Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make red valve cover for the Accord V6 (6gen)?

If not, what kind of paint do you use to paint the stock one, i assume that normal body paint would burn up, but how bout caliper paint and such?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Engine enamel paint would do fine, probably. But since I have no firsthand experience on this or know about it too much, try searching for this. Also, look in the Gallery. Many people painted their engine valve cover to red, silver, and etc. Some even bought and put CF covers on. It's not cheap for CF, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
.::BlownsiX::. said:
um we have 2 valve covers, and i cant even see mine good enough to waste time painting them.
He's really talking about the engine covers, not the valve covers. Anyway, you can just use regular paint on those, they don't get very hot anyway. I've had mine painted for about a year and a half w/ no problems w/ the paint melting or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
munkeysoup said:
He's really talking about the engine covers, not the valve covers. Anyway, you can just use regular paint on those, they don't get very hot anyway. I've had mine painted for about a year and a half w/ no problems w/ the paint melting or anything.
What are you talking about, dude? The only part you can paint easily on the engine are the valve covers, not the engine block itself. He's talking about the black plastic that acts as a valve cover. But I don't know if they do get hot enough to melt regular paint away. If you used regular paint and holds up, that's cool. But he did mean the valve covers. What exactly are you calling an "engine cover"? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
showgunz said:
What are you talking about, dude? The only part you can paint easily on the engine are the valve covers, not the engine block itself. He's talking about the black plastic that acts as a valve cover. But I don't know if they do get hot enough to melt regular paint away. If you used regular paint and holds up, that's cool. But he did mean the valve covers. What exactly are you calling an "engine cover"? :confused:
what the hell, you are confused. hahahaha i think me and monkeysoup are the only ones that really know what a valve cover is.

the black plastic is the engine cover, not a valve cover. and it sure as hell doesnt "act like a valve cover" :laff:

the valve cover is metal, and removing it would reveal the valve train and cam. the engine cover just cover's the engine to make it pretty.

edit: and the engine cover's do not need high temp paint. just get regular, they will melt themselves before regular paint burns off, hahahhahaahaha...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
showgunz said:
Some even bought and put CF covers on. It's not cheap for CF, though.
I thought O.E Tuning was the only company attemting to make the CF Engine Cover for our cars and from what I hear from ID10T, they were having some problems with them. So if you know where these covers are coming from, please let me know. I've been looking for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Oops, I don't call those things by separate names. That's why I was confused when you were calling a different part called an "engine cover" and another a "valve cover".

So, you're saying the black plastic cover is an "engine cover" and the silver piping is the "valve cover".

When I hear the term, "valve cover", the DOHC VTEC valve covers to my mind. And you can paint those, too. So I didn't know you guys referred to the black plastic as an "engine cover" and the silver piping as a "valve cover". Pretty weird, if you ask me. I call the whole black plastic the valve cover, which as you pointed out is wrong. Sorry, for my misleading use of the term "valve cover". I didn't know you guys were talking about 2 separate things! I'll be careful not to call the black plastic, a valve cover from now on. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
LunV6 said:
I thought O.E Tuning was the only company attemting to make the CF Engine Cover for our cars and from what I hear from ID10T, they were having some problems with them. So if you know where these covers are coming from, please let me know. I've been looking for one.
You're talking about Jerry, right? Yeah, the only CF covers I saw were from him and some from acura-tl.com or acura-cl.com. I don't see people talking about them anymore, though. So I'm not sure what happened to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
showgunz said:
Oops, I don't call those things by separate names. That's why I was confused when you were calling a different part called an "engine cover" and another a "valve cover".

So, you're saying the black plastic cover is an "engine cover" and the silver piping is the "valve cover".

