Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys a quik questions. I was looking to upgrade my rotors and calipers on my 01 prelude. Just got some nice rims and i want to see something of quality behind the rims. What do most people upgrade too. I have no idea about brakes. all i know is baer brakes are good. But whats out there for my car. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
there's a good read, look at the thread titled "i need brakes"

basically if you don't want to spend more than 800 bux, then don't worry about it. just get some nice pads.

you want a big brake kit that actually works? fastbrakes (uses willwood calipers) , stoptech would be my recommendations

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like you have a 5th gen Prelude from your user name. If so you have some pretty nice brakes already. 11.2" rotors, largest single piston calipers out there. I drive a Accord and I'm converting to a 5th gen prelude setup, just to show you how nice your current setup is.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
you won't get better than stock if you upgrade all the stock components. Get dot 4 fluid, some race pads, and some high quality blank rotors.

There isn't many set ups that can beat this in race trim.......bigger upgrade rotor kits throw the brake balance off...and when you come barreling down at 130-140MPH and slow down to hit a corner at 90-100MPH.....you will be shitting your pants with a big brake kit....the uneven brake forces F to R of the car will make it feel like the front is doing all the work....your rear end will "wiggle" on you back and fourth searcing for a direction to spin you in....since the rear brakes are being used less. Therefore you total braking force on all four tires is being utilized less. The only reason big brake kits "feel" like they are working better is they get to peak braking torque quicker....because per the same braking force...they apply more braking torque (further from the center of the wheel T = Force X distance). Big brake kits also add rotational mass....slowing the car down in the straights.

I run stock everything but dot 4 brake fluid and Hawk HP+ brake pads....definitely not the best out there....but great for running canyon roads.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
lOOkatme said:
you won't get better than stock if you upgrade all the stock components. Get dot 4 fluid, some race pads, and some high quality blank rotors.

There isn't many set ups that can beat this in race trim.......bigger upgrade rotor kits throw the brake balance off...and when you come barreling down at 130-140MPH and slow down to hit a corner at 90-100MPH.....you will be shitting your pants with a big brake kit....the uneven brake forces F to R of the car will make it feel like the front is doing all the work....your rear end will "wiggle" on you back and fourth searcing for a direction to spin you in....since the rear brakes are being used less. Therefore you total braking force on all four tires is being utilized less. The only reason big brake kits "feel" like they are working better is they get to peak braking torque quicker....because per the same braking force...they apply more braking torque (further from the center of the wheel T = Force X distance). Big brake kits also add rotational mass....slowing the car down in the straights.

I run stock everything but dot 4 brake fluid and Hawk HP+ brake pads....definitely not the best out there....but great for running canyon roads.
:stupid

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I hear good things about the Brembo enlargement dual piston calipers with bracket and rotors. They bolt like stock not an extension, but of course they cost around $1,300 :eek:

I honestly beleive that as long as the calipers bolt on the OEM position there shouldn't be a problem. Brembo are larger and almost the same weight as stock. As far as going 110 mph and feeling the car out of spec just for Good Larger Brembo brake kit... I don't see this happening. Of course, if you get that eBay shit or AEM extension bracket it will happen.... they don't seem to be installed where they are supposed to.

NSX calipers are a good upgrade and cheap as well. ;)

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
I hear good things about the Brembo enlargement dual piston calipers with bracket and rotors. They bolt like stock not an extension, but of course they cost around $1,300 :eek:

I honestly beleive that as long as the calipers bolt on the OEM position there shouldn't be a problem. Brembo are larger and almost the same weight as stock. As far as going 110 mph and feeling the car out of spec just for Good Larger Brembo brake kit... I don't see this happening. Of course, if you get that eBay shit or AEM extension bracket it will happen.... they don't seem to be installed where they are supposed to.

NSX calipers are a good upgrade and cheap as well. ;)

All big brake kits (front only) will feel this way. I had Baer Big brake Kit at one point....and it was scary braking at high speed.

I would stick with stock....and get some 15" wheels with race tires. the brake pads will make the whole difference......and ultimetly eliminate all the fade.

