Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Acura Integra SE auto. I've been hearin differnt things about autos and about the gear changing. Like you know how the setup has like 1,2, D3, D4, N, R, and Park. well is it okay to like go from 1 to 2 to D3 and etc? cause i hear of my friends doing that but it sounds silly, and i thought it would mess up the transmission. Would this hurt the transmission or do any sort of damage to the car? and would it help you drive faster if you changed gears liek that or should i just stay in D4? Just wondering since i cant afford a auto to manual swap...lol

· Registered
3,783 Posts
BigPunisher said:
I have a 95 Acura Integra SE auto. I've been hearin differnt things about autos and about the gear changing. Like you know how the setup has like 1,2, D3, D4, N, R, and Park. well is it okay to like go from 1 to 2 to D3 and etc? cause i hear of my friends doing that but it sounds silly, and i thought it would mess up the transmission. Would this hurt the transmission or do any sort of damage to the car? and would it help you drive faster if you changed gears liek that or should i just stay in D4? Just wondering since i cant afford a auto to manual swap...lol
I don't think that is a very good idea because it will wear out your auto transmission a lot faster. Also DON'T brake torque, it will also wear out your transmission faster. Your best bet is to have it on D3 when accelerating and when the gear finishes, switch it to D4.

· Registered
784 Posts
used to have an auto in my old accord, it used to redline every gear as long as you had the gas all the way down. so what would be the use of switching gears in it, it wont make you any faster!
get a job, save up for the manual swap! hehe j/k

· Registered
959 Posts
I can drive stick and auto, I have an auto by the way. It doesn't do any good to shift the auto like a manual, the car is still slow. Even if you can hold up the gear longer by locking it in, the manual still has an extra gear and shorter gears. The car may feel like it has power, but it really doesn't. If you wanted to shift your own gears, you should have gotten a stick.

· Registered
14,616 Posts
i have owned 2 standards and an auto. unfortunately, the auto is my current one. my 90 teg LS has the sport shift shit.. i dunno what it's really called, but i can either put it in drive or D3/D4 with a button to switch between the two. i ALWAYS drive in D3/D4. it almost redlines first, redlines second, and then i have control (sort-of) over when it shifts to fourth....

it's still shitty, but it's better than just driving in D.

· Registered
267 Posts
ichanz66 said:
if you keep doin' that, it would be the quickest way to get a manual tranny.... very soon... don't abuse it.
only thing i would purposeful use it would have is downshifting... you'd slow down a little bit faster, but also think of this, brake pads are a lot cheaper to replace than a transmission.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
"Shifting" your auto manually will not make it any faster. Even in so-called "Sport-Shifts" or "Tiptronics", shifting it yourself doesn't make it any faster. You're just telling the automatic what to do, and it may or may not respond to your wishes, and when it does, it'll respond SLOW. The exceptions are Ferrari, M3, Aston Martin Vanquish, and a couple other systems (new MR2?), which are basically manuals with automatic clutches and such.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
i used to have na ls integ. automagic. as appo said, as long as your foot is down, it takes it up to redline. same thing with my auto integ. also i 'raced' a manual integra and beat him. one of two things. auto didnt have that much loss in time when shifting, and two, i didnt think he could drive. manual is the way to go :D since my teg was totaled r.i.p i got a del sol. hoping to get my engine and swap it in soon!

· Registered
345 Posts
i have an auto too, slow as hell. if u wanted a fast car, u shouldve gotten a stick.. i had no choice. i either use my feet or drive an auto. thats what my parents said. thought about swapping out the tranny, but its not wirth it. might as well sell the car and buy one thats stick. thats y i gave up on my car and gonna get a bike soon. (i hope). get a stick if u want a faster car. just my opinion

· Registered
14,616 Posts
ichanz66 said:
if you keep doin' that, it would be the quickest way to get a manual tranny.... very soon... don't abuse it.
who me? why did acura (honda) put the spot for the trans to shift to and the button there then ??

· Registered
674 Posts
TWO YEARS.....my friend has been shifting his auto ls....and his tranny is fine...he also commutes 30miles a day to college....check your owner's manual it says you can shift it like a stick with out a clutch...and yes shifting does make a difference...because you get more torque in the lower gears...since they are ment for hauling.......

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes, the lower gears make you accelerate faster. But if you floor it in D, unless it's the dumbest auto in the world, it'll start you in first, then proceed to second, then to third, etc. just as if you were "shifting" it yourself. What, do you think that leaving it in D will make it not use the lower gears? It'll just start in 2nd or 3rd no matter what you do? Of course if you punch it in D it'll use the lower gears, that's why it's an automatic. It only has 4 speeds in the first place, it's not just gonna decide not to use the "lower" gears. At any rate, it has a torque converter and therefore, to me, isn't worth it. Much less power to the ground, much less involvement, and still has SLOW shifts and longer gears. It's like having sex with a quarter-inch thick condom; you could do it, but it would be less fun, less involving, and would take a lot longer....:D

Trust me, if it helps, it's not by much. Car and Driver tested a bunch of manu-matics a couple years ago, cars like the Boxster and A4 that have "Tiptronic". They did 0-60, 1/4 mile, everything, shifting it themselves and then leaving it in D. None of the cars were much faster with shifting it, just as many were slower, and most were exactly the same. And those are cars with "Tiptronic" systems, not a generic auto gate.

· Registered
37 Posts
I don't know for sure but I belive it was if ur car is at an incline or some type of terain(stuck in mud or dirt) where the auto would not shift 4 so you could manualy put it in a lower gear if the car would not do it 4 u. But it doesn't add any power or shift faster in any way. In the integras case it may even be slower because the car shifts perfect every time at the correcr rpm, aif a person shifts it leaves room 4 human error.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
I agree with mikef1182. Another reason Honda and other manufacturers put the lower gears there is for using engine braking when descending steep grades. Most of the transmissions except for the newest ones won't downshift for you going downhill, and it's important to have engine braking when going down a mountain pass so you don't fry your brakes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.