Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on getting VIN Etching, then getting my windows tinted. I was wondering if with the windows tinted you could still notice the etching. By the way, for anyone living in NJ, do the cops notice/pull you over/fine you for a 50%-35% tint in the front windows? Im thinkin of putting 15% in the back 3, then maybe 35% in the front. suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
When I used to have my teg I drove to NJ pretty often. My car had 5% tint all around and I have never been pulled over by any cop.

Since you are getting 35% in the front, I don't think you should have anything to worry about. Isn't 35% the legal limit in NJ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
35 is light, 20 is even pretty light. I would recommend 15 all around.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In NJ it is illegal to tint the front windows or windshield at all. The back are completely tintable

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have VIN etching done?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think its totally illegal in all states to tint the front windshield unless u have a medical reason to do so...as for etching its hard to see it when even not tinted.

Either way the etching is done on the outside not the inside so the tinting will not affect it in that respect

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
tinting wont affect it youre right on that but the etching is very easy to read if you know where it is. They etch every single peice of glass including mirrors and sunroof if you have one. And most windsheilds come with a very very light tint from the dealer ship the only part of the windshield you can legaly tint is the top part about 7inches from the top down i think. the same section that the visor covers. you cant tint the whole thing like you would your rear windshield.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aight thanks for the help. I'm gonna order the dIY VIN etching kit. Have any of you tried it? If its not too difficult im definately not gonna get it done by pros.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
d336 said:
Aight thanks for the help. I'm gonna order the dIY VIN etching kit. Have any of you tried it? If its not too difficult im definately not gonna get it done by pros.

In this case diy = bad idea. Go with a reputable company like protectetch(sp). My old teg had that done and if your car gets taken they give you like 5g's ontop of what your insurance gives you if they dont recover your parts or car etc. Plus im not sure its a vin they etch into your windows its a serial number they put in that matches your vin if ran. So go find out about insurance etching. IF i can find the paper work for my old vin etching thing ill post up more info im not sure if i have it anymore i sold that car over a year ago

·
Registered
16 Posts
interesting

This VIN etching stuff sounds interesting(never heard about it before).I live in Puerto Rico and we got a big problem with car theft down here.Anybody else have some info on how this works.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
agacu91 said:
This VIN etching stuff sounds interesting(never heard about it before).I live in Puerto Rico and we got a big problem with car theft down here.Anybody else have some info on how this works.Thanks.
My etching was offered to me by the dealer where I bought the car. I'm not sure how to go about it outside of the dealer. It's kind of like an EXTRA insurance policy and yea you do have to pay to have it done. The reason I said not to do it yourself is because you should register it with a company they give you a serial number and then you have the coverage on your car. The company i did it with i think was called protectetch(sp?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts