Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is my first post here...I've been looking for a good civic forum, and I think I've finally found it here. There seems to be knowledgable and experienced people around here, and I definately look forward to getting to know everyone better. All that to say...I've got 2 things I want to get done to the 99 DX, and would love some advice....

1) The exhaust pipe rusted out just before the resonator. I was thinking of just upgrading to a performance exhaust, probably a cat-back system. I don't want anything that's really loud, but has a nice low rumble to it. I've read that for what I want, the Greddy World Sport 2 is the muffler for me. The problem is that it's $400 and I want to do the Integra engine swap sometime in the next year and a half. From what I've found, it looks like i would have to get a new exhaust when I put the Integra engine in. All of that to say, what should I do about the exhaust system? Since the muffler itself is still good, should I just head up to the local muffler shop, and have them cut off the resonator and weld everything back together, dealing with the craptacular exhaust until i put the Integra engine in it? or is there a lower cost cat-back exhaust system that I could get for the next year and a half?

2) It is window tinting time. I'm wondering what will look the best with my black 2DR? Also, is there anyone in the SE michigan area who could recommend a good place to go? I was thinking 35% in rear, and 50% on the drivers and passenger windows. Does anyone have any good pictures and tint % in their collection that I could compare?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you want to get the GReddy WS2 cat-back now I would because you would be able to swap that Teg motor in, and the catback would still work. Just might need to mess with the length of the pre-cat pipe, shortening/lengthening would even be that much by your local muffler shop when you do get your swap. Just a cut and a weld really if its too long or too short.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
any decent shop will be able to make the exhaust work as for window tint 35% is legal on the sides here and as dark as you want in the rear... thats what i would go with.. but i also have 5% all the way around right now. seems like the older i get, the harder it is to see out the windows :mad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BurntRubber87 said:
If you want to get the GReddy WS2 cat-back now I would because you would be able to swap that Teg motor in, and the catback would still work. Just might need to mess with the length of the pre-cat pipe, shortening/lengthening would even be that much by your local muffler shop when you do get your swap. Just a cut and a weld really if its too long or too short.
Do you have any different suggestions for a replacement exhaust system? Maybe one that would sound just as good, but was a bit cheaper? I don't want to be called out as a ricer, but i want to start stepping up the look and performance of the car. The consensus seems to be around here to do minimal cosmetic upgrades, and massive performance upgrades.

IISaiNtII said:
any decent shop will be able to make the exhaust work as for window tint 35% is legal on the sides here and as dark as you want in the rear... thats what i would go with.. but i also have 5% all the way around right now. seems like the older i get, the harder it is to see out the windows
:mad
Legally around here, I can't tint the front at all, so I was thinking that 50% would be light enough to not get me busted too quickly. You like the look of the 5% all around though 'eh? I was thinking that because the car was black, i wouldn't need to go 5% to look slick. I just don't want to over do anything, really.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i like the way the 5% look, but it is waaay to dark for me now (had it done ~4 years ago) when i had it done, front tint wasn't legal in my state without a permit, but i never had any problems with getting pulled over or harassed about it...

50/35 would be a decent match, but it will still look tinted... i think that 98-2000 mitsu montero's back glass is tinted around 50% just for comparisons sake

as far as the exhaust system goes, check out the parts review forum, lotsa good review in there. basically the sound will be from the muffler, get a good muffler, and custom pipes are my .02

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You have a very good grasp of what you need to do. I liked it when you notice the consensus is to do little exterior mods and more performance oriented modifications. Let me warn you about the greddy SP2 exhaust - greddy is notorious for breaking welds on the muffler. I would go with an Apex'i World Sport 2 or a RS*R EX Mag exhaust.

As for looks - there is nothing nicer than a clean front lip, painted sides, and a rear lip. That way you dont have to worry about being too low or possibly tearing things off unless you get a low drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually noticed that I mistyped the muffler I was looking at...it was the Apex'i world sport...i was looking at the GReddy SP2 as well. I am glad to hear about the problems GReddy has. Have you heard the World Sport or the RS*R EX Mag exhausts before?

Also, what % tint do you have on your windows?

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
davesacre said:
Well, this is my first post here...I've been looking for a good civic forum, and I think I've finally found it here. There seems to be knowledgable and experienced people around here, and I definately look forward to getting to know everyone better. All that to say...I've got 2 things I want to get done to the 99 DX, and would love some advice....

1) The exhaust pipe rusted out just before the resonator. I was thinking of just upgrading to a performance exhaust, probably a cat-back system. I don't want anything that's really loud, but has a nice low rumble to it. I've read that for what I want, the Greddy World Sport 2 is the muffler for me. The problem is that it's $400 and I want to do the Integra engine swap sometime in the next year and a half. From what I've found, it looks like i would have to get a new exhaust when I put the Integra engine in. All of that to say, what should I do about the exhaust system? Since the muffler itself is still good, should I just head up to the local muffler shop, and have them cut off the resonator and weld everything back together, dealing with the craptacular exhaust until i put the Integra engine in it? or is there a lower cost cat-back exhaust system that I could get for the next year and a half?

2) It is window tinting time. I'm wondering what will look the best with my black 2DR? Also, is there anyone in the SE michigan area who could recommend a good place to go? I was thinking 35% in rear, and 50% on the drivers and passenger windows. Does anyone have any good pictures and tint % in their collection that I could compare?

Thanks!
listen to da "C" he got got a good clue wat he talkin bout. i second wat he said.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i've never had a problem with the 2 greddy sp exhausts that were on my 97 civic, besides crushing the pipe between the muffler and mid-pipe. plus i have never heard of the welds cracking before. but i will watch for it.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
CFactor said:
As for looks - there is nothing nicer than a clean front lip, painted sides, and a rear lip. That way you dont have to worry about being too low or possibly tearing things off unless you get a low drop.
Not to go off topic or anything, but for the sake of not creating a new thread, I was also thinking about going the lip route for my exterior styling. I really like how it looks in your sig. And its alot cheaper. My question is, where did you get your lips from? There is alot of different online stores, so im just looking for customer feedback.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
personally, i would check out ebay... have a more *factual* customer feedback than an online store. just get a high-volume seller with a high percentage positive rate (~95%or+) you should be ok, but definitly read the negative feedback comments if they have any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts