Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

I was wondering, does the HEAD have to come off to replace the valve springs and retainers on a b16 ('00 civic si)?

Trying to determine if I am going to go with cams which do not require value train work or more HP "radical lift/dur" cams which it's a must.

Thanks all

·
Registered
113 Posts
immortaly2k said:
Question:

I was wondering, does the HEAD have to come off to replace the valve springs and retainers on a b16 ('00 civic si)?

Trying to determine if I am going to go with cams which do not require value train work or more HP "radical lift/dur" cams which it's a must.

Thanks all
yeup.

and depending on how aggressive the cams youre going to get, you will have to upgrade the valve train as well...

use the search function, questions regarding cams/valve trains have been discussed and that information may help you...
peace

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
To replace the valve train and cams, you DO NOT have to remove the head.

You do need need compressed air to blow in the chamber so you dont drop a valve. If you do drop a valve you will have to pull the head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a FAQ or a HOW-TO on replacing/upgrading a B16 valve train and/or just the method of forcing compressed air into the block to hold the valves up during swap?

Thanks in advance!

v00tecsi said:
To replace the valve train and cams, you DO NOT have to remove the head.

You do need need compressed air to blow in the chamber so you dont drop a valve. If you do drop a valve you will have to pull the head.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You could also fill the combustion chamber with some soft twine and then bring the piston up to hold the valves. Just read that in Sport Compact Car. I never thought of that before. Sounds pretty trick.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts