Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here - have been floating around months though. Got a JDM VXi a few weeks back (1.5 SOHC VTEC see below) which is a bit underpowered - 128BHP. Am going ahead with a few upgrades and wanted to see what you guys would recommend -

I can supercharge/turbocharge the engine, which given the lack of decent tuning shops over here in Ireland might mean I run into trouble, or I can go ahead with an engine swap - I got offered a B16a as well as a B18c engine today for reasonable cash. Since the two engines are about the same price, I'd prefer to go with the B18c - question though - am I going to run into problems with space - the engine bay is cramped as it is - I also don't want to lose my A/C... and given the choice, would you go for the turbo'd 1.5 or the engine swap??

Cheers...

Ken

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
i would swap the b18 in there......it would make about the same power as a "reasonable" turbo system, and this motor can also be turboed later.............

greddy makes kits for the d15/16 aswell as kits for the B series
these are bolt on kits, your car will not have to be tuned

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe...

have two bmw's as well so I think I feel the lack of power much more than when I had my JDM Civic VTi - which had the same engine!

Looks like it'll be the engine swap route by the way, cheers guy...

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can turbo your SOHC for about half the money of a swap and have about the same power after. However, thats about the limit your going to reach with the SOHC if you want to be able to rely on it as an efficient daily driver.

Doing a swap will be more expensive but will yield more room for even higher gains w/o sacrificing too much driveability.

If you want speed and are on a budget, go turbo. If mom and dad's trust fund just opened to you, go with the swap and the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No trust fund unfortunately!! :D All hard earned - over here though, theres heaps of JDM engines available, and they're relatively cheap - about $600 - $800 will get me a good condition B18c, could land me with a full Type R engine if I'm lucky too.

And the turbo option actually costs a bit more over here, so the overall cost isn't really the problem.. just don't want to go ahead with an engine swap, and then realise the turbo would be more fun! The car is a daily driver too though, so reliability is definitely an issue

·
Registered
232 Posts
jspeed said:
No trust fund unfortunately!! :D All hard earned - over here though, theres heaps of JDM engines available, and they're relatively cheap - about $600 - $800 will get me a good condition B18c, could land me with a full Type R engine if I'm lucky too.

And the turbo option actually costs a bit more over here, so the overall cost isn't really the problem.. just don't want to go ahead with an engine swap, and then realise the turbo would be more fun! The car is a daily driver too though, so reliability is definitely an issue
crap...that is cheap. dooooo itttttt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
jspeed said:
[B theres heaps of JDM engines available, and they're relatively cheap - about $600 - $800 will get me a good condition B18c, could land me with a full Type R engine if I'm lucky too.

[/B]
+

so how much would it be to ship one over here to the us, well probalbly more than the engine since its a long way U R Preety luck getting all the good engines, also if i was u i would just stick a type r and that should be preety quick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
afaik one of the main engine suppliers over in the states takes all their engines from Ireland - will try and find out the name.

Just saw an EK Civic Type R being broken a few miles away from me, so am going to ivestigate if the engine is still available... that'd be a fun swap!

·
Registered
354 Posts
swap the b18c or b16b. as far as room....no problems. you can keep everything you have now. but you'll need to get the del sol vtec shift linkage...or i guess it's the sir over there....whichever one had the b16 from the factory...you'll need that no matter what

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are a few Del Sols floating around alright being scrapped for parts - its the Civics/Integras/Preludes that there are a proliferation of.

A friend has an Integra in his garage, B16A, that he was actually given for parts - all he has to give back is the chassis for destruction.

Alot of the JDM cars were bought by people whose driving skills were best described as dodgy - so parts are always floating around

for example - this is for a whole car

Honda Civic 1.6 V Tec SIR '92. E/w, e/m, p/s, alloys, vgc, Price: €900 Contact: 087-287xxxx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.