Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup Guys,

My wife owns a 2000 Honda Accord EX V6. Recently i found out that her car has a parasitic drain. I replaced the Die Hard Gold Battery with a new one (under warranty). I plan on trying to diagnose where the drain is coming from using a multimeter. I suspect it may be the viper alarm (model 5900) which was installed less than a year ago. However, i noticed that there are no wires connected to the battery for the viper alarm. If it isnt connected to the battery where else could it be connected to?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The reason i think it might be the alarm is because i started having the problem shortly after the alarm install. Additionally, based on the research off the net, the majority of the advise offered say its often an after market alarm. I just want to rule it out.

I guess my question now is, how do i temporarily disconnect the alarm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've read of them having rare internal shorts that cause larger than normal drain. (Honda factory alarms are >~50ma draw if that helps as reference) Easy way to rule it out is to just unplug the harness from the "brain" and leave it sit. Probably take voltage measurements before/after. Most of the defensive sensor trips are activated by various grounding switches, so it shouldn't kill the ignition by unplugging the main module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.