Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what it used to form the gasket between the upper radiator hose and the engine? There is the upper radiator hose mount on the engine and that mount attaches to the engine and there is no factory gasket like the one used for the thermostat housing....so, something has to be used to make the seal between the hose mount and the engine....any ideas what is supposed to be used to mount it? Is there a particular sealant?

I have a D16Z6 engine...if that matters.

Also, what sort of solvent or cleaner is used to clear the engine surface before you apply the gasket sealant? I what the surfaces to be smooth and clean so that the sealant makes a good seal and doesn't leak....

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I got the RTV today...and wanted to let everyone know that Honda recommends grey RTV for use on the Del Sol. I didn't know that there were so many different versions of the RTV out there. So, I asked the dealership what they used and they gave me a tube of RTV that is grey on the outside. It seems that RTV usually is advertised by the color of the tube it comes in.

The mechanic at the dealership said...perhaps erroneously...that grey RTV is appropriate for all Del Sol and small Civic motors.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well, for next time i guess, my upper gasket kit for my motor came with that gasket.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mattliston: thing is that there is no gasket for the upper radiator mount. It is a metal on metal connection requiring the use of RTV. So, you may want to double check your kit and make sure that you have what you are supposed to have....

Maybe they do make a kit for that mount....a gasket would work okay...but the RTV makes a really strong seal, way better than a gasket could ever do.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Its possible Im mistaken. Let me double check.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may be right...I am likely wrong. However, when I attempted to get a simple gasket for this attachment I was told RTV "was" the gasket. If you know of where to get a gasket or there is a gasket that should be used instead of RTV then I would like to know. After all, I want to do this right.

As of right now the RTV is holding the upper radiator hose mount on to the engine and I am not loosing any coolant from between the head and the mount.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
UPDATE I was wrong, the gakset I thought is was is for something on the intake manifold, maybe for the throttle body or something, my bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.