When I hear the term, "valve cover", the DOHC VTEC valve covers to my mind. And you can paint those, too. So I didn't know you guys referred to the black plastic as an "engine cover" and the silver piping as a "valve cover". Pretty weird, if you ask me. I call the whole black plastic the valve cover, which as you pointed out is wrong. Sorry, for my misleading use of the term "valve cover". I didn't know you guys were talking about 2 separate things! I'll be careful not to call the black plastic, a valve cover from now on. :D
hahaha, its all good yo, the reason its called a valve cover on the 4 cyl engines is because it is just that. the head on a 4 cyl. is right up top with the valve cover covering the valve train on top of the head. with our V6 the heads are angled out and the silver piping is actually the intake manifold, still not the vavle cover, haha. tom. i will get my dig. camera and point it all out to you, thats probly easier than trying to explain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine cover, valve cover, in either case, its the cover that comes red on Integra Type R and all other Type R's ok? Not that i wanna be a Type R, but my friend is going with red theme in the engine bay, its just his color. Anyways, so it sounds like normal body paint works?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
.::BlownsiX::. said:
hahaha, its all good yo, the reason its called a valve cover on the 4 cyl engines is because it is just that. the head on a 4 cyl. is right up top with the valve cover covering the valve train on top of the head. with our V6 the heads are angled out and the silver piping is actually the intake manifold, still not the vavle cover, haha. tom. i will get my dig. camera and point it all out to you, thats probly easier than trying to explain.
Yep. The whole valve/engine cover thing confuses alot of people at first. But yeah, all Honda i4's that I've seen have an easily visible valve cover that can be painted but DOES get hot so you need high temp paint for that. The av6 just has plastic engine covers that go over the intake manifold that don't get very hot so you can paint those with standard paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts



alot of the engine cover has been removed but it actually allows you to see the actual vavle cover. the engine cover is the black plastic on top, the silver 'pipes' is the intake manifold and the silver cover that has the comptech sticker is the valve cover. the v6 has 2 valve covers. the other one is located on the other side of the engine. this should clear some things up quite a bit.

btw, the pic is on my personal server so if it doesnt load, i either lost my connection or i am restarting, but this is rare so it should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
LunV6 said:
I thought O.E Tuning was the only company attemting to make the CF Engine Cover for our cars and from what I hear from ID10T, they were having some problems with them. So if you know where these covers are coming from, please let me know. I've been looking for one.
the covers are good, nothing wrong with them...the problem is the high cost in making them (here) which no one is willing to pay for. so the company is looking into other means of making these covers that will lower the costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
http://windsrprk.home.mindspring.com/ <--- alicia's page she has how To's on painting the valve cover

just so u guys know, here is how I did mine,

I use simple green, soaked the baby in the tub for about 20 minutes, used a scrubber and made sure it's clean. then I let it dry, then I sprayed 3 coats of primer, the flexible kind for plastics.

then I bough 2 bottles of Opti-Color Blue Metal flakes, and I used 1 1/2 cans of that, and then I topped it off with 1 can of Clear top coat. So far, all these are holding up very well, and no problems yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
n00b.OnLine said:
any engine part, just use high-heat just in case.
Yep, nothing wrong w/ that except that you have a much bigger selection of colors in regular paint. And like mentioned earlier, the engine covers would probably melt before the paint itself did. When I did my covers at first I was worried about the paint metling, so what I did was just used high-temp primer and then standard paint...so do that if your still worried about it melting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
DV8 said:
http://windsrprk.home.mindspring.com/ <--- alicia's page she has how To's on painting the valve cover

just so u guys know, here is how I did mine,

I use simple green, soaked the baby in the tub for about 20 minutes, used a scrubber and made sure it's clean. then I let it dry, then I sprayed 3 coats of primer, the flexible kind for plastics.

then I bough 2 bottles of Opti-Color Blue Metal flakes, and I used 1 1/2 cans of that, and then I topped it off with 1 can of Clear top coat. So far, all these are holding up very well, and no problems yet.
ya i did basically the same, alicia's website has good tips, just make sure theyre nice and clean b4 u paint them, and take lots of time taping ur honda and 3.0 vtec symbols,
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top