Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the plot, I have a 96 Integra LS...I cant do a Ls/Vtec and Turbo is off in the horizon. It already has Headers/cold intake/catback exhaust/hotwires/ECU upgrade/Shortshifter...What else can I do to this car? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Suspension, cams/gears/fuel tuning, pistons/B20 block (B20 blocks are CHEAP and easy to swap in), wheels/tires, weight reduction, high-flow cat. Not in that order but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
White98LS said:
Suspension, cams/gears/fuel tuning, pistons/B20 block (B20 blocks are CHEAP and easy to swap in), wheels/tires, weight reduction, high-flow cat. Not in that order but you get the idea.
hey derek, wat is ur outlet size of ur header all the way to the outlet size of exhaust? I am wondering cuz i have DC sports header 4-1 which has the collector size of 2" bolting on with 2"->2.25" hi-flow cat to 2.36" exhaust. Will it give a small restriction if i do some cams/gear/s fuel tuning? I would love to do it, but i'm afraid that i might have to upgrade the diameter size thus having to replace the whole H/E/C system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
White98LS said:
What is a b20 block, and how does it differ from my current one? Also if do the b20 block I have to replace pistons as well? And I was looking at your sig, "Engine: Crower cams/gears, i/h/c/e, S-AFC, FPR, dyno-tuned 148whp, [email protected]" arnt LS's stock with 140hp? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
b20 block is off either the old Prelude Si, or off a newer CR-V suv. there are some other cars i think. it is 2.0 liters versus your 1.8 liter. more displacement means more power. and i think you wouldnt have to replace the pistons, but since you are going N/a, you might want to consider higher compression pistons.

and his car has 148whp from all the mods, you listed all his mods, can you see his motor is not stock?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
bloodyangel said:
What is a b20 block, and how does it differ from my current one? Also if do the b20 block I have to replace pistons as well? And I was looking at your sig, "Engine: Crower cams/gears, i/h/c/e, S-AFC, FPR, dyno-tuned 148whp, [email protected]" arnt LS's stock with 140hp? Thanks.
whp and wtq means power that actually gets to the wheels. that means his car is pushing about 168hp at the crank depending on how much loss there is through the drive train. power at the crank is rated, power to the wheels is actual. you lose power from crank to wheels because of the parts the motor has to move before the power actually gets to the ground. that means a stock LS motor is actually pushing anywhere from 120 to 130whp.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
95db8 said:
b20 block is off either the old Prelude Si, or off a newer CR-V suv. there are some other cars i think. it is 2.0 liters versus your 1.8 liter. more displacement means more power. and i think you wouldnt have to replace the pistons, but since you are going N/a, you might want to consider higher compression pistons.

and his car has 148whp from all the mods, you listed all his mods, can you see his motor is not stock?
the b20a blocks from the preludes will not work in anything other than a prelude. b20b/z blocks are from the crv.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
95db8 said:

Thanks for the help, and yes I know his car is not stock. But with all the mods I figured he'd have more than just 8hp. Thanks for explaining hp at the wheels and crank hp. Also if i upgrade it to a b20 engine, do i have to replace my intake, exhaust, and headers, and reflash ecu?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
bloodyangel said:
Thanks for the help, and yes I know his car is not stock. But with all the mods I figured he'd have more than just 8hp. Thanks for explaining hp at the wheels and crank hp. Also if i upgrade it to a b20 engine, do i have to replace my intake, exhaust, and headers, and reflash ecu?
he has about 28 more hp than stock.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
148whp is more like 180hp crank... A stock GS-R makes about 140-142whp typically and 170hp crank and a stock LS makes about 115-118whp and 140hp crank. So my 126wtq is a little over 150lb/ft at the crank... down low at 4300rpm mind you. Great for auto-x. Stock LS's do not put down 120-130whp... it takes a good i/h/c/e combo to even get an LS to 130whp, and even then some don't quite make it.