NSX calipers would put you in the same predicament....throwing the brake bias off.

Is anyone else here an engineer besides me?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
lOOkatme said:
All big brake kits (front only) will feel this way. I had Baer Big brake Kit at one point....and it was scary braking at high speed.

I would stick with stock....and get some 15" wheels with race tires. the brake pads will make the whole difference......and ultimetly eliminate all the fade.

NSX calipers would put you in the same predicament....throwing the brake bias off.

Is anyone else here an engineer besides me?
Well, now that you mention it I have a Bachelor's in Science in Mechanical Engineering as well as an Associate Degree in Aerospace Maintenance & Turbomachinery. So what is your concentration? :D

***edit***
What you mention is true only if you actually upgrade your front brakes... you will feel an uneven force applied with no resultant steer. Nevertheless, this isn't what I was referring to... I have been speaking of the Brembo all around big brake kit which the total brake force exerted will be delivered evenly on all four calipers.

Of course if you only upgrade the front or just the rear you will feel an uneven difference because not only the caliper are different but the amount of hydraulic pressure applied which will eventually be larger where there is less resistance (meaning big upgrade brake kit). But if the pressure is equally applied and brake kits are in stock position and no extension brakets... there shouldn't be any reason for this happening.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
Well, now that you mention it I have a Bachelor's in Science in Mechanical Engineering as well as an Associate Degree in Aerospace Maintenance & Turbomachinery. So what is your concentration? :D

***edit***
What you mention is true only if you actually upgrade your front brakes... you will feel an uneven force applied with no resultant steer. Nevertheless, this isn't what I was referring to... I have been speaking of the Brembo all around big brake kit which the total brake force exerted will be delivered evenly on all four calipers.

Of course if you only upgrade the front or just the rear you will feel an uneven difference because not only the caliper are different but the amount of hydraulic pressure applied which will eventually be larger where there is less resistance (meaning big upgrade brake kit). But if the pressure is equally applied and brake kits are in stock position and no extension brakets... there shouldn't be any reason for this happening.

Your recommending a multi-thousand dollar option for a braking system on a prelude???

I dunno man......Why not just save your money and buy a RX7...which has more power, better brakes, better handling stock than most modified preludes do??

also, you will run brackets on any big brake kit...because the calipers need to be pushed out with such large rotors.....brembo's I bet are running brackets....but they probably keep the stock brake bias % the same as stock.

I suggest keeping everything stock and upgrading all four brake pads.....and run dot 4 fluid. It takes a lot of abuse to get fade with good brake pads.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
first off .. 'race pads' are pads that work effectively at high temperature that you wont be reaching on the street. They also typically make noise b/c they use harder compounds..

A good street setup would start with something like ..

- Dot 4 Brake fluide
- Goodridge brake lines

- Brembo front drilled/slotted rotors (i preffer drilled .. lighter)
- Brembo front pads

- Brembo rear drilled/slotted rotors (i preffer drileld .. lighter)
- Brembo rear pads

.. if you want to set it up a knotch you can get a big brake kit from one of several name brand companies, but id preffer Endless or Brembo.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
TOP END MS said:
first off .. 'race pads' are pads that work effectively at high temperature that you wont be reaching on the street. They also typically make noise b/c they use harder compounds..

A good street setup would start with something like ..

- Dot 4 Brake fluide
- Goodridge brake lines

- Brembo front drilled/slotted rotors (i preffer drilled .. lighter)
- Brembo front pads

- Brembo rear drilled/slotted rotors (i preffer drileld .. lighter)
- Brembo rear pads

.. if you want to set it up a knotch you can get a big brake kit from one of several name brand companies, but id preffer Endless or Brembo.
i wouldnt get the drilled...but the slotted would be ok.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I like the drilled b/c there lighter. It does weaken the structure some, but Brembo uses higher quality metals than the blanks and I dont think you would see any signs of cracking on a street bred Accord. That wont happen unless you slam on a serious brake kit at speeds of over 100mph continuously .. or settle with inferrior brand. drilled i beleive cools the rotor faster, but can hold less heat. Blanks can hold less heat but is harder to get rid of..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.