Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! long time no speak :) i've not had net access for a while, and wont have frequent access. long story! :(

there's also been some delays on my turbocharging job... :(

just wondering, what engine internals would be most important to upgrade soon and in what order? and which parts are not so crucial and can wait?

so far, they've upgraded my:

* piston rings - not sure which ones they used, but my stock ones couldnt take the boost
* pistons - forged pistons of lower compression
* all metal gaskets

would this be enough for the time being? just for daily driving, nothing serious.

would it be important to upgrade connecting rods (are my stock rods strong enough??), camshaft, rod bearing, crankshaft, anything else?

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you have already replaced yor pistons and rings, you should be fine for mild boost. When you turn up the pressure to say around 15-20 psi, then you will need a forged crank and stronger rods. Your cams should be fine regardless, since they will not be receiving the pain from the boost. (Unless one of your pistons blows through your head:) ) And since I am not too familiar with the H23, a block gaurd would be a good investment if it is a open deck block.

·
Registered
948 Posts
94SiSQSO-

Welcome back... heres what you need

If you run any more than 9 psi I'd get connecting rods.
- Get Crower... not golden eagle. The GE stuff is a little more expensive than the Crower stuff for the H23. I think it was like 30 bucks more- plus about a week longer to get them.

How low did you drop compression with your pistons? If it's less than 1 full point... I'd get a thinker head gasket.

You can bore out your piston sleeves... they are Nickle Cadinum (just like the new VTECS)... or you can get new sleeves. I cose to have it bored .20 over.

YOu don't need a block gaurd... honda blessed the H23 with a closed deck block.

I'd also get new head studs... APR does make them for the lude. But they are very hard to come by.

Don't worry about the crank... when I get the headwork finished or get a head package... the car will be running 26 psi at the track- stock crank.

For 8-15 psi... you need minor fuel stuff. My setup is good for 16 psi... with an inline fuel pump, Vortech FMU, and S-AFC.

Higher than that... you need new injectors (i like RC injectors) And an in-tank fuel pump.

Any Questions.... you can e-mail me. [email protected]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks heaps guys, i really appreciate your help :)

i would probably boost no more than 8psi daily at this stage.
so not getting forged rods at this stage is alright yes? have i got everything i need so far for best reliability?

i've got my fuel/engine management well covered... i have a full replacement standalone ECU (microtech), 600cc bosch injectors, bosch inline fuel pump, FPR, and maybe a surge tank. all tuned on a dyno.

TurboNOS, thanks for ya help again as usual,

i'll have to make sure with them, but compression now dropped to either 9:1 or 9.5:1.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TurboNOSlude said:
Anytime... glad I could help

AND I wanna see a dyno sheet here soon, and some picts of that setup! Anyway take it easy.

TurboNOSlude
:) sure thing... you'll be the first i email with the pics and dynos :)

hey they actually dropped the compression 1 point... so it's 8.8 now i guess since stock is 9.8. is that a little bit too low?? will daily driving be a bitch?? less low end?? damn.. i wish that had consulted me before getting those lower compression forged pistons for me... i woulda probably asked for 9.0 or 9.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts