Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd call myself an enthusiast rather than a street racer. I'm about to drop a USDM B16a2 into my 98 CX because I am convinced that this is the safest, most legal engine with the least hassle that still gives you decent performance gains. What I am looking for is someone to convince me that I should be dropping in a B18C or a H22A - USDM or JDM.
Is it even possible to make a JDM motor legal? How much more hassle is the 18 or the 22?
Tell me I'm right to go with the B16 or convince me otherwise
Thanks guys - just trying to get to the bottom line before I drop the dough.

·
Registered
660 Posts
yo JDM are illgal but i will still drop one in, and i would go for the h22, rather then the b18, the b18 is good, actually very good, but the h22 is even better.
the h22 is gonna be way harder to put in then the b18, since the h22 is from a prelude, so you are gonna need to do some other mods, inorder for the engine to fit in,
so i would go with the h22, it's gonna be harder but it's worth it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
the b18's swaps are just about the sme as the b16, the h22 isnt goin to be much harder, its just gonna cost more becuase you need the mount kit. go for the b18c or h22a if you have the money. and btw are you planning to go na or turbo

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NA for now, but JRSCs dance around in my head every night. I like them better than turbos - clean, easy, no lag.
JDM are illgal but i will still drop one in
that right there is what I'm trying to avoid
Imagine for a second that you're me - wanting to add totally legal sleeper performance that my 60 year old mechanics will be willing to work on. No fart cans, no led squirter nozzles, not even indiglo. Now, what engine would you put in your car? Is the 20-40 extra hp worth the hassle, cost and additional upgrades?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know of a shop up in sac that will put in JDM engine and make it legal..how I don't know but I called them about a B18C5 (JDM) swap and they told me that it would only an extra $200 to make it legal. There name is Motorsport Dynamics (916) 648-8000. They are the best shop up in my area and very reputable(sp?).

I would go with the B18 cause I have heard that the H22 may cause handling issues in hard turning. If you can solve that I would deffintaly(sp?) go with the H22 for two reasons. 1. the motor its self is cheaper. and 2. can you say all motor!!

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
bullshit....B18C5 is a USDM motor and motorsport dynamics would not tell you that they could make a JDM motor legal..........JDM MOTORS ARE AUTOMATIC FAIL WITH EMISSIONS....get a USDM B18C5 and take it to the BAR to get it certified

·
Registered
454 Posts
CRXtc said:
bullshit....B18C5 is a USDM motor and motorsport dynamics would not tell you that they could make a JDM motor legal..........JDM MOTORS ARE AUTOMATIC FAIL WITH EMISSIONS....get a USDM B18C5 and take it to the BAR to get it certified
One question for you.... Have you called them and asked about a JDM swap?? Well I did and the guy I spoke to asked if I would want it to be legal so of course I said yes. And his response was well in that case it will be an extra $200-$300 in parts to make it legal. That is just what I was told I am not making any guaranties.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i dont need to call them because i talked to the guy at the ARB (Air resources board) and he told me that JDM motors are AUTOMATIC FAIL...NO MATTER WHAT.....and what it sounds like they guy at motorsport was going to do is either get a hookup smog or equip it with US smog equipment (still illegal swap....i ran through all of that shit with the ARB guy).......and BTW who did you talk to over there? ED? NATE? EUJAY? CHRIS? or that new guy whose name starts with an A?

·
Registered
454 Posts
CRXtc said:
i dont need to call them because i talked to the guy at the ARB (Air resources board) and he told me that JDM motors are AUTOMATIC FAIL...NO MATTER WHAT.....and what it sounds like they guy at motorsport was going to do is either get a hookup smog or equip it with US smog equipment (still illegal swap....i ran through all of that shit with the ARB guy).......and BTW who did you talk to over there? ED? NATE? EUJAY? CHRIS? or that new guy whose name starts with an A?
To be honest with you it was about a month ago and I dont remember the name I just called to get an idea of how much I need to save for my swap:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm kinda curious then if somebody can't make a little JDM NA inline four legal then how is motorex able to make a 280 hp tubro'd six legal? I know you can make the swap itself legal and I'm sure that they can make it to pass emissions, I'm not totally sure because here in flagstaff we don't have to pass but from what I hear from lots of people you can make a JDM pass in CA, also if you couldn't then how do you think those hundreds if not thousands of guys in CA w/ JDM engines survive?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll tell you how

1. Find a small off the path smog test station a private owned one..lets call ours Kim Brothers Smog

2. After you fail, tell Mr Kim that if you were to offer him some cash if he'd pass you, if so how much.

3. Pull your wallet out and hand the cash over to Mr Kim

4. Walk out with a smog approved car.

and it costs about 10000 for motorex to legalize the skylines...why do you think they're 94000 in the states? back home a 2000 R34 w/ 19K Km on it can be had for less than 35000 USD?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i will tell you why motorex can legalize skylines....first they DOT CRASH TEST THEM....that is the first part to the process then after that what they do is they get a written declaration from NISSAN MOTOR CORP. saying that the car meets certain guidelines....then they convert the car to OBD-2 and get all sensors that are required....then a catalytic converter.....then they take it to the BAR (BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR).....then they get it smog certified there........

·
Registered
506 Posts
EXACTLY! So your car is a USDM Civic/Teg/whatever, already crash tested, now whats left? A cat, maybe an USDM ECU?? Maybe and extra cat even, whatever it takes to make you legal, and just like superhybrid said, take that shit to mr. kim and let him worry about it, pay a flat rate like you would w/ motorex and they pay for the smog test till you pass, all I'm saying is if they can make that engine pass I am sure its possible to make a JDM b16/b18/h22/b20/etc. pass

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i didnt say it wasnt possible i am just telling you what the BAR and the CARB told me..........JDM MOTORS ARE AUTOMATIC FAIL.........so you will have to do that illegal smog shit every 2 years.....just a fact of life..........california sux dick

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are smog issues and then there are DMV issues. The California DMV says that regardless of emissions any engine that was not designed for the chassis it is mounted to is an illegal swap for safety reasons. They have a good point - they don't want H22 civics popping axles on the freeway. Swapping B16s and B18s is all good because civics and integras share the same platform and the chassis can stand the forces generated by these engines.
Anyway, the argument this thread has spawned has further convinced me that if I want to avoid any possible problems down the road, whether at the smog shop, the repair shop, or the DMV, I should just go with the USDM B16a2.
Thanks guys - you have convinced me that my initial decision was justified.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yeah that was directed at ypu because you said

"The California DMV says that regardless of emissions any engine that was not designed for the chassis it is mounted to is an illegal swap for safety reasons. "

and i want to check into that

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I did say that. You got me there.
That's just a relay of information I got from a swap shop. We were pricing up my swap options and I brought up how I want to keep it totally legal. He said "well that rules out JDM and the H22 because...." and you know the rest.
So I don't have a code - but I'll look into it too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
CRXtc said:
i didnt say it wasnt possible i am just telling you what the BAR and the CARB told me..........JDM MOTORS ARE AUTOMATIC FAIL.........so you will have to do that illegal smog shit every 2 years.....just a fact of life..........california sux dick
this is what I was getting at and I was hoping you'd say it, the BAR/CARB says the JDM b16a2 is AUTOMATIC FAIL which is 100% correct, it will fail I promise you, but a JDM b16a2 w/ a cat and a USDM or otherwise modified ECU, or whatever changes that need to be made, after the exhaust valve, is another story all together, and since the JDM b16 is pretty much the same as a USDM b16 weight and dimension wise as long as its the same year or newer then your car will pass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.