What's more important is my power curve, not the numbers. Pretty flat torque (85% of peak at only 2200rpm) and a nice plateau of hp 6500-6900rpm. See for yourself (blue curve):

I have a 2" collector --> 2.25" cat --> 2.36" exhaust like you viet 83.

The B20 from the old Prelude is a completely different engine from the one in the CR-V. The Prelude B20 is one of the worst engines Honda has ever made, while a B20 is a nice package - basically an LS block bored to 2.0L. Everything swaps right over, and the blocks are cheap ($500 or so, same as LS pretty much).

While everything swaps over from the B20, you would benefit from a larger exhaust setup... a 2.25" or even 2.5" collector, 2.5" cat, and 2.5" exhaust (some even get gains going from 2.5" to 3" exhaust on B20/VTECs) would work a lot better than something like my setup.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
man derek, i'm soo jealous of ur set-up. All i have on my car is the i/h/e/c system cuz i'm slowly learn about car, but it wont put me in 14 sec even with motor mount inserts. I'm ridin on the heavy 4 door teg w/ all interior. I took alot of time to research about cams and camgears and find which one will suit best for me without having to upgrade the pistons, etc. I thought of 00-01 ITR or CTR cams since they give a nice gain over stock GSR. I'm goin to save up for those cams along with 4 bolts skunk2 camgears. I hope that'll put me in 14 sec club. What do u think? I"m not sure if i am able to get all the power out of the cams cuz i think my h/e/c give small restriction to the cams. I'll be happy if i'm in 14 sec club.

- sorry to hi-jack ur thread.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
viet_83 said:
man derek, i'm soo jealous of ur set-up. All i have on my car is the i/h/e/c system cuz i'm slowly learn about car, but it wont put me in 14 sec even with motor mount inserts. I'm ridin on the heavy 4 door teg w/ all interior. I took alot of time to research about cams and camgears and find which one will suit best for me without having to upgrade the pistons, etc. I thought of 00-01 ITR or CTR cams since they give a nice gain over stock GSR. I'm goin to save up for those cams along with 4 bolts skunk2 camgears. I hope that'll put me in 14 sec club. What do u think? I"m not sure if i am able to get all the power out of the cams cuz i think my h/e/c give small restriction to the cams. I'll be happy if i'm in 14 sec club.

4 dr tegs weigh less than 100 lbs more than the 2 dr. I think its somewhere around 40 lbs.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
viet_83 said:

With those cams and some good tuning (essential) you'll hit 14's most likely. I'm running a full interior too, no A/C or cruise control but all the seats, stereo, P/S, and all trim are still in there. There's a lot of smart weight reduction you can do and the sedan only weighs 70lbs more than the hatchback. Oh and btw the Skunk2 gears are 6 bolt. ;) Your current bolt-on piping sizes should be just fine for what you're doing.

Hopefully next week I'll be giving Stoph a ride in my car because he's thinking about doing the same engine mods, so you guys will get another (less-biased) perspective then perhaps. :)

Reactions: viet_83

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
White98LS said:
With those cams and some good tuning (essential) you'll hit 14's most likely. I'm running a full interior too, no A/C or cruise control but all the seats, stereo, P/S, and all trim are still in there. There's a lot of smart weight reduction you can do and the sedan only weighs 70lbs more than the hatchback. Oh and btw the Skunk2 gears are 6 bolt. ;) Your current bolt-on piping sizes should be just fine for what you're doing.

Hopefully next week I'll be giving Stoph a ride in my car because he's thinking about doing the same engine mods, so you guys will get another (less-biased) perspective then perhaps. :)
that is an inspriation answer. I hope i'll be able to do it before summer start. hahah i probably offended anyone for saying "heavy" sedan. :hehe

·
Registered
482 Posts
White98LS, I think I'm gonna stop modding my car and save for a used S2k. Think you can talk me out of it? BTW how many miles are on your car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.