Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as u guys know my shit has been leaking. i found the problem. there is so much pressure under my valve cover i didnt have a place for it to vent. i had the catch can plugged in from my pcv to the can, an the bung on the valve cover to the can. (where the hose to the intake would go).

i found this by taken off my oil cap while it was running. an bam, the leak stopped. i think 2.2l might have been givin me some bad info or i mis understood him.

hope this make sence. bit i was about to get the bold out an rethread it. whats weird is that this started to leak after i rehosed the catch can. but its fixed now :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
You should be safer, and easier on your motor by running TWO catch cans..
Thats what i'm doing now..
I have one from my intake manifold to my catch can, to my pcv box..
Valve cover to catch can to intake..u need to have that constant sucken at high rpms threw that valvecover it helps prevent blow bys and alot of other things..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,967 Posts
9400rpms said:
You should be safer, and easier on your motor by running TWO catch cans..
Thats what i'm doing now..
I have one from my intake manifold to my catch can, to my pcv box..
Valve cover to catch can to intake..u need to have that constant sucken at high rpms threw that valvecover it helps prevent blow bys and alot of other things..
no...... no you dont.

the whole point in a catch can is to keep your intake air charge clean. A good catch system should never have anything routing back into the intake manifold. In reality, under optimum conditions, the catch can should route from the breather to the can, from the can to the PCV. The hole in the intake, and the hole in the manifold, should both be plugged. The catch can should vent to open atmosphere.

It's Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It doesn't need a vaccum source... the positive pressure from the crankcase will push it out on it's own. There's no sucking needed.

I've seen a lot of people who'll plug both the PCV and the breather hole...and just drill larger bores into the front of the valve cover to use a setup like this. Honestly, the PCV and the breather holes are just too small for what a high performance application needs.

it should look like this:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clone said:
no...... no you dont.

the whole point in a catch can is to keep your intake air charge clean. A good catch system should never have anything routing back into the intake manifold. In reality, under optimum conditions, the catch can should route from the breather to the can, from the can to the PCV. The hole in the intake, and the hole in the manifold, should both be plugged. The catch can should vent to open atmosphere.

It's Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It doesn't need a vaccum source... the positive pressure from the crankcase will push it out on it's own. There's no sucking needed.

I've seen a lot of people who'll plug both the PCV and the breather hole...and just drill larger bores into the front of the valve cover to use a setup like this. Honestly, the PCV and the breather holes are just too small for what a high performance application needs.

it should look like this:

yup your correct. thats jakes motor there correct? i had mine set up the same way. but i didnt even thying about the breather on top like he has.


but 9400rpm can do it the same way as long he has a breather on his can. it should work just as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
I have on my type-r, a pcv routed to my catch can, then from the catch can to the middle nipple on my s2 manifold..
From my valvecover to my other catch can, from my catch can to my intake..now, i have,since i've done this burnt less oil from vtec-redline, and also the car runs stronger/faster at high rpms..
Besides it allows the motor not to struggle i was getting my two cents in there..i've setup alot of people's catch can systems..if its not right, how should i go about fixing it..because fact remains there should always be a sucking force on the pcv system...thats why honda made it go into the manifold..its there for a reason, and thats why you have sucken threw your intake from your valvecover..its there for a reason, honda put it on there for a REASON...prove me wrong if, show me honda's design is dumb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
gurusan said:
Clone speaks the truth.

I have my catch can routed back into the intake manifold because I don't like to pollute unnecessarily.
no, thats the biggest load of crap i've heard ever..show me in stock form why honda put it there, because it isn't for emission purposers..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,272 Posts
9400rpms said:
no, thats the biggest load of crap i've heard ever..show me in stock form why honda put it there, because it isn't for emission purposers..
What are you talking about? There is no catch can in stock form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
gurusan said:
What are you talking about? There is no catch can in stock form.
all vtec motors, as far as i know, have a pcv system(catch can system) which basically tries to realize crank case pressure...just a thought..?? why is the pcv setup there in the first place..


This is what i'm tryin to get at...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,272 Posts
Umm yeah as far as I know all OBD-1+ motors have a PCV system...but there's no Catch can. There's an EVAP carbon scrubber but that's different
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,967 Posts
9400rpms said:
no, thats the biggest load of crap i've heard ever..show me in stock form why honda put it there, because it isn't for emission purposers..

um, yeah it is.

the PCV technically is an emissions control system. By law, a catch can venting to open atmosphere is not emissions legal, as it expels crankcase gases into the air... of which include HCs and CO.

same reason why not having a gas cap is not emissions legal... same reason you have a charcoal canister, same reason for a lot of things on a car.

It's made that way from the factory because there's no other way to do it while staying emissions compliant. For it's purpose, it works. It is not 'good' for performance, it's good for practicality and legality.

The PCV system is there because as your engine goes through its four stroke cycle, it builds pressure inside the crankcase. The pressure has to be released somewhere, or you'll experience problems such as George's recent issues. For this reason, they've made the PCV system. Because of emissions control laws, they are unable to vent the crankcase pressure to the atmosphere, and are therefore forced to vent it somewhere else. The most logical and economical place is back to the intake, where it can be burned through the combustion cycle, and exhausted through the tailpipe and catalytic converter, thus virtually eliminating whatever emissions might have occured through venting the crankcase.


And one other thing... the PCV system is in no way like a catch can system... the catch can is designed to eliminate the flow of spent crankcase gases and oil through the pcv system and into the intake charge. the stock PCV system allows small amounts of oil, and all spent gases, to go through the valve.

while you might not be getting oil in it, Unless the catch can is vented to open atmosphere, you're still putting dirty, previously spent gas into your combustion chambers... this gas takes up space away from the pure air/fuel mixture, and lowers combustion efficiency due to the gases low oxygen content.

If you're not going to vent to open atmosphere, a catch can is virtually a complete waste of your time and money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
hrm...So how should i go about setting it up...to have the pressure sucked out but at the same time, be vented into the atmosphere...any pics of a regular catch can..?
 
  • Like
Reactions: DrivinVtec

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,967 Posts
uh... that picture is of a 'regular' catch can. that's the only 'right' way to do it.

Now if you've got a catch can that does not vent to open atmosphere, the only way to set it up properly is to be installed inline between the PCV valve and the nipple on the intake manifold which your PCV valve was routed to in stock form. And no, I have no picture of this.

Honestly, if it doesn't vent to open atmosphere, it's almost a complete waste, as it doesn't really do anything for the performance of your vehicle.

All those types of cans are built CARB legal, just so they'll be applicable to vehicles with visual inspections, strict emissions standards, and the like. They're still not the best system for true performance.

Just so we're clear... the crankcase pressure does not need to be "sucked" out... just cause it's attached to vaccum in stock form doesn't mean shit. The reason why, I stated in my previous post. Positive Crankcase pressure is built up... and the nature of pressure is to move from an area of high pressure to an area of lower pressure, to equalize. Venting to open atmosphere, the positive pressure will push itself out. It needs no vaccum, no suction...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,967 Posts
here's another emissions legal way of doing it

this is probably one of the better ways I've seen it done, as it's still emissions legal, and provides large ports to relieve crankcase pressure:



with a check valve in the exhaust after the collector, before the cat


 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top