Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,633 Posts
RUN!!!!!!

lol, as if it recommends 92 Octane for the D16 :lol2

The only way to increase performance by modifying your ECU is to tune the vehicle in person. Every vehicle, even if they have the same motor, with the same mods need different and unique tunes. These stupid chips just end up dumping more fuel and costing you fuel economy and even horsepower.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i figured its a scam, just looks different then all the others that go on the map sensor. this actualy goes into the obdII port

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Yeah, its fake.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Yea, I mean, it's not even worth it to pay something around $100 for an OBD1 chip tune from some guy on the other side of the country guessing at what would work for your exact setup.

When I got my basemap tune from phearable.net to get myself to my tuner, even their tune was crazy lean @ WOT for my rather simple build....and I gave them my exact setup. Their tune did however have it running safely at cruising speeds, and the idle was perfect....which is what you want in a mail order basemap tune.....but it just goes to show that even a tune like that would be a "scam" if all they offered was that tune for $100 claiming it will make you fast.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
It was prolly lean because of atmosphere change and whatnot. But I thought they usually tune it for running really rich to prevent lean?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
That was my guess when I saw the AFR graph. I compared elevation of where those guys are and where I was at the time....and I think it satisfied my curiosity, but I can't remember. It's not too important because you shouldn't be driving hard on a basemap anyways. The idle was nice, and cruising AFR was bang on.

It wasn't crazy like 17:1, but it was around 15 in the mid-upper RPM range.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Id never drive it with 15, thats pretty close dude. Next time you ever have to do that, take that into consideration and ask em to up the fuel tables a bit

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Yea, but during my drive, it never went above 14.5 which is what you want when cruising anyway. That was probably my first and only time running a mail-in basemap since I can tune it whenever now since I have the ECU. I still trust those guys, and would have them send me one again if I needed another chipped P28.

But you should have seen the look on my tuner's face when I was about 75% through my first dyno run and he just yelled and did the slit your throat motion to get me to shut the run down lol. Only needed 3 pulls after that to get her dialed in perfectly.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Nice :btu I wasnt voicing disapproval of them, just saying let em know they need a bit extra fuel lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.