Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, ive been seeing a lot of threads on how the VAFC helps them out and everything... but I wanna know, how exactly do you go about tuning it, i have a place where i can get 3 runs in a dyno for 50 bucks and wanna see what numbers ill be putting down... also before i get there i prolly am gonna get a vafc but i just need to know how to get it tuned when i am there. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
the only thing i can tell you is that the computer dumps fuel right before vtec engages so u can lean it out a little, other than that just get someone who knows what there doin when it comes to tuning the motor and go for it , u can street tune it to get a "base" tune down then take it to the dyno to get it right on , since u can read the air fuel curve better
good luck

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
the three runs for $50 won't get u any tuning........see how much they would charge to tune the vafc. If they don't know what that is go somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i dont do any of the actual tuning, the guy thats running the dyno will tune it for me? either way i dont care i just would like to know whats involved in "tuning" a car, that way i know if a: hes not doing it right, or b: i can do it better. also what kind of gains might i expect off a non tuned engine.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
H22aLudeSI said:
so i dont do any of the actual tuning, the guy thats running the dyno will tune it for me? either way i dont care i just would like to know whats involved in "tuning" a car, that way i know if a: hes not doing it right, or b: i can do it better. also what kind of gains might i expect off a non tuned engine.
yes he does everything....all he will do is either add fuel or take it away....more adding that taking away tho. He may mess with where the vtec engagement is but it depends on your baseline run. You cant tune your car unless you have a wideband o2 sensors and a readout so you could possibly do a street tune. But i would leave it to the tuner. The guy i am going to for when i get my cams tuned does a street tune and then a dyno tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info, i cant wait to see what im actually putting to the wheels... still gotta get to the track, cant believe i havent done that yet... thanks again

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
92Lude said:
where you from? 50 bucks sounds like a good deal. I need a place to tune my vafc...as of now it look likes 150/hr for dyno/tuning.
the 50 bux he was referring to was just 3 runs on the dyno, it didnt inclulde any tuning

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
IM CURIOUS ABOUT THIS WIDEBAND O2 THING. I GOT A VAFC 2 ON THE WAY AND DIDNT EVEN CONSIDER NEEDED NEW O2 SENSORS. MAKES PERFECT SENSE FOR PROPER TUNING, BUT IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? IVE SEEN STOCK O2'S FOR AROUND $150, SO THATS $300 ON O2'S. THATS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PRICE OF MY CONTROLLER. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND QUALITY O2 SENSORS FOR A GOOD PRICE? CONTROLLER SHOULD BE HERE IN 3-4 DAYS AND THEN IM GOING TO DYNO TUNE IT ALSO. SO WHATS UP WITH THE O2'S? IF I NEED THEM, I WANT TO GET THEM BEFORE I GO TUNE AND INSTALL THEM AHEAD OF TIME.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
MacTown said:
IM CURIOUS ABOUT THIS WIDEBAND O2 THING. I GOT A VAFC 2 ON THE WAY AND DIDNT EVEN CONSIDER NEEDED NEW O2 SENSORS. MAKES PERFECT SENSE FOR PROPER TUNING, BUT IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? IVE SEEN STOCK O2'S FOR AROUND $150, SO THATS $300 ON O2'S. THATS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PRICE OF MY CONTROLLER. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND QUALITY O2 SENSORS FOR A GOOD PRICE? CONTROLLER SHOULD BE HERE IN 3-4 DAYS AND THEN IM GOING TO DYNO TUNE IT ALSO. SO WHATS UP WITH THE O2'S? IF I NEED THEM, I WANT TO GET THEM BEFORE I GO TUNE AND INSTALL THEM AHEAD OF TIME.
dont use caps. U dont need to buy 02 sensors, when you go to the dyno that has a wideband readout, they change out one of your o2 sensors for their wideband. Of course unless you wanna street tune the car yourself you will need to buy a wideband kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, im from buffalo, ny (western new york) i havent read too much into what ill get for the 50 bucks, but when i found out ill let u know, im hoping the guy will know how to tune the vafc. thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
H22aLudeSI said:
yeah, im from buffalo, ny (western new york) i havent read too much into what ill get for the 50 bucks, but when i found out ill let u know, im hoping the guy will know how to tune the vafc. thanks again for all the input
most people who work on imports and have a dyno know how to tune a vafc...if they dont, then they dont need dyno

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Ok So why would i need a Wideband kit to tune the car for the street? With what you have said, im gonna continue to run the vafc2 without widebands. But wouldnt it be wiser to just install widebands, if they tune the vafc with them? Whats the point of tuning the car with them, if im not running them on the street?

Whats wrong with caps?

Im new to the forum, so i get a few stupid points.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
MacTown said:
Ok So why would i need a Wideband kit to tune the car for the street? With what you have said, im gonna continue to run the vafc2 without widebands. But wouldnt it be wiser to just install widebands, if they tune the vafc with them? Whats the point of tuning the car with them, if im not running them on the street?

Whats wrong with caps?

Im new to the forum, so i get a few stupid points.
ok you must have misunderstood me....people who have a dyno at their shop usually have a wideband o2 sensor that they put in the place of the primary o2. The wideband o2 sensor and display allows them to read your air/fuel ratio, without wideband you cannot get an accurate tune on the car.

IF you dont want to go to a dyno and you want to be able to tune the car yourself (which i dont recommend if you dont understand air/fuel ratios) you have to buy a wideband o2 kit. They are usually around 300-400 bux. This allows you to go out on the street and make a couple runs while you watch your air/fuel gauge that comes with the kit. When you see a dip or rise in the air/fuel ratio you can either add / subtract fuel using your vafc. This is called a street tune...however you do not get dyno numbers. If you understand air/fuel ratios and understand everything about the vafc then you wont have a problem street tuning your car.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Wow, man, im just catching onto some of the things around here. Being that you have the title moderator, and i got noob! hahaha You can figure out why im not up to speed with the forum yet.

Anyways, thanx for the the response. I understand now what you were trying to say before. Im sure as hell not gonna try and street tune the vafc. My intention from the beginning was to go to a shop and dyno the car anyway, not only to tune the controller, but to get an idea of how much im putting to the ground as of now. For future reference for future upgrades.

I would assume that the primary o2 is the first in line of the exhaust, correct? Considering that i plan on dynoing the car every major upgrade from now, it wouldnt be a bad i dead to have a wideband anyways, yeah? So can i just run one primary, or would i have to buy the kit, as you mentioned before?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
MacTown said:
Wow, man, im just catching onto some of the things around here. Being that you have the title moderator, and i got noob! hahaha You can figure out why im not up to speed with the forum yet.

Anyways, thanx for the the response. I understand now what you were trying to say before. Im sure as hell not gonna try and street tune the vafc. My intention from the beginning was to go to a shop and dyno the car anyway, not only to tune the controller, but to get an idea of how much im putting to the ground as of now. For future reference for future upgrades.

I would assume that the primary o2 is the first in line of the exhaust, correct? Considering that i plan on dynoing the car every major upgrade from now, it wouldnt be a bad i dead to have a wideband anyways, yeah? So can i just run one primary, or would i have to buy the kit, as you mentioned before?
you would have to get someone to weld you another o2 bung on there...so in total you would be running 3 o2 sensors. If you dont ever plan on tuning your car by yourself then i dont see the need in having it unless you wanna know how you car is running at all times. For a stock motor like you have now, its not gonna be necessary. But once you start getting inside the motor you might wanna invest it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.