Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a d16y8 head that has been ported and polished with a ported intake manifold. I am plannin on goin turbo, and i was wondering if i should also get new valve springs, valves, retainers, etc. thanks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
yes, most people go to "build" and engine to handle boost only worry about pistons/rods, you need to match this by beefing up the head also...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Primax said:
I just bought a d16y8 head that has been ported and polished with a ported intake manifold. I am plannin on goin turbo, and i was wondering if i should also get new valve springs, valves, retainers, etc. thanks.
First off are you building the bottom end ??
Second how much boost are you planning to run ??
Are you planning to raise the rev limit ??

Like Dug said, if you are gonna build the bottom, build the top. I'd go with SS valves with stiffer springs. Forget the retainers IMO they are over priced for that amount that they help you.

What type of porting work was done to the head ??
Not all PPing is done the same. Heads are ported for differant flow characteristics. NA vs Boosted.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i just bought the head because i want the y8 head, and because it was cheap. im not sure which type of job it is, but im takin it in in a few days so ill ask them. Also, as far as the bottom end goes, im not really plannin on upgrading besides a new head gasket. any suggestions? Im plannin on runnin 10lbs. My goal is 13s so i wanna get to that goal as safley as possible but without breakin the bank if possible. also do u think i should go with the t3/t4 turbo?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think 10lbs is a little much for a stock bottom end on a D-series motor. If you are only run up to 13lbs the T3T4 isn't fit for your application. It'll work, but the car would much more drivable with the a smaller turbo. The T3T4 is for larger displacement engines. A TD04H-15G that comes with the greddy kit would give you overall better performance. Unless you plan to sleeve and run higher boost down the road, bigger isn't better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Unless you plan on running higher rpm's than factory there is no reason to upgrade anything on the valvetrain, Ive been running my factory valve train under 22lbs of boost for 1 1/2 years with no problems, the motor is putting out roughly 300hp so you shouldnt have any problems, really you only need stiffer springs when your reving your motor above stock levels, you dont want to put stiffer springs in a motor that dosent need them, it will cost you more horsepower, you would be better off just getting a set of ss valves, that can handle more heat, and I believe they are lighter than stock, which means you can run alittle safer at stock redline.
Just my opinion on the subject.
Laters...
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts