Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my problem but i am asking for my friend. He just put a B16 in his 93 civic. He also put in a exhaust system, intake, and Apexi VTEC controller. Well first thing is, after he put in the Vtec controller the rev limiter will kick in at 6,300rpm. I don't have any clue why it is doing this. Also it will not kick into Vtec. He said even before when the rev limiter was working fine, vtec still was not kicking in?? So what can cause these two things. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
this is what in know about using the apex-i contorller A. dont try messing with it yourself, From what i here they are pretty difficult to make good use of if your not a professoinal and if you dont have a dyno. My suggestion to your friend would be to take it to a shop to get tuned, although if the prices are anything like what we pay over here it will be expensive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was weired because none of these problems started to happen until he got the vtec controller in. And the vtec controller was in a 2000 SI and worked fine before. He tried to disconnect it but that didn't really do anything. I think he just needs to take it to a shop and get it done right. Im not good with comps, and i know he isn't much better.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
recheck all your wires.
is the car fully warmed up? i know my h22 rev-limits at 6300 when its not fully warmed up. but if vtec is not working, you guys have a few loose wires.
check your oil level too, might be getting abit low....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did all the above so far... it has been warmed all the way up.. we did everthing senceable. oh and (lowcivic66) Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
obviously you dont have the vtec on at too high of rpm then right? like you have it set to turn on at 6400 rpm but its rev limited at 6300.....

just a thought....

getting a CEL? bad solenoid maybe.....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like mentioned above, recheck your wiring connections in between the oil temp/pressure sensors and stuff like that. A bad reading from one of those could cause this problem. Chances are one of the connections was damaged when installing the VAFC.

First thing first, check the wiring then work from there.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
reecheck the wiring did u guys solder them?

once u redo the wiring it should be ok. den leave it alone untill u find a tuner

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
asianpride559 said:
reecheck the wiring did u guys solder them?

once u redo the wiring it should be ok. den leave it alone untill u find a tuner
Yeah i think it is the wiring. We did check the CEL and it put out only one code. It was the Vtec solenoid. That would cause vtec not to kick in, but would that limmit the revs?? Also about some other questions. We did not solder the wires. Now that might have caused a bad connection, but still i don't get why that would limmit the revs. We did take out the whole VAFC and that didn't do shit. We already checked all the connections and everthing is working right. Any other ideas.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
fasthatch90 said:
Yeah i think it is the wiring. We did check the CEL and it put out only one code. It was the Vtec solenoid. That would cause vtec not to kick in, but would that limmit the revs?? Also about some other questions. We did not solder the wires. Now that might have caused a bad connection, but still i don't get why that would limmit the revs. We did take out the whole VAFC and that didn't do shit. We already checked all the connections and everthing is working right. Any other ideas.
the vafc is tapping and slipcing into many of the very important engine sensors. so if ones shorting out or something cutting out is not out of the questions. redo them and solder them and i promise u that it will work

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you saying to redo all the VAFC wires and solder them??? if so then why if i took it all out (the VAFC unit), why would the rev limmiter not kick in?? also wouldn't that throw a code, if i sensor wire is shorting?

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
fasthatch90 said:
are you saying to redo all the VAFC wires and solder them??? if so then why if i took it all out (the VAFC unit), why would the rev limmiter not kick in?? also wouldn't that throw a code, if i sensor wire is shorting?
i cant tell u exactly wat it is on here without seeing it.

but think of it like this trace ur footsteps. if the vafc was done last and all a sudden it started doing it. den most likely it will be something when installin the vafc thats causing this.

u get wat im saying?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i know what you are saying.. also we checked the codes.. if i remember right it was throwing a code 22. Which is the vtec selonid switch. So would that make the rev limmiter go down for some reason?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well we fixed the rev limmiter. That was a wiring issue. I still don't think that the vtec is working yet. I don't really know because we are putting on a new intake mani on it so we haven't really diven it yet. So we will see what happens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts