Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i warped the head of my b16 when my wastegate stuck closed and created too much boost and not enough fuel...Anyways i was planning on rebuilding the engine but i had a chevy 350 lying around and did some measurements and scrapped the b16 and im now installing a 350. In addition we also have a 87 supra that was being parted out so i stole a lot of stuff from that.

The first thing i did was cut the firewall and floor to make room for the engine and tranny.

Second I cut out all of the rear to make room for the supra rear end and independent susp.

Third i took off all the suspension components and steering for the crx

Fourth took the complete fron support (crossmember and supsension) from the supra and for fitting purposes installed my coilovers fromt he crx. To make room for the upper a arms i have to cut out the crx "frame" in front.

Then so no one freaks, i am creating a whole subrame assembly and boxing the front in to support the horse power. In addition, i am moving the 350 further back which will create better traction and beter weight transfer over the car. The engine im building will push around 480 hp and 485 torque when im done with it. Suprisingly the width of the crx and the supras front suspension and supports and supras rear end are almost perfect. However due to wanting aftermarket rims i am molding in fender flares from ait racing.

I will get pictures up asap!

vids:

·
Registered
353 Posts
So i warped the head of my b16 when my wastegate stuck closed and created too much boost and not enough fuel...Anyways i was planning on rebuilding the engine but i had a chevy 350 lying around and did some measurements and scrapped the b16 and im now installing a 350. In addition we also have a 87 supra that was being parted out so i stole a lot of stuff from that.

The first thing i did was cut the firewall and floor to make room for the engine and tranny.

Second I cut out all of the rear to make room for the supra rear end and independent susp.

Third i took off all the suspension components and steering for the crx

Fourth took the complete fron support (crossmember and supsension) from the supra and for fitting purposes installed my coilovers fromt he crx. To make room for the upper a arms i have to cut out the crx "frame" in front.

Then so no one freaks, i am creating a whole subrame assembly and boxing the front in to support the horse power. In addition, i am moving the 350 further back which will create better traction and beter weight transfer over the car. The engine im building will push around 480 hp and 485 torque when im done with it. Suprisingly the width of the crx and the supras front suspension and supports and supras rear end are almost perfect. However due to wanting aftermarket rims i am molding in fender flares from ait racing.

I will get pictures up asap!
sounds creepy watchin a import coming down the street that sounds like a chevy :fear

but good look dont forget to reinforce the body

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Very interesting project, but it's going to be very obvious what's been done. The CRX engine bay isn't tall enough to fit a SBC, so you're either going to have to do a MASSIVE cowl on the hood, or put it so far back that you're modifying the firewall to fit the engine (in which case your shifter ends up behind you and your transmission ends behind your rear axle).

I'm interested to see how you tackle a few problems I have in mind, but definitely wish you the best. I'm finishing the teardown on my 327 to go out to the machine shop this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's going to have to end up as a 331, but we'll see how that goes. Definitely post pics of yours asap!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far after fitting because were using the supra front support, the v8 will clear pretty well, however, i will have 2 make a custom scoop for the carb and raise center of the hood. But not to the point where it is a massive 5inch cowl. And im also reinforcing the car with a full rollcage and custom subframe running from front to back for support and boxing in what ever i can for support. The engine will push around 450 hp when im done. :hehe

·
Banned
251 Posts
I guy I know has a LS1 motor in an EK civic hatchback. He calls it the "Civette"... pretty bad ass, but a lot of work goes into it. A V8 is going to have a tough time fitting its fat ass in that engine bay.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I guy I know has a LS1 motor in an EK civic hatchback. He calls it the "Civette"... pretty bad ass, but a lot of work goes into it. A V8 is going to have a tough time fitting its fat ass in that engine bay.
vertical clearance may be a problem but at least it's a small block not something like trying to shove a 454 in there. i'm very interested keep us posted

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also, the engine sits in the engine bay better than most would think, the hood will barely be modified only because of the intake manifold im using. i had a ford 8.8 rear end in the car but chose to go with the independent rear from the supra due to the lsd and better handling. also the rear end can handle the power (but so can the fords) anyways its all chopped up and cut apart and is semi depressing but its coming together very slowly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting project, but it's going to be very obvious what's been done. The CRX engine bay isn't tall enough to fit a SBC, so you're either going to have to do a MASSIVE cowl on the hood, or put it so far back that you're modifying the firewall to fit the engine (in which case your shifter ends up behind you and your transmission ends behind your rear axle).

I'm interested to see how you tackle a few problems I have in mind, but definitely wish you the best. I'm finishing the teardown on my 327 to go out to the machine shop this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's going to have to end up as a 331, but we'll see how that goes. Definitely post pics of yours asap!
thanx 4 the comment... but the engine will be moved to the point where the distributor will be in the engine compartment. Also the tranny being an auto with a shift kit helps....and i will need at least a 2 foot or more drive shaft. I thought i wouldnt have that much but i was wrong. the gross thing about the car is the fact that with the engine where it is going 2 be...ill be able to do wheelies w/ out slicks....:wow

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds badass. Gonna be one mean CRX. You think of mounting the engine in the rear? Make sure to post pics!
lol no not mounting the engine in the rear, i dont feel like inhaling too much carbonmonoxide

btw...incase any1 was wondering and i dont want 2 sound like a douche but im building this on a high school budget, im only 17...well about to be 18 but all the work is done by myself on my cars and its my mone put into it not my parents... this is my second modified car... my previous neon i built became sponsored by cyberdyne gauges.... i guess i had 2 brag a bit because im proud of my cars....anyways back to the crx.... let me know what u guys think i love to hear ur comments...on the car

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
lol no not mounting the engine in the rear, i dont feel like inhaling too much carbonmonoxide

btw...incase any1 was wondering and i dont want 2 sound like a douche but im building this on a high school budget, im only 17...well about to be 18 but all the work is done by myself on my cars and its my mone put into it not my parents... this is my second modified car... my previous neon i built became sponsored by cyberdyne gauges.... i guess i had 2 brag a bit because im proud of my cars....anyways back to the crx.... let me know what u guys think i love to hear ur comments...on the car
That's pretty cool man, I definitely have respect for anyone trying a project like this. Just make sure you don't get in over your head. Are you using an HEI distributor? That's going to be pretty high to put behind the firewall, won't it? In any event, this is an awesome build. I fully support it and will be happy to offer any input I can. Keep the pictures coming, I'd love to see how final fitment goes, and what you decide to do with the exhaust routing. This will be streetable, correct?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
also, the engine sits in the engine bay better than most would think, the hood will barely be modified only because of the intake manifold im using. i had a ford 8.8 rear end in the car but chose to go with the independent rear from the supra due to the lsd and better handling. also the rear end can handle the power (but so can the fords) anyways its all chopped up and cut apart and is semi depressing but its coming together very slowly.
i figured you would go with a carb it's much easier

·
Registered
301 Posts

Sweet man you gotta a good start. I'm 26 and I just started diving into the mechanics world last year.

1 - 20 of 466 Posts