Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys just a quick question i just replaced my valve cover after checking the valves as i was torqueing the bolt up one of the threds in the head striped :bh . all the other bolts are torqued up proper and the one that is stripped is done up to an extent will this be a problem i have had the car sitting idleing and couldnt c ne leaks but i wanna know if it would be safe to drive it or should i get it fixed first

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You should get it fixed but for the time being it should be okay. It might leak at where the bolt and gromet is but not much. I had 2 of them that broke off and I drove around with it like that for months. I just used a little rubber cement to keep a seal.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
armageddon said:
hi guys just a quick question i just replaced my valve cover after checking the valves as i was torqueing the bolt up one of the threds in the head striped :bh . all the other bolts are torqued up proper and the one that is stripped is done up to an extent will this be a problem i have had the car sitting idleing and couldnt c ne leaks but i wanna know if it would be safe to drive it or should i get it fixed first
hang on so what stripped? the thread on the bolt? the head on the bolt? or the threads in the head where the nolt goes?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98civcEK said:
hang on so what stripped? the thread on the bolt? the head on the bolt? or the threads in the head where the nolt goes?
its the thread in the head, i drove it today and nothing leaked im gonna try find a tap and retap the head in the next couple of days i dont want to leave it to long even if it aint leaking, YET!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
you probably broke the v/c bolt, they only torque to 6 ft lbs, which isn't much at all!

best thing to do is to get the smallest "broken bolt remover" (can't think of what they're called right now)you can get from sears for like $5 and back it out that way

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
98civcEK said:
i'm sure there is some kind of sealant stuff that will fill the stripped threads and keep it from leaking
i wouldn't do that for fear of getting it in the valvetrain and run it through the engine

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx for all ya help guys im gonna go with the helicoil thingy once i find the right size that is if not ill just retap for a slightly bigger bolt

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
forget those helicoils, they look expensive for a one time use... go to sears and ask them for the smallest easy-out they have.

what you'll have to do is drill a small hole in the broken bolt, screw the easy out in, then back it out. the easy out is reverse threaded, so it'll tighten as it removes the bolt. i got one for <$5 and it worked really well for having never done it before. took all of 20 minutes including prep time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have same problem, but with both of the long bolts. that makes the cover loose on one side, so I have to replace them before I can drive. Can you post once you find the solution- if you use the helicoils, which I plan, I need to know what is the correct size- I can't find any info on the bolt specifications that will tell me that. I think it's helicoil size 6mm x 1.0, which is the helicoil kit number 5546-6 but that's only a guess at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You'll want to rethread that as soon as possible. It could be stressing the bolts on either side having one missing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts