Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i've noticed this ticking sound for the past month and it seems to have goten worse. Sorta sounds like it's comeing from the header. Do you think i need to get a valve adjustment? As far as i know its never had one. I plan on doing it myself, but if it's only like $50 i might have someone else do it. I don't really have time right now to do myself. Does anyone know what it would cost?

· Registered
2,356 Posts
rawkus said:
i had mine done for $75
Honda dealer quoted me $89 for a valve clearance adjusment.. Local foreign auto shop quoted me roughly $50.. I'm taking it there next week when I get the car back..

· Registered
115 Posts
with the $50 it takes to get it done by a shop, buy a Helms manual.

It's worth the money. It will tell you how to do it. It took me about 15-20 minutes to adjust mine. It's really easy. The only special tool that you would need is a feeler guage. They cost about $5.

Do it yourself, you will learn a hell of a lot.

good luck,

aj :)

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No doubt, i would much rather do it myself. I've got the haynes but it kinda sucks and skips shit, then you have to read the whole book to learn how to do one thing. I'm sure i can do it myself, there isn't much to it. Just trying to get some feed back. What's the best to find top dead center, and what size socket do i need to turn the crank?

· Registered
115 Posts
The Hayne's manual does suck. For my car (97 civic) they did a tear down on a 94 Integra! Weird.

Anyway, the Helm's manual tells you step by step on how to turn the crank and what size socket to use.

The best way to find top dead center though, is by using the indent marks that are on the stock cam gear. Again, the manual tells you how.

And the size of the socket on the crank is 17 mm I believe.

Good luck,

aj :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.