milky substance you will most likely need to rebuild the whole motor because antifreeze likes to eat the protective covering off of the main and rod bearings. A re-ring kit will cost you about $150-$200. Check your valve seals too, they might be leaking. If it doesnt smoke a lot then they are probably the problem.

As for the tips my best one would be to get a service manual that goes to your car and the one that goes to your B18. All of the procedures i listed above will be covered in the manuals and will be explained very well. It will also have a troubleshooting section that will help you diagnose the problem a lot better.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
my advice: get a helm's, you won't regret it

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anybody know if anybody makes an aftermarket head gasket, like a performance one, and I know that mr. gasket makes one, is that better than the stock or is there something that will be a little better than that even. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
kikadiki said:
how long will the new rings take to seat? will he be blowing smoke until that time?
new rings usually take around 500 miles

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you got a blown head gasket.. and rings

Dude, if you got a blown head gasket... check and make sure that it didnt effect your block at the blown spot... meaning.. if your head gasket is cracked, between the #2 and 3 piston.. make sure there is no low spot on the block between those cylinders.. if you dont and there is a low spot then you will have done all that work for nada... I know that pulling all that crap out of the motor to replace rings is a biotch... especially if you dont have a lift.. so be ready for a good 1 or 2 day job.... Also, since you are gonna have to drop your oil pan, might as well replace the oil pan gasket... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
sonictronic said:
White smoke usually indicates antifreeze burning. Otherwise known as a blown headgasket. Oil smoke is bluish-purple and gas smoke is black.
Yeah white = antifreeze
Black = Oil

Look for any leaking along the head gasket. Are you running FI or n20? if so you may have warped your head completely. Watch for overheating, and get it fixed asap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts