Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built in video card and my friend just got a new one, and he gave me his ATi 64 card, is it gonna make a big difference if i put it on my comp?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
personally, i hate embedded video on the mother board because it will allocate some of your main memory for the video card. so say you have 128 and in in your BIOS you have 32 allocated to the video processor. that means you have 96MB of main memory for your system.

what kind of card exactly are you putting in there?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah I would switch over to another card most likely. I think there is normally a jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard video.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It really depends on how new your motherboard is and what kind of video chipset it uses vs. what your friend is giving you.

Some onboard video on the new boards actually aren't too shabby...will get you through most of the current games without all the eye candy enabled.

But not much can be answered without some details.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um it says graphiscs by RAGE ATI 128 and i have a hp paviliion 7940 from bout 3 years ago maybe

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I checked out the specs for the HP Pavillion 7940... judging by what they have on the website, i would install the video card and disable the onboard video.

OEM setup has 128MB RAM with 11MB allocated to an integrated Intel video processor. ATI Rage 128 cards with 16-32MB of RAM so you can't really go wrong with that

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do i disable the vido card? jumper?
or if i install the ati will that disable the onboard one?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
you could try to see if there are jumper settings on the board....but the first thing i would do is check to see if you can change the settings within the BIOS...some of the boards that ive come across had an enable/disable feature in the BIOS....so try that first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts