Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i think i've done my valve adjustment wrong and now my car keeps cranking and won't start. i've done it about 3 times now. can someone please tell me a descriptive step-by-step on how to do a valve adjustment for the h22 so i can make sure i did it right. i'm probably gonna try to do it one more time. thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your car doesn't start , it would not be a valve adjustment.

Most likely be a broken or bent valve ......Ran into this problem myself once before.

If it's a valve adjustment, it would just make a clatter noise and STILL run.

also, you said you did this yourself 3 times, most likely you either set the valves too low, hitting the valves against the pistons bending them or breaking them. one thing that would make the car not run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you might wanna check if there is any lose wires...

I install my cam seal awhile ago and my car wouldnt start, the spark wires were lose somehow..

my best advice is, bring it to ....honda

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most of time when you bend a valve the first turn will have a one or a half revolution, then a stick then turn some more. You might have them to tight which caused a compression reduction on 2 or more cylinders. Get a compression tester. The best way to get in the ball park is to watch the cam lobe. Once the cam lobe crosses the TDC mark, or 0 degrees up, then goes pass this point on the down which is between 1 and 2 knotches on the timing belt. Then loose the rocker arm with a 10mm then turn the screw out, to release the pressure on the valve, then Tighten back to specs. Do this on each cam lobe (intake and exhaust seperately). Once you get it started if it idles low on a down shift to first at the light,, one or two valve are to tight. This happens because the throttle position sensor can't recover from low idle after compression stroke on the off spec valve or valves.

** Note do the readjustment first, then check compression. If one cylinder is way off with the compression tester you have a bent valve. **

1 - 6 of 6 Posts