Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if any of you folks have experienced a vibration problem in your CR-V's? I have about 160,000 miles on mine and at first I thought the vibration might have been needing tires (I do) or possibly CV joint(s) starting to go. I took it to a local shop and they couldn't determine for sure what it was and didn't want to just start throwing parts at it. Lately it seems like it could be engine related. When I experience it, either accelerating or decelerating will stop it. Although I've felt it at several speeds, it seems to happen most often just over 40MPH.

Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks from the newbie!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just as a WAG I'd suggest looking at the motor mounts...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another thought:

If your V has AWD, you might have sticking/notchy universal joints in the propshaft (driveshaft). 40 MPH is where these things seem to cause vibrations.

Best way to diagnose it is to remove the driveshaft. Drive it in 2WD for a few days and see if the vibrations have disappeared.

If you have never removed a driveshaft, some watchpoints:

Mark the relative position of the mounting flanges front & rear so that you can reinstall it in the same relative position. And be mindful of the center joint, do NOT severely "bend" or flex it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's a bit beyond my expertise, but when I get a chance to bring it in again to my local mechanic, I'll run it by him....along with the motor mounts, if I can't tell. If I were to just have him change that CV joint, I wonder what it would cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that's a bit beyond my expertise, but when I get a chance to bring it in again to my local mechanic, I'll run it by him....along with the motor mounts, if I can't tell. If I were to just have him change that CV joint, I wonder what it would cost? Thanks.
It's usually easier for a mechanic to replace the whole halfshaft (drive axle) than just one of the two CV (Constant Velocity) joints.

You can look on the Rock Auto website to price aftermarket parts, or an online dealer to price genuine Honda parts. That way you won't get "taken" on a repair.

RA's halfshafts run from $45 to $122 USD as I write this. One dealer's run about $450. :eek2 :wow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are several possibilities but they depend on what's vibrating. do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Is the steering wheel shaking (oscillating)? or do you feel the vibration in the seat? if you feel it in the steering wheel its something in the front end. if you feel it in the seat it is something in the rear. if you feel it in both its almost always a tire issue.

regardless of where you feel it the first thing to do is to rotate the tires to see if that changes the vibration. if the steering wheel is shaking and you rotate the tires and the vibration moves to the seat or disappears then the problem is with the tires tht were on the front. ditto if the vibration moves from the seat to the steerign wheel--the problem would be with the tires that were on the rear.

the only thing other than tires that is a common cause of vibrations on the 4wd CRV is rear end lubricant that is old. there are additives in the rear differential that become depleted with time. if you can't remember the last time you changed the differential oil then its time to do that (my guess is that you've never changed it). the old oil will make the 4wd engage or lock engaged and that will definitely cause the high speed vibration. its something you need to do regardless of whether or not its the cause of your vibration

so start by getting a better handle on what its doing; rotate the tires had change the differential fluid and go from there.

hